Is Marner the best passer in the league

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
No, not even close. Marnsy is great, but not elite. I'd say there's at least 30 passers better than him.
OK go ahead and make the list, I'll wait.

Marner got his 100th assist 2 days ago, making him the 4th fastest in franchise history to get there when starting with the franchise. 170ish games. Syl Apps was one of the other 3, forget the other 2.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
7Kpp.gif

OK go ahead and make the list, I'll wait.

Marner got his 100th assist 2 days ago, making him the 4th fastest in franchise history to get there when starting with the franchise. 170ish games. Syl Apps was one of the other 3, forget the other 2.

He's effective passer, but not the best. There's no point making a list, because it will just start an endless debate.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You already started it with your lovely, "at least 30 better passer" statement, we are just waiting for your list mate, I'm really curious.
If I could interject there should be a correlation between being a good passer and the number of assists you generate. Marner was tied for 33rd most assists, the team didn't lack scoring ability as it was tied for 2nd in most goals scored. We couldn't say he was handicapped there. So although good i'd agree he is far from the best passer in the league.

Reactions: Kevs Security

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
You already started it with your lovely, "at least 30 better passer" statement, we are just waiting for your list mate, I'm really curious.

Alright, my man.

McDavid, Crosby, Kane, Backstrom, Kucherov
Malkin, Kuznetsov, Gaudreau, Aho, Barkov
Scheifele, Marchand, MacKinnon, Seguin, Panarin
Point, Trochek, Hall, Barzal, Bergeron
Getzlaf, Eichel, Giroux, Voracek, Rantanen
Matthews, Kopitar, Benn, Draisatl, Duchene
HM: Nylander, Wheeler, Zuccarello, Marchessault, Larkin, Toews, Hischier, Krejci, Granlund, Wennberg, Reinhart, Petterson etc, etc.

And that's just the forwards. Tbh even Thornton is better. Now witness me as I include Karlsson, Klingberg, Keith Doughty, Josi...

-Kevs

Last edited:
Reactions: Confucius

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Alright, my man.

HM: Nylander, Wheeler, Zuccarello, Marchessault, Larkin, Toews, Hischier, Krejci, Granlund, Wennberg, Reinhart, Petterson etc, etc.

And that's just the forwards. Tbh even Thornton is better. Now witness me as I include Karlsson, Klingberg, Keith Doughty, Josi...

-Kevs
Did you just randomly select nhl all stars and arbitrarily proclaim them to be better passers? Some of those forward selections are bit odd, guys like Scheifle, Duchene and Seguin are poor choices and MacKinnon has great vision but his passes are often off line.

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Did you just randomly select nhl all stars and arbitrarily proclaim them to be better passers? Some of those forward selections are bit odd, guys like Scheifle, Duchene and Seguin are poor choices and MacKinnon has great vision but his passes are often off line.

Their passing abilities are superior when compared to Marner's. Just facts, b. Scheifele is an elite playmaker with a great pass and he can deliver it under very difficult circumstances too. These guys lack no imagination when they think of ways to set up their linemates for a goal. More consistent than Marner as well, even if they don't often make it to the highlight reel.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Their passing abilities are superior when compared to Marner's. Just facts, b. Scheifele is an elite playmaker with a great pass and he can deliver it under very difficult circumstances too. These guys lack no imagination when they think of ways to set up their linemates for a goal. More consistent than Marner as well, even if they don't often make it to the highlight reel.
I see them play all the time and have followed Mackinnon pretty intensively since St Mary’s so I disagree.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No one is buying your garbage, you're not fooling anyone.

Reactions: IPS

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If I could interject there should be a correlation between being a good passer and the number of assists you generate. Marner was tied for 33rd most assists, the team didn't lack scoring ability as it was tied for 2nd in most goals scored. We couldn't say he was handicapped there. So although good i'd agree he is far from the best passer in the league.
You mean playing with 4th line players and 3 line players he was not near the top of the league! How bad is he. Since Jan last year he is in the Top 5 in the league.

Context is your friend.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Alright, my man.

-Kevs
Thanks you removed all doubt. Even included Nylander which is a joke.

Stay off our board. You are fishing period.

Last edited:

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
When you are wearing Leafs hate googles it is hard to see.

He is elite as a passer and as a player period.

Serious question: name 10 of the players who are better at passing. I need a laugh.
Dude I'm a Leafs fan from Toronto. Just not seeing this Marner magic yet. He's a good one but you are jumping the gun heavily here.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He's amazing and will be one of the elite play makers or years to come, but I cannot put him as the best in the game at the moment.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
I think many are understating how incredible Marner's vision/hockeysense/passing is. I don't think there are more than 5-6 players who can arguably be in that discussion.

I'd rank him in the top group with Gaudreau, Crosby, Kane, Kuznetsov and pretty much it.

In the past 20 years or so, Thornton, Getzlaf really stand out as exceptional set-up guys since the days of Gretzky, Lemieux, Hawerchuk, Peter Stastny, Marcel Dionne.

The quickness that Marner makes decisions (quick brain, hands and feet) is incredible. Crosby is right there though, despite the lack of explosive stats, watching him play is still a treat.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think many are understating how incredible Marner's vision/hockeysense/passing is. I don't think there are more than 5-6 players who can arguably be in that discussion.

I'd rank him in the top group with Gaudreau, Crosby, Kane, Kuznetsov and pretty much it.

In the past 20 years or so, Thornton, Getzlaf really stand out as exceptional set-up guys since the days of Gretzky, Lemieux, Hawerchuk, Peter Stastny, Marcel Dionne.

The quickness that Marner makes decisions (quick brain, hands and feet) is incredible. Crosby is right there though, despite the lack of explosive stats, watching him play is still a treat.
Backstrom?

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Backstrom?

there are other elite players with great vision/passing - Backstrom, Tavares, Scheifele, Wheeler, Malkin, Marchand, Barzal, Giroux, Panarin - I just think Marner, with the puck on his stick, means everyone is a threat to score. I think the closest that I've seen a lot of, Johnny Gaudreau.

The eyes-behind-the-head kind of passer

That's the most impressive part of Marner's game and differentiates him from other great offensive players.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Alright, my man.

Scheifele, Marchand, MacKinnon, Seguin
, Panarin

-Kevs

The bolded are absolutely laughable.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Alright, my man.

-Kevs
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

That thing you mentioned last, the pace in his decision-making, and his vision is a combination that almost nobody in the league can match. He's got great passing technique and precision as well, but not quite a standout in the same way.

I've been saying it for a while now. The way we've used depth has blinded some to just how good some of our younger guys are. What keeps them from some absolutely ridiculous comparisons is mainly opportunity. And I know people have qualms about projecting stats based on per minute metrics, but you can reverse the process. What did Pastrnak do over the last few years up until the point where he played as much as Willy eventually did? Comparison then looks like this:

Pastrnak = 127 points
Marner = 125 points
Nylander = 113 points

Marner is side by side, and Willy 7 points per season after. Further context puts them even closer. It makes a huge difference.

Same kind of thing can be done for Matthews, which is why he often gets ranked so very high.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Alright, my man.

-Kevs
That HM list, just lol.

Sam Reinhart?!?!?

Bwahahahha

Reactions: Leafs at Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad