Post-Game Talk: Islanders at Rangers Preseason Game 1 9/27/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm starting to wonder if the only defenseman on our team that can play with Girardi...is Ryan McDonagh...nobody else is good enough to cover for him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He was not bad. Just give him a chance to redeem himself. For the first time in 3 years he actually had an off-season long enough to recover from injuries.

I thought the same, but....

ye keep telling yourself that. Not gonna be many games into the season before everyone wants him gone again. He isnt good enough anymore, simple as that really

This is the problem. He's just not there. Dan used to play a simple positional game. He was never a puck handler, except for that outlier season of 10 goals.

Beyond that, he's never been exceptional with the puck--and there in lies the problem with his game... He's so reliant on positioning, and now his legs are pretty much gone--he can't get himself to even basic maneuvers, and don't be surprised if that knee gets worse. A few more blocks like he took last night, and he's going to end up on LTIR with permanent knee issues.

At this point the physical issues he's having are affecting his brain/decision making so heavily that it's VERY noticable. Watch him when the puck is near the goal line--watch him on the cross crease goal that we gave up last night in the 2nd period--He was puck watching the entire time, physically doing nothing to prevent any play from happening. He can't do it anymore.

Dan should just retire if he physically can't play any more. The Rangers will begin to take ice time away from him and he will be forced to either waive his clause, or just be benched. If he wants a permanent position on this team, it can't be on the roster, in which case he's going to need to retire early if he wants to stay in NYC.

They hurt each other. It's a pair that isn't going to work. Think a lot of people are hesitant to admit that maybe Brady isn't ready for full-time NHL work.

It's a long preseason, though. Let's see if he does get some games away from Girardi, how he looks then. It's not ideal that pairing was outplayed by Bodie-McIlrath and Staal-Clendening.

I would like to see Skjei away from Girardi--I know Skjei was bad, but... it's Girardi...

Could it be? The coach show McIlrath some love?!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
it would be a ballsy move, but if AV makes Girardi the 7th defenseman, THAT will truly show he's changed.

Again, preseason and all, but going off last year and last nights game, that would be the better lineup...

Hate to bag on Girardi so much but he's just not playing well

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
General hockey question:

Why is it seemingly so much more important to set up your power play for a right-handed one-timer in the OV spot versus doing the same thing but for a left-handed shooter on the other side of the ice?

I'm assuming it's goalie-handedness, but I'm curious if there is another reason.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
General hockey question:

Why is it seemingly so much more important to set up your power play for a right-handed one-timer in the OV spot versus doing the same thing but for a left-handed shooter on the other side of the ice?

I'm assuming it's goalie-handedness, but I'm curious if there is another reason.

yeah id assume its because youre shooting blocker side rather than glove side. i also think its because so many of the best players are lefties that the rare righty who can blast it causes problems for the goalies just because you dont see/practice it as much.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Again, preseason and all, but going off last year and last nights game, that would be the better lineup...

Hate to bag on Girardi so much but he's just not playing well

it would also encourage Dan to waive his NMC to be exposed in the expansion draft so he can get outta dodge...

i dont think they'll do it mainly because of how well respected Dan is in the locker room and in the front office (and rightfully so). but the better team is the one that dan isnt playing regularly in.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
General hockey question:

Yes, it's all handedness. Most goalies play with their blocker and stick in their right hand. Right hand shots on the left side are basically aiming at that opening. Blocker and stick are heavier and less maneuverable than just a glove, so it's harder for them to make the save on that side if they have to move laterally.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if they treat this camp as a meritocracy.

Some of the good skaters are much better systemic fits than others.

The Rangers need a guy with Bodie and Clendening's skill set to play the type of game they want.

You may not be able to fit both but they played very well last game.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
yeah id assume its because youre shooting blocker side rather than glove side. i also think its because so many of the best players are lefties that the rare righty who can blast it causes problems for the goalies just because you dont see/practice it as much.

Yes, it's all handedness. Most goalies play with their blocker and stick in their right hand. Right hand shots on the left side are basically aiming at that opening. Blocker and stick are heavier and less maneuverable than just a glove, so it's harder for them to make the save on that side if they have to move laterally.

Cool, that's what I figured.

Thanks!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It will be interesting to see if they treat this camp as a meritocracy.

Some of the good skaters are much better systemic fits than others.

The Rangers need a guy with Bodie and Clendening's skill set to play the type of game they want.

You may not be able to fit both but they played very well last game.

Again I'm not convinced one good preseason game means those guys are the best fits for the lineup. Hell I don't even think Bodie stood out last night either. Trading one bad player for another may not be all that much of a help!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Clendening played on a horribad team in Edmonton. Not one forward on that team knows how to play 2-way hockey. Their defensive group is not good. The fact that he didn't set the world on fire out there isn't a surprise.

Coming our of college, Clendening was highly regarded. He could move the puck and really drive the offense and showed as much his 2 years in the AHL. Chicago decided to go in a different direction that following year when many, myself included, thought that Clendening would be the guy to get the job. I believe they went with Rozsival.

He was dealt to Vancouver (Torts was the coach) and his style just didn't fit. He isn't a shot-blocker or player who should be playing that style. No surprise that didn't work.

He was then dealt to Pittsburgh where he played some games at the beginning of the season and then was waived. He made the move to Edmonton and had 6 points in 20 games but his defense was lackluster on a team with defensive issues.

He's soon to be 24 years old, I would say some team should be giving him an extended chance to show what he can do. Dan Boyle was no defensive whiz but he helped drive some offense. Clendening can do the same thing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Clendening played on a horribad team in Edmonton. Not one forward on that team knows how to play 2-way hockey. Their defensive group is not good. The fact that he didn't set the world on fire out there isn't a surprise.

Coming our of college, Clendening was highly regarded. He could move the puck and really drive the offense and showed as much his 2 years in the AHL. Chicago decided to go in a different direction that following year when many, myself included, thought that Clendening would be the guy to get the job. I believe they went with Rozsival.

He was dealt to Vancouver (Torts was the coach) and his style just didn't fit. He isn't a shot-blocker or player who should be playing that style. No surprise that didn't work.

He was then dealt to Pittsburgh where he played some games at the beginning of the season and then was waived. He made the move to Edmonton and had 6 points in 20 games but his defense was lackluster on a team with defensive issues.

He's soon to be 24 years old, I would say some team should be giving him an extended chance to show what he can do. Dan Boyle was no defensive whiz but he helped drive some offense. Clendening can do the same thing.
To add to that: the Pens were a joke under Johnston. Based on what people have said about him on here, he probably would have worked a lot better in the second half of the season.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Based on our needs, Clend might wind up being somewhere between a Stralman and Hunwick for us this year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
To add to that: the Pens were a joke under Johnston. Based on what people have said about him on here, he probably would have worked a lot better in the second half of the season.

I should have stated that his trade coincided with the Pens adding Daley who added a stabilizing presence they needed. He plays a similar run and gun game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino