Post-Game Talk: Islanders at Rangers Preseason Game 1 9/27/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I can almost guarantee Clendenning will be in the AHL. Sure I hear he looked decent last night but wait till he faces NHL opponents... that's when it gets ugly. He just isn't very good against top competition. You'll see what I mean in a few weeks

I used to love the guy and drafted him in a ton of keeper leagues a few years ago, but the past few years when watching him in the NHL, ive seen why he never sticks in the big leagues

ShannyCakes

Sep 28, 2016
NY
nice to see the guys I push for doing well.
Kreider
z
Skaps

I agree with that!
I like Skaps a lot more than Raanta in general, glad to see him back in action and doing well. As for Kreider, I think we're all excited to see some life there, haha.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You can see where Jooris hurts his groin at 1330 of the 1st at the Rangers blue line. Almost looked like he went to push off and he slipped almost. He stayed out for the rest of his shift but he was uncomfortable.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I bet Brady was just playing badly on purpose so the Skjei-Girardi pair would be broken up. Smart career move.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Went to the game and a few notes;

Pros:
The Butcher, Mr. Z, and Chris are very exciting to watch.

Brandon Pirri looked very good

Skjei had one good rush up the ice, which led to a PP - everything else he did seemed complacent wouldn't say bad

McIlrath played a great 3rd

Clendenning had moments but at the same time I think he's AHL bound (edit I just Clendenning was voted 3rd for player of the game? Uh I wouldn't go that far. Pirri stuck out way more)

Neutral:

Marc Staal - just very meh
Tanner Lapierre - I can envision Lapierre playing 4LC oh god

Negatives:

Dan Girardi - he was the worst defenseman out there - give it up

The fans - now I know it's only pre season but I heard a bit trash talk in my section and the Rangers fan completely butchered saying Tavares' name and then kept mentioning getting Callahan back. I had to intervene at one point so the Islander didn't get the better of him. But my god I know it's pre-season, but wow, learn up or shut up

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Went to the game and a few notes;

Pros:
The Butcher, Mr. Z, and Chris are very exciting to watch.

Brandon Pirri looked very good

Skjei had one good rush up the ice, which led to a PP - everything else he did seemed complacent wouldn't say bad

McIlrath played a great 3rd

Clendenning had moments but at the same time I think he's AHL bound (edit I just Clendenning was voted 3rd for player of the game? Uh I wouldn't go that far. Pirri stuck out way more)

Neutral:

Marc Staal - just very meh
Tanner Lapierre - I can envision Lapierre playing 4LC oh god

Negatives:

Dan Girardi - he was the worst defenseman out there - give it up

The fans - now I know it's only pre season but I heard a bit trash talk in my section and the Rangers fan completely butchered saying Tavares' name and then kept mentioning getting Callahan back. I had to intervene at one point so the Islander didn't get the better of him. But my god I know it's pre-season, but wow, learn up or shut up

These are casual fans you're talking about. Asking too much of them.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Guys....Danny G is gonna return to his days as a top two d this year. You watch. He was just shaking off the rust last night. Skjei didn't look all that great either. Only game one.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

A guy at my office a few weeks ago was talking about what line Duclair will play on this year. It can always be worse.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm watching this game right now.

The McIlrath 'bad' play was nothing more than miscommunication. He could have reached that puck but thought Bodie was taking it.

Skjei made quite a few solid plays. Girardi was the anchor and constantly led to Skjei running around.

Hrivik >>Lapierre
Hrivik's speed looks so much improved from last year. That has been the only thing holding him back.

Stromwall was good in spurts. You can tell he is a couple years older than all ace by his strength. He's closer than I thought.

Staal was solid.

Clendening with Staal was mui bueno. Having a smooth skater and a guy who likes the puck on his stick is the ideal partner for Staal. If he keeps up his solid play, I think he should make the team.

Bodie was quietly impressive. His skating really allows him to be in solid position all the time.

Pirri was good. His shot is lethal. Does anyone else think he looks similar to Brassard in both looks and the way he plays on the PP?

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
DSHqOxp.jpg

aB85kzQ.jpg

ZFX2lZo.jpg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He did his job with sheltered minutes...I don't know if I say he was "really good defensive" though.

It's not like Clendening will be playing hard minutes, especially on this team where only Girardi is allowed to because he's so good at it.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
There is no evidence for this possibly happening.

Who knows what lurks in the mind of Alan Vigno.Remember this is the guy that trotted out Tanner on how many occasions trailing by a goal with under five minutes in a game?

In AV's mind the biggest thing in Clendening's favor is that he isn't Dylan McIlrath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln