Is Marner the best passer in the league

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
babcock quote
Mitch thinks what your going to do before you think what your going to do

Our whole power play is run through marner. Is he the best passer in the game today.

I fix Babs comment ... ;)
  • "Mitch knows where you should be at as the play continuously evolves"

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Gretzky was Gretzky.

But Marner ... on the power play ...

Look, last season, I don't know about you guys or gals, every time Marner was on the power play, I was talking to the TV, give it to Marner! Give it to Marner!

Gretzky did not overpower anyone with his speed or shot. But he anticipated better than anyone, and out deek you always.

That's Marner on the power play, last year and right now. Also when he plays with Kadri there is some of that.

This is what is really encouraging too, which is what happened last night.

Matthews on the other side of the ice, he was beginning to do his own Marner thing too.

Holy S***!

That's why Micky Redmond was saying, oh no not again!

Because we were all thinking the same thing, oh wow, they did it again!

:dunce:

Reactions: Tavares to Marner

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
Most of what Marner does; I don't get how someone can have that type of vision.

Each time I watch him, it's like watching that commercial where the guy tries peanut butter for the first time everytime he eats it.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
McDavid isn't the best passer. At least, not the way I would define his skillset. He's simply great at creating plays with his speed for simple tap-ins. That's what makes him the best player in the world.

When I think of a good passer, I think of someone who can pick people out even from a standstill or on the move. Whether it involves a saucer pass, shot pass, or a flip over the top. Thornton or H. Sedin would be examples of this in their heyday.

As for Marner, I wouldn't say he is the best, but his vision on the PP is ridiculously good. You'll never see Marner telegraph his passes (something Willy was guilty of last season), which makes Matthews/Tavares even scarier.

Reactions: The_Chosen_One

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Didn't we have this thread already? Like a week ago? I remember writing something about the difference between playmaking and passing, and that the technically best passers might not be the ones we commonly believe. I know I've read that Giordano for example makes an insane amount of passes with a high difficulty and a stunning success rate. Sounds like three metrics the best passers should do well in.

The quote in OP to me talks very little about his ability as a passer, and his tremendous vision and hockey IQ as a playmaker.

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Didn't we have this thread already? Like a week ago? I remember writing something about the difference between playmaking and passing, and that the technically best passers might not be the ones we commonly believe. I know I've read that Giordano for example makes an insane amount of passes with a high difficulty and a stunning success rate. Sounds like three metrics the best passers should do well in.

The quote in OP to me talks very little about his ability as a passer, and his tremendous vision and hockey IQ as a playmaker.

Exactly. I agree.

Great passer but not the best. However his high hockey IQ and ability to find open players is near the top (playmaker).

He sees plays develop and knows where someone will be... but a lot of players wouldn't make a play themselves and then find that open guy to tap it in because they don't have that IQ . The pass itself after he opens up the team defending .... it could be the easiest pass ever and he usually puts it right on the tape.

It's what he does a lot of times before that... that's what is special.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
babcock quote
Mitch thinks what your going to do before you think what your going to do

Our whole power play is run through marner. Is he the best passer in the game today.

While some might say 5 games is too early to anoint him so, I urge you to post this on the main board.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Elite yes. Top 20 for sure.

Has ways to go before he's the best, if that even ever happens.

Also Sundin used to rack up 40+ PPP a season so these bums need to step it up before we give them PP-god status.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
Interesting. According to Babcock Marner is the Zlatan Ibrahimovic of hockey obviously.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He's up there, but not the best. We'll see how he does this season, but at this point I think these guys are more proven playmakers.

Thornton
Gaudreau
Voracek
Wheeler
Klingberg
Karlsson
Crosby

Reactions: Rookie109

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
McDavid isn't the best passer. At least, not the way I would define his skillset. He's simply great at creating plays with his speed for simple tap-ins. That's what makes him the best player in the world.

When I think of a good passer, I think of someone who can pick people out even from a standstill or on the move. Whether it involves a saucer pass, shot pass, or a flip over the top. Thornton or H. Sedin would be examples of this in their heyday.

As for Marner, I wouldn't say he is the best, but his vision on the PP is ridiculously good. You'll never see Marner telegraph his passes (something Willy was guilty of last season), which makes Matthews/Tavares even scarier.

Not true... Marner is guilty of telegraphing passes, but he's improved a lot. Just last game he gave the puck away with a very obvious pass that was easily picked off (I was shaking my head, even I saw it coming).

I remember when Marner's first preseasons, his passes were junior level speed and he struggled alot. He's learned that NHL has much harder velocity of passes and now he's really rifling passes... which I think has helped him succeed at this level (in comparison to his early struggles).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No. There are still a few that are better than him.

One of them being Connor freaking McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad