Is Marner the best passer in the league

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
There's the physical act of passing the puck and there's the art of passing it to the open man in position to score.
I don't know where marner stands on the former, but on the latter he's elite.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Kessel is really good at setting up goals too. Insane vision.

McDavid
Crosby
Gaudreau
Giroux
Kucherov
Kessel
Marner
Backstrom
Karlsson
Thornton

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Certainly top 5, but the best is debatable and maybe with time he might be the best passer in the league. This is just the 3rd season he is playing in NHL.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
He should really rack up the Assists this year im guessing 65+ playing with JT + the crazy PP. Tops in my mind recently are Barzal and Kuznetsov

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I'm gonna leave this below

IdenticalNecessaryGrassspider-size_restricted.gif

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
McDavid isn't the best passer. At least, not the way I would define his skillset. He's simply great at creating plays with his speed for simple tap-ins. That's what makes him the best player in the world.

When I think of a good passer, I think of someone who can pick people out even from a standstill or on the move. Whether it involves a saucer pass, shot pass, or a flip over the top. Thornton or H. Sedin would be examples of this in their heyday.

As for Marner, I wouldn't say he is the best, but his vision on the PP is ridiculously good. You'll never see Marner telegraph his passes (something Willy was guilty of last season), which makes Matthews/Tavares even scarier.
Agree. McDavid is the best skater in the NHL by far and it has to do with how he generates momentum. His stride is perfect, clean, very efficient and I'd say skating is a critical part of his game.

Marner, in contrast, is more of an orthodox passer, i.e. Gretzky, Savard, Thornton or even Scott Gomez and if we're going to throw in defensemen, Leech and Pronger. These types of players are defined by their passing and it's true that Pronger was insanely physical, producing beautiful passes from a standstill was natural to him. Now does that mean Marner is the best in the league? I'm not so sure about that yet. Easily top 10, though.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
idk about that but he's without a doubt our best playmaker. The kid's got vision

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
I think Mitch is a premier passer, but he needs to be a scorer of great goals (as opposed to a great goal scorer) to open things up on the ice for his passing.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think Mitch is a premier passer, but he needs to be a scorer of great goals (as opposed to a great goal scorer) to open things up on the ice for his passing.

To date... isn't Marner meeting that expectation? I find that he will score a dazzling goal here and there (Detroit Winter Classic)(Reimer Goal)... but generally speaking his goal scoring ability doesn't seem to be great.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
He's scored some absolute dandies, but it's clear his passing is his strength. A YouTube video of Marner's best passes might be 10x longer than the goals. I think he would benefit from feigning the pass and shooting short side more often. His opponents have him typecast as a passer only.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
He's my favorite Leaf, and of course is one of the best passers in the league. But he is still prone to passing the puck to where nobody is within 20' of it. Those kind of passes ensure that I have no fingernails left at the end of a game..

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
There's no doubt Marner is a premier point producer in the league. That said he is soft as butter and is a black hole (floater) in his own end. He does not deserve to be paid more than David Pastrnak at 6.75M/year.

I hope the kid doesn't demand $8M-$9M after Matthews gets his $12M/yr deal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There's no doubt Marner is a premier point producer in the league. That said he is soft as butter and is a black hole (floater) in his own end. He does not deserve to be paid more than David Pastrnak at 6.75M/year.

I hope the kid doesn't demand $8M-$9M after Matthews gets his $12M/yr deal.
Marner wears 16.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No, he's not.

Giroux / McDavid / Barzal / Voracek / Kucherov / Crosby, to name a few.

He's an elite level passer, but he's not the best. Not yet.

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
Gretzky was Gretzky.

But Marner ... on the power play ...

Look, last season, I don't know about you guys or gals, every time Marner was on the power play, I was talking to the TV, give it to Marner! Give it to Marner!

Gretzky did not overpower anyone with his speed or shot. But he anticipated better than anyone, and out deek you always.

That's Marner on the power play, last year and right now. Also when he plays with Kadri there is some of that.

This is what is really encouraging too, which is what happened last night.

Matthews on the other side of the ice, he was beginning to do his own Marner thing too.

Holy S***!

That's why Micky Redmond was saying, oh no not again!

Because we were all thinking the same thing, oh wow, they did it again!

:dunce:

I get your encouragement but it's always a bad idea to put Marner, or any player not named Lemieux, in the same sentence with the Great one.
Mitch is averaging .57 assists or roughly 47 assists a year. The other guy is around 1.32 a game or 108 a year. Not quite 3X the difference but you get the idea.

No, he's not.

Giroux / McDavid / Barzal / Voracek / Kucherov / Crosby, to name a few.

He's an elite level passer, but he's not the best. Not yet.

Agreed, he's getting there but an objective post.

Reactions: Tak7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad