Post-Game Talk: Islanders at Rangers Preseason Game 1 9/27/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
How does this look compared to what you guys think about the game? Rapid reactions?

vEijWZm.png

Zib didn't play enough 5v5, but there was a ton of special teams play, so that makes sense.

Seems fairly accurate. I think Zib was also rotating in some other lines with the team being down 1 man so that probably has something to do with his difference compared to his usual linemates

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
How does this look compared to what you guys think about the game? Rapid reactions?

vEijWZm.png

Zib didn't play enough 5v5, but there was a ton of special teams play, so that makes sense.

Looks about right, my gut said Bodie was having a rougher game then that though, he's the big surprise for me in that chart.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This was a much faster team and game than the Rangers iced last year.

Hrivik looks to be a early front runner for that 4th line LW/C spot. Jensen got sticked checked off the puck every time he got it. Didn't win battles.

Hrivik looked like he could earn the coaches trust.

Clendening is as advertised as a 4A player at the very least. He fits a need.... he played well... excellent on the PP. Excellent with the puck. He's a very good passer and decision maker. Let's see how he handles a steady set of NHL players against him.

Bodie surprised me the most in a pleasant way. Smart, quick bow legged skater that can really move the puck.

The Rangers desperately need puck movers... I wouldn't write Matt off yet.

Tale of two games for Dylan McIlrath. First half of the game he was awful. Looked like he was trying new skating techniques is what I said earlier. Lost his balance 4-5 times in the D-Zone.

2nd half was much better. Complemented Bodie very well. Sam said he got a new skating coach.. in the 1st half it looked like he was thinking his skating... the 2nd half... he just played.

Showed some good mobility if not agility if you get my drift. Good smart shot for the goal. Redeemed the game for himself.

Skjei was bad... but he looked like he was out there to mask Girardi. Girardi had a few decent shifts where he was invisible... but the guy was beat repeatedly.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Zibanejad in the Ovechkin role on the PP makes me very happy.

I liked Zib, Buch and Kreider. Pirri was very good as well. Hrivik was solid.

Clendening looked decent. Definitely could be an asset on the PP.

McIlrath started not great but came around.

Skjei was god awful.

Is it just me or did Staal look to be skating much better than he did all last season? Last season every stride was a chore and we was always lumbering, I was paying extra attention to him tonight and though he was skating excellent.

Skapski and Hellberg were both very strong in net.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
McI had that terrible play in the 2nd period where he was...well i dont know what he was doing, trying to swat the puck or something and fell down, leading to a clear 2 on 1 that one of the goalie came up huge on. So he was still rough in the 2nd.

Staal needs to improve? He played basically a flawless game on defense.

Everything else i agree with you on.

He blocked a pass through the neutral zone and then tried to pressure the bouncing puck, it bounced behind him unfortunately and he didn't have a prayer of turning around and catching the forwards, so he kind of tried to dive for it. It wasn't overall a good play but it wasn't a horrible play. If he makes that block and controls the puck or knocks it to a teammate, then it's a fantastic play. I didn't mind it and it's not enough for me to mark him down for the whole period when he managed the puck quite well otherwise, which is the big thing I'm looking for.

Didn't think Staal was managing the puck that great which is why I want to see him do better.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

vEijWZm.png

Wow, G picking up right where he left off...and bringing Skjei with him.

Not surprised at Kovacs & Stromwall. From watching the game, they looked a bit out of sorts. Kovacs worse than Stromwall.

Pirri is a shot machine.

Staal did a hell of a job suppressing tonight. Didn't realize he was that good.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Leslie tweeted back at me and said she'd ask AV to explain the Jooris injury and what they know, i was upset that we didnt get to see too much of him.

TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE HATING ON SKJEI, HE WAS NOT TERRIBLE JUST MADE QUITE A FEW ROOK MISTAKES.

Buch was clearly a little uncomfortable but even with that made a multitude of great plays and i really hope his offense starts clicking. The few shots he took in the first were hard and well aimed, hope he can pop one in soon.

Zibby is Zibby, him and Kreider made it very clear that they were playing against a preseason squad.

Clendening is going to make this difficult for Holden and Rangers brass.

Unfortunately Kovacs and Stromwall couldnt quite find their chemistry tonight, we'll see if they get another shot.

Hrivik played well but i just dont know how he fits into this organization, for that past few years he's come into camp and impressed but i just dont know if he cuts it into our mold.

Goalies played well, Bodie is freakishly thin, i still dont like Staal, Girardi was fine but meh lets just hope he can be reliable.

Pirri was well worth the extra contract.

CUT LAPIERRE, send Glass to Hartford.

Team was offensive tonight but lets hope they can keep that up against real dmen and not the garbage that is the islanders tonight. Quenneville and Graham looked god awful tonight but that none of our concern.

Boy im glad hockey is back:yo:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Zbad is insane, Kreider looks VERY good, Buchnevich was quiet but effective, Clendening was very good as ell. Skapski looked fantastic in his half.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hey guys, anyone got some highlights to the Zibby 3 points? Glad you guys like him, he was one of my fav players on the Sens :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Staal-Clendening was a nice pair. I'd like to see that pairing get another look against a more NHLer-filled roster.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I have to say Lapierre played very well. Knows the system... 4th line C/W. He can play that role... he didn't look like he was plodding out there... his conditioning looked a lot better out there.

All coaches have their guys... Lapierre might fill a role that AV likes.

I think the guy ends up getting a longer try out than people expected.

Pirri and Clendening are average joe physique type of guys... Pirri's conditioning on a longer shift... he missed a backcheck... historically he's known for this... the Sammy Gagner type of drift... while he was good... basically as expected... Pirri did have that gaff.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
thoughts...

1) Pavel Zibane-Kreider WOW!!!! They really looked like they have been playing alongside each other for years. Instant chemistry. #93 and #20 are a scary combo to contain. There is major size and power between them but both players have very good hockey sense as well, and to have not 1 but 2 players with size and wheels like that is going to be fun to watch. Onto Pavel...Loved the quick release and ability to get the puck on net. It was like he provided instantaneous offense from anywhere. He's got a tricky stick. Super impressed with the trio as a whole.

2) Marek Hrivik looks like he belongs. Penciled him in as the long shot however he was very noticeable tonight. He looks like he is bigger to me then he was last season...or at least more powerful. He keeps playing like that and I think it will be very hard for the Rangers to send him down. Excellent showing for the Slovak tonight.

3) Clendaning really looked comfortable out there. Was Rangers best defenseman tonight. Game couldn't have gone any better for him. Made good decisions, crisp passes. Looks like he belongs. Outplayed McIlrath and Staal.

4) Pirri - This guy can shoot the puck. In a tense battle for forward positions Brandon Pirri just made a statement. It's only game 1, and preseason at that however...a guy that can shoot the puck as well as he was tonight AV and staff are certainly taking notice.

5) Kovacs and Stromwall- AHL written all over them

6) Nick Jensen - Meh!

7) McIlrath - Beauty of a goal and looks like he got a little more on his shot this season. Despite the late goal, I don't think he played all that well. In fact he looked out of place at times and exposed. Big Mac is one of my fav prospects but have to call it like it is.

8) Skapski- Who are you and what did you do with Mackenzie?

9) Bodie- Good instincts.

10) Congrats to Sam.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Matches my eye test. Thanks for the chart Adam :yo:

You got it, dude. Seems that the positive feedback has carried over from the World Cup thread and that these are a cool idea. I'll do my best to do them for every game :)

My thoughts:

Was overly surprised with Clendening. I really hope that AV and the staff give him and McIlrath a long look, and really consider their options outside of Girardi.

Skjei was horrid. How much of that was G and how much of that was Skjei? If we open with a Skjei-G third pairing though, well, tonight wasn't a very good preview.

Zbad... wow. He and Kreider have definite chemistry, and Buch didn't look out of place, either.

That PP1 unit was dominant, as well. Four-forwards is something I'd really like to see carry over to the regular season. Thinking McDonagh will look mighty fine feeding ZBad in the OV spot if Clendening isn't there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's handy having a big shooter on either side of the ice...Pirri one side, Zibs on the other, teams can't just overload one side to protect against the one timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA