Post-Game Talk: Islanders at Rangers Preseason Game 1 9/27/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Of course Sens fans will like Brassard, he's awesome. Plus he gets to play with that one defenseman, what's his name...Phaneuf?

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
As i said during the GDT among the players that stood out; Max Lap played a solid game tonight and if anyone doesnt think so then youre just being foolish and stubborn. Doesnt mean he should make the team or will but he earned another game

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
As i said during the GDT among the players that stood out; Max Lap played a solid game tonight and if anyone doesnt think so then youre just being foolish and stubborn. Doesnt mean he should make the team or will but he earned another game

We said the same thing about glass 2 years ago.....

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I agree with a lot of what's been said (loved the entire Zibanejad line, Clendening was great, Pirri looked like he deserves a spot, Hrivik made a case, the two goalies were excellent, etc.), but I think the hate for McI and Skjei is a little overblown - not saying they were great by any stretch at all, but more up and down than just bad, especially as the game wore on. Girardi though - woof. You could see it in his reaction to the empty netter. (And I say that as a guy who thinks he can at least return to sevicable form.)

Staal, on the other hand, I don't think is getting near enough credit - granted, it's only one game, and against a preseason squad, but he looked like the Staal of old to me. I was incredibly encouraged. (But again, it's only one game.)

Conversely, I think Bodie is getting more favorable reviews than I would give. He looks fine on offense - but then he always looks fine when his team has the puck. On defense I saw him get knocked out of position time and time again.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We said the same thing about glass 2 years ago.....

Completely disagree. Glass was pispoor. Lap as a center wasnt overmatched on the dot, is faster than Glass, therefore quicker with putting pressure on the puck, with better offensive ability than Glass. Theyre not the same player.

Again I dont like Max Lap but he is certainly better than Glass

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree with a lot of what's been said (loved the entire Zibanejad line, Clendening was great, Pirri looked like he deserves a spot, Hrivik made a case, the two goalies were excellent, etc.), but I think the hate for McI and Skjei is a little overblown - not saying they were great by any stretch at all, but more up and down than just bad, especially as the game wore on. Girardi though - woof. You could see it in his reaction to the empty netter. (And I say that as a guy who thinks he can at least return to sevicable form.)

Staal, on the other hand, I don't think is getting near enough credit - granted, it's only one game, and against a preseason squad, but he looked like the Staal of old to me. I was incredibly encouraged. (But again, it's only one game.)

Conversely, I think Bodie is getting more favorable reviews than I would give. He looks fine on offense - but then he always looks fine when his team has the puck. On defense I saw him get knocked out of position time and time again.

What reaction are you referring to?

Either way I thought he looked exactly like he did last season. Slow, clueless in the d zone, running around like s chicken with no head on...

Basically, he's s 7th defenseman ... sad day, but g has expired and I don't see him getting any better. At 5.5M, he's gotta go...

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Completely disagree. Glass was pispoor. Lap as a center wasnt overmatched on the dot, is faster than Glass, therefore quicker with putting pressure on the puck, with better offensive ability than Glass. Theyre not the same player.

Again I dont like Max Lap but he is certainly better than Glass

True. As a 13th I'm ok with him

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
True. As a 13th I'm ok with him

The thing is he isnt good enough to be the 13th. At least not on this team. Theres too much depth.

Tonight was merely just an observation of one game and he was good.

It is hard to speculate lines right now with all of the rumors swirling around Trouba.

You have a bottom 6 consisting of guys like (even though Nash has been working in with Hayes and Vesey which I like):

Hayes-Vesey-Grabner-Fast-Jooris-Gerbe-Hrivik-Jensen-Lindberg*

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nice to see Dylan score. I liked how he walked the blue line a bit to put himself in a nice shooting position.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Marc Staal was fantastic not ok he was fantastic. His skating looks night and day from last year.

Call it like it is looks every bit as good as he's been in the past. Played hurt last year no doubt.

20/93/89 were fantastic Buch is extremely skilled

Pirri is a hell of a player always have liked him and what he brings to the PP with Yandle gone I just don't know where he fits without moving zucc (which may happen)

I don't trust Clendening against legit nhlers he's a dominant AhLer so not surprised to see him excel tonight.

Mcilrath just needs to play

Skjei ehh

Girardi ehh still turning pucks over

I'm a huge fan of Skapski not sure what happened to him last year but that kid is very good every time I've seen him he's impressed me big time.

Hellberg love his size could be an nhl backup id take him over Raanta who's tiny looking in net.

Hrivik ehh tweener hopefully gets thru Waivers.

Huge blow to Jooris getting hurt.

Zibanejad should be parked on that pp all year no reason to have Derek Stepan who inlove but shoots like Julie Chu on that circle. Z should be ripping shots ala ovechkin all year he'd put up 30 easy that way.

Again really glad to see Staal skating effortlessly bigtime shut down dman when he's at his best.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Skapski: wow, so much above expectations

Zbad: really, really good

Hell: solid, but should work on rebound control

Hrivik: good game. Looks a little stronger, a little faster, slightly better shot. Given how close he was before, he's a serious candidate for top-13. Let's see how he does against fewer AHLers.

Butcher: meh. It's 2/3 AHLers and borderline NHLers. The level of hockey is only slightly higher than in the AHL playoffs in the second round and further when garbage teams are out and remaining teams get NHL reinforcements. He should bexpect better than this, but it's progress over Traverse.

Rookie D: both made mistakes, but Skjei made more and looked not ready, while Mcilrath made fewer errors and seems like after a preseason adjustment will be ready for top-6 duty.

Clendening was good, but he spent almost the whole last season as a #7 in Pittsburgh and #6 in Edmonton. Most of the previous year too. He can play.

Kreider good, but considering the opposition, he should be good.

Lappy: not bad. If he gets a 2-way contract and starts in Hartford to be called up for injuries, not bad.

Kovacs: speed, not much else.

Strom: will be an AHL third liner along with Kovacs.

Last edited:

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
20/93/89 were fantastic Buch is extremely skilled

I didn't see extreme skill from Buch on display tonight. I'm not saying he won't get there...but you're treating him with kid gloves. He was merely "present" tonight.

Beacon said:
Butcher: meh. It's 2/3 AHLers and borderline NHLers. The level of hockey is only slightly higher than in the AHL playoffs in the second round and further when garbage teams are out and remaining teams get NHL reinforcements. He should bexpect better than this, but it's progress over Traverse.

I agree with this. Buch hasn't shown much yet. He was carried by Vesey & Boo @ Traverse, and was likewise carried by Ziba & Kreids tonight. He's been given the Red Carpet treatment thus far in regards to linemates, and has yet to show the potential we hope is there.

I'm willing to be patient and continue playing him with good linemates, though. I just don't think he's shown us much yet...and I'm not gonna sugar coat mediocre performances.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't on display. Maybe pay more attn?

His plays in small spaces nice little passes great shot very skilled player easy to see rewatch it

Then again you think Fast is a good player so we may not see the game the same way

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Buch's skill was obvious. Personally, I think his game is more cerebral and non-flashy than people realized. I don't really expect him to be the type of skill where people go "WOW HOW DID HE DO THAT", I see him moreso as a quiet, efficient point producer. I think the flash will come a bit later, but I don't see that kind of player overall.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't on display. Maybe pay more attn?

His plays in small spaces nice little passes great shot very skilled player easy to see rewatch it

Then again you think Fast is a good player so we may not see the game the same way

I have re-watched it and am watching a 3rd time. Buch didn't show anything extraordinary in tight spaces and didn't really connect on any exceptional passes. If anything, I think it's easy to get him off the puck with a little pressure. His forecheck is not exactly intimidating and he doesn't look strong. I've just not been impressed with his 5v5 game.

I'll give you that he looked pretty good on the first PP where Ziba scored. He touched the puck 3 times and made quick, short dishes each time. Nothing exceptionally skilled, but he kept the puck moving.

I didn't say Buch is bad, BTW. I would like to continue playing him with good players and hope he blossoms. I'm just calling it as I see it so far.

Yes, I think Fast is a good 4th liner that can fill in higher (in a pinch) if needed. And I don't think we should put him on waivers in favor of Kovacs...which you are prepared to do immediately.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Say what you want about Skjei but Girardi is the biggest anchor in the league. He gotta go... Buy him out and just get over with it. He is done

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Say what you want about Skjei but Girardi is the biggest anchor in the league. He gotta go... Buy him out and just get over with it. He is done

He was not bad. Just give him a chance to redeem himself. For the first time in 3 years he actually had an off-season long enough to recover from injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad