Post-Game Talk: Islanders at Rangers Preseason Game 1 9/27/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This guy doesn't know a lick of English: Buchnevich!

*camera pans to Buch*

2foARtD.png

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Once Pavel gets a bit more acclimated to the NA game and a bit more confident, that Kreider-Z-Butcher line is going to be very, very difficult to play against.

You started to see hints of that as the game went on. Very creative players, all capable of shooting the puck, all pretty quick.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Few thoughts.

Mika looked like an animal.

Ck showed good chemistry with mika.

Kreider also looked like a man playing against boys. Haven't seen that much power and creativity out of him in...ever. Preseason and all, harder to do against NHL vets and top players, but man I loved seeing him moving his feet and not just using his speed for trying to chase down breakaway passes. Looked confident and strong and yeah and Zibs played off each other real well.

Brandon pirri will help on the pp and can score 20 for this team. Legit shot and should play a top 9 role and certainly the pp.

Was somewhat surprised at how active Pirri was with his skating. For some reason I had the vision that he floated a lot. At least he's trying to forecheck, backcheck, etc. Effort will get you a lot of credit with coaching staffs. And yeah, he and Zibs on the power play makes it tough for teams to defend both of them on opposite sides.

Clendening showed something that stood out. He's got skills and looked good on the pp point. Need another looksee

My hesitation with Clendenning is that when the real NHL competition starts up, he's shown in the past to have slow decision making and be overwhelmed by pressure. He also looks small, almost Matt Bodie small. That said, if he can keep moving the puck confidently against tougher competition then he really makes some decisions hard

Mcilraths game was steady and controlled last night and the goal was very nice. He walked the puck nicely and found some space and delivered a bomb. Showed smarts and progression. After a so-so start, he rebounded nicely. Needs to keep it simple and let the game come to him. Would still like to see more from him near the crease. He does his best work in tight. when he starts chasing out too far or taking bad angles when he pursuing, he can look foolish.

Part of the problem with some of the man system...lot of discipline needed to not get too far out of position no matter how good a skater you are.

Buchnevich wasn't as involved as I would like. His linemates carried the play and he was either not directly involved or an out right passenger on most scoring plays. Seemed timid and too easy knocked off pucks. Did not see his positioning to be that strong. Lots of roaming in offensive zone rather than in good scoring spots. I saw some continuation from traverse last night and that's not really a good thing. Expecting more from him but allowing for his game to develop. Needs to show more creativity and create some scoring chances.

I'd be less harsh on him, I think he chased down pucks well and made some good plays, took some strong shots on net, but yeah was also obviously sitting back a bit compared to his linemates. Makes sense, he said he was super nervous. I think you keep giving him games and see how he settles in, and at the very least I felt he helped enable Zibs and Kreider to do their thing which for a rookie in his first "NHL" game was pretty good.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Once Pavel gets a bit more acclimated to the NA game and a bit more confident, that Kreider-Z-Butcher line is going to be very, very difficult to play against.

You started to see hints of that as the game went on. Very creative players, all capable of shooting the puck, all pretty quick.
If AV keeps them together. :laugh:

God it's so nice to have a shot like that on the team. :yo: :jump::scared::cheers:

Edit: What the hell, is there something wrong with my laptop, or does nhl.com actually look like this:

[collapse=123]
Si5xyhK.png
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Was somewhat surprised at how active Pirri was with his skating. For some reason I had the vision that he floated a lot. At least he's trying to forecheck, backcheck, etc. Effort will get you a lot of credit with coaching staffs. And yeah, he and Zibs on the power play makes it tough for teams to defend both of them on opposite sides.

I understand that AV gave him the same basic speech he gave Pouliot in November of his first year here. "This is your last chance to prove you belong in the NHL" type of thing.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Y'all be pretendin Brassgod didn't have the best one timer on the team on the PP as well.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I like seeing the excitement for our team. Although I have to admit it is kind of funny when some of the people that have said for months that we have no chance to contend, call for us to tank, etc are so pumped up over a B squad preseason game. I guess things can change quickly. :D

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I like seeing the excitement for our team. Although I have to admit it is kind of funny when some of the people that have said for months that we have no chance to contend, call for us to tank, etc are so pumped up over a B squad preseason game. I guess things can change quickly. :D

and they will again soon.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey

Don't worry, if group B loses to the Devils, it will be tank talk and doom and gloom again! :laugh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

God it's so nice to have a shot like that on the team. :yo: :jump::scared::cheers:

Edit: What the hell, is there something wrong with my laptop, or does nhl.com actually look like this:

[collapse=123]
Si5xyhK.png
[/collapse]

******* makes it look like that, yeah.

Ha, even typing it gets blocked. I'm sure you get the idea haha.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Too true...

I'd make a joke that I'm sure he'll put a line of Glass - Zibby - Kreider out there at some point because Glass can "open up space" for them.....but it's always a possibility. :cry:

The shoot-first mentality (never mind it being a skilled shot) is refreshing, for sure.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Kreider also looked like a man playing against boys. Haven't seen that much power and creativity out of him in...ever. Preseason and all, harder to do against NHL vets and top players, but man I loved seeing him moving his feet and not just using his speed for trying to chase down breakaway passes. Looked confident and strong and yeah and Zibs played off each other real well.

Agree he looked very good, but he was a man amongst boys last preseason if i recall. Consistency is his issue.

My hesitation with Clendenning is that when the real NHL competition starts up, he's shown in the past to have slow decision making and be overwhelmed by pressure. He also looks small, almost Matt Bodie small. That said, if he can keep moving the puck confidently against tougher competition then he really makes some decisions hard

He's 6' 200, he skates pretty hunched over which makes him look smaller than he is. He's big enough to be a puck moving dman. He has 25 pounds on Bodie

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Couple of people mentioned Kreider and specifically looking like a man against boys last night.

I couldn't agree more with that. In addition, he really showed a lot of leadership last night. It was a side of him I don't think ive seen so far in his time with the NYR. Was fun to watch. It kind of reminded me of Dubinsky a lot. Dubi went straight from being an underdog rookie, into leadership role in a few seasons. Played physical, made plays, played team first hockey.

On Buchnevich, I cant help but think of Petr Prucha early on. He was always laughing and joking with the team. Looked like he was having fun last night.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
watching last nights game, i honestly felt like Skjei hurt Girardi more than Girardi hurt Skjei.

They hurt each other. It's a pair that isn't going to work. Think a lot of people are hesitant to admit that maybe Brady isn't ready for full-time NHL work.

It's a long preseason, though. Let's see if he does get some games away from Girardi, how he looks then. It's not ideal that pairing was outplayed by Bodie-McIlrath and Staal-Clendening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad