Post-Game Talk: Islanders at Rangers Preseason Game 1 9/27/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He was not bad. Just give him a chance to redeem himself. For the first time in 3 years he actually had an off-season long enough to recover from injuries.

ye keep telling yourself that. Not gonna be many games into the season before everyone wants him gone again. He isnt good enough anymore, simple as that really

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Any highlights on video anywhere yet ? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Nevermind, got access to NHL TV from Viaplay and found the full game there, awesome :)

For those who don't have NHL TV, are there any highlight videos? Missed the game unfortunately. :shakehead

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This is ****ing ridiculous. This new NHL design is awful. The highlights would have been up by now under the old format.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Skjei was paired with Girardi. That guy is the anchor.

gameShots-2016-09-27-2016010022-NYIatNYR.png

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Any highlights on video anywhere yet ? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Nevermind, got access to NHL TV from Viaplay and found the full game there, awesome :)

Will try this when I get home, hope it works! :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How does this look compared to what you guys think about the game? Rapid reactions?

vEijWZm.png

Zib didn't play enough 5v5, but there was a ton of special teams play, so that makes sense.

I haven't seen the game yet, but based on this chart I think I could guess the usage pretty well. ;)

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
McI had that terrible play in the 2nd period where he was...well i dont know what he was doing, trying to swat the puck or something and fell down, leading to a clear 2 on 1 that one of the goalie came up huge on. So he was still rough in the 2nd.

Staal needs to improve? He played basically a flawless game on defense.

Everything else i agree with you on.

The puck was the in the air, McI went to snatch it out of the air and either misjudged its puck's projection, then tried to recover by reaching for it after it went by him.

In my opinion it was only one game, AV said after the game that McI and a couple other d men played good games, and McI definitely played better as the game went on. I think he will build off of this game.

I just have patience in preseason, I don't let it be OMG this team is awesome or all doom and gloom, that goes for the individual players. First game i expect rust, most players got better as the game went on. I did not think Staal or Girardi were bad, i think just shaking off the rust there, I'm not worrying about them until the end of the preseason.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
We haven't even mentioned Nathan Gerbe is he seriously going to be waived?!

Gerbe hasn't even played in a game yet. There are 3 teams, A, B, and C. Team A just played last night, Team B which contains Gerbe, Nash, Hayes, Vesey, etc. play tomorrow night. We will see, I am sure Gerbe will get a very long hard look at camp. I don't think he will get waived.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Few thoughts.

Mika looked like an animal.

Ck showed good chemistry with mika.

Brandon pirri will help on the pp and can score 20 for this team. Legit shot and should play a top 9 role and certainly the pp.

Clendening showed something that stood out. He's got skills and looked good on the pp point. Need another looksee

Mcilraths game was steady and controlled last night and the goal was very nice. He walked the puck nicely and found some space and delivered a bomb. Showed smarts and progression. After a so-so start, he rebounded nicely. Needs to keep it simple and let the game come to him. Would still like to see more from him near the crease. He does his best work in tight. when he starts chasing out too far or taking bad angles when he pursuing, he can look foolish.

Brady skjei looked ok but made a few errors and fumbled a few pucks. Still think his upside is very high and his effortless stride is always consistent. Hell be fine.

Buchnevich wasn't as involved as I would like. His linemates carried the play and he was either not directly involved or an out right passenger on most scoring plays. Seemed timid and too easy knocked off pucks. Did not see his positioning to be that strong. Lots of roaming in offensive zone rather than in good scoring spots. I saw some continuation from traverse last night and that's not really a good thing. Expecting more from him but allowing for his game to develop. Needs to show more creativity and create some scoring chances.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Girardi though - woof. You could see it in his reaction to the empty netter. (And I say that as a guy who thinks he can at least return to sevicable form.)

Gotta say I disagree there; he got turned around by guys going back to juniors last night and was floating back on plays he pinched.

I respect what the guy did in the past... but time to really move on.

I gave up on him after he was pleading for an icing in the playoffs and missed his assignment who scored a goal with 5-6 seconds to go in a period.

Sure McIlrath flopped the 1st period and looked shaky... but Dylan's skating is leagues ahead of Dan's at this point.

Unfortunately Dan's become a walking rosary bead of vitriol from members of this board.

Calling a spade for what it is:

He's even slower in a faster league. There's nothing you can redeem there.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Few thoughts.

Mika looked like an animal.

Ck showed good chemistry with mika.

Brandon pirri will help on the pp and can score 20 for this team. Legit shot and should play a top 9 role and certainly the pp.

Clendening showed something that stood out. He's got skills and looked good on the pp point. Need another looksee

Mcilraths game was steady and controlled last night and the goal was very nice. He walked the puck nicely and found some space and delivered a bomb. Showed smarts and progression. After a so-so start, he rebounded nicely. Needs to keep it simple and let the game come to him. Would still like to see more from him near the crease. He does his best work in tight. when he starts chasing out too far or taking bad angles when he pursuing, he can look foolish.

Brady skjei looked ok but made a few errors and fumbled a few pucks. Still think his upside is very high and his effortless stride is always consistent. Hell be fine.

Buchnevich wasn't as involved as I would like. His linemates carried the play and he was either not directly involved or an out right passenger on most scoring plays. Seemed timid and too easy knocked off pucks. Did not see his positioning to be that strong. Lots of roaming in offensive zone rather than in good scoring spots. I saw some continuation from traverse last night and that's not really a good thing. Expecting more from him but allowing for his game to develop. Needs to show more creativity and create some scoring chances.

I agree with your analysis up until Buchnevich. Early on he was nervous and timid, but what do you expect, his first North American Pro game (yes, preseason, but pro game nonetheless), still learning english. I thought there were times he wasn't very strong on the puck, but seemed to hold his own pretty well, made some good passes, had a couple good shots, hit the net on most of his shots. I think his next game will be better and i thought the chemistry on that line with Z and Kreids was great through all three of them, not just Z and Kreids carrying them. His D coverage was really good as well.

Just different opinions, I don't expect Buch to come in and light it up and highlight reel plays every play he makes, and I think he was good and he will continue growing as he gets more NHL experience.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Gerbe hasn't even played in a game yet. There are 3 teams, A, B, and C. Team A just played last night, Team B which contains Gerbe, Nash, Hayes, Vesey, etc. play tomorrow night. We will see, I am sure Gerbe will get a very long hard look at camp. I don't think he will get waived.

He's an interesting one. I don't see a fit. I just don't see this guy on a winning team.

However.... goalies hate this guy's shot... they can't pick it up.

Problem is that Gerbe never had the separation speed to get open and clean shots.

He's a body, that's all. Doesn't fill needs.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I have re-watched it and am watching a 3rd time. Buch didn't show anything extraordinary in tight spaces and didn't really connect on any exceptional passes. If anything, I think it's easy to get him off the puck with a little pressure. His forecheck is not exactly intimidating and he doesn't look strong. I've just not been impressed with his 5v5 game.

I'll give you that he looked pretty good on the first PP where Ziba scored. He touched the puck 3 times and made quick, short dishes each time. Nothing exceptionally skilled, but he kept the puck moving.

I didn't say Buch is bad, BTW. I would like to continue playing him with good players and hope he blossoms. I'm just calling it as I see it so far.

Yes, I think Fast is a good 4th liner that can fill in higher (in a pinch) if needed. And I don't think we should put him on waivers in favor of Kovacs...which you are prepared to do immediately.

AV literally word for word:

Speaking of which, AV said this about Buchnevich: “The skill set we’ve all talked about since the start of camp, you saw it tonight. He’s a young player going through the process and hopefully he’ll continue to improve.†- See more at: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2016/...vr.it&utm_medium=twitter#sthash.EUn3HoA9.dpuf

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Gotta say I disagree there; he got turned around by guys going back to juniors last night and was floating back on plays he pinched.

I respect what the guy did in the past... but time to really move on.

I gave up on him after he was pleading for an icing in the playoffs and missed his assignment who scored a goal with 5-6 seconds to go in a period.

Sure McIlrath flopped the 1st period and looked shaky... but Dylan's skating is leagues ahead of Dan's at this point.

Unfortunately Dan's become a walking rosary bead of vitriol from members of this board.

Calling a spade for what it is:

He's even slower in a faster league. There's nothing you can redeem there.

Perhaps I should say "as a guy who has hopes he can at least return to serviceable." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad