Is Marner the best passer in the league

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Not even the best passer in his draft. An argument could be made that all McJesus, Barzal, Rantanen, and Eichel are better. You may not agree with all of them but can’t argue all are worse.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Some of us can see the game at an elite level... it's a gift ... :D

Joking aside, I have always been able to see the play unfold before it happens, unfortunately for me I couldn't skate, I was small as a kid and too dumb not to avoid contact. I didn't crack the 6ft, 200lbs level till well after my competitive playing days were over.

What Mitch does is similar to what an elite QB would do. Pass the puck (football) where the receiver will be in 3 seconds, not where he is now.

It's hard to explain if you don't already do it, some people can do the math in their heads extremely fast, this guy is going this fast, on this trajectory, he will be here in 3 seconds... Mitch is able to do the math not only for his own players but he is doing it simultaneously for his opponents too, once you start to see the game in this fashion you will not be able to see it the way you did before.

Buddy of mine is like me, when we watch the game we usually watch everyone but the puck carrier, which tells us typically how the play will unfold.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Some of us can see the game at an elite level... it's a gift ... :D

Joking aside, I have always been able to see the play unfold before it happens, unfortunately for me I couldn't skate, I was small as a kid and too dumb not to avoid contact. I didn't crack the 6ft, 200lbs level till well after my competitive playing days were over.

What Mitch does is similar to what an elite QB would do. Pass the puck (football) where the receiver will be in 3 seconds, not where he is now.

It's hard to explain if you don't already do it, some people can do the math in their heads extremely fast, this guy is going this fast, on this trajectory, he will be here in 3 seconds... Mitch is able to do the math not only for his own players but he is doing it simultaneously for his opponents too, once you start to see the game in this fashion you will not be able to see it the way you did before.

Buddy of mine is like me, when we watch the game we usually watch everyone but the puck carrier, which tells us typically how the play will unfold.
I knew you were gonna say this ! I had a girlfriend ,her name was Claire Voyant...she always knew when I was coming.over!

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's incredibly creative... but he seems to telegraph/force passes often (especially the cross crease ones on the PP)... and I don't see him sauce as good as some of the best passers. Please prove me wrong though.

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
That sure was sweet. I don't care whether he is or not the best passer as long as he continuous doing his magic, he gets my vote

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There's no doubt Marner is a premier point producer in the league. That said he is soft as butter and is a black hole (floater) in his own end. He does not deserve to be paid more than David Pastrnak at 6.75M/year.

I hope the kid doesn't demand $8M-$9M after Matthews gets his $12M/yr deal.
Floater?He strips people of the puck more than anyone

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Floater?He strips people of the puck more than anyone

For the amount of time he tries to do it, he should strip the puck off a lot of people. Last night he probably tried to do that lazy stick thing he does about 20 times.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Passing doesn't get much better. Nice backhand pass. Sometimes you don't need sauce.

Sign of the times, you tried that move through the crease on Scott Stevens and you'd be drinking your breakfast through a straw. He took advantage of a poor d-man, ridiculous play.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Not even the best passer in his draft. An argument could be made that all McJesus, Barzal, Rantanen, and Eichel are better. You may not agree with all of them but can’t argue all are worse.

Marner has the 3rd best A1/60 out of that group ES, and by a mile the best A1/60 on the PP. He has the 2nd best all-situations A1/60. They are all pretty f***in good.

Reactions: Big Cactus

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I remember 12 months ago when Marner couldn't do anything right. He's really developing into a star player. What really impressed me was that hit he took in the Blues game to keep the puck in the offensive zone. When the smallest guy on your team does that, it says something.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
For the amount of time he tries to do it, he should strip the puck off a lot of people. Last night he probably tried to do that lazy stick thing he does about 20 times.
So you did not watch the game last night then. Good to know. He had a fantastic game at stripping pucks as well as backcheching and stopping passes going cross ice in our zone with the lazy stick. At least use a game when he was not not fantastic with using his stick when you post nonsense.

By the way that D man he made look silly is Buff who is as mean as they come.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Such ignorance , Eddie O was on Sportsnet today and he said without prompting the thing that impressed him most about Marner was his back checking, how effective he is at stripping pucks. What does he know right? Too funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad