Is Marner the best passer in the league

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Marner is capable of scoring more. He is far too deferential to Tavares but I think that is what makes him an exceptional player. He fills holes. If you project what Marner will do this year and add the other 2 years, compare it to what Kucherov did in his first 3 full seasons. Then look at the trend line. Also take a look where Tampa finished on that first full year, and you will see that he started playing on a good team. Marner will unlikely get an 8 year deal due to the value that contract is worth but I have no doubt that when he signs the next contract after this one that he will be among the highest paid players in the NHL if not the highest. He will blow past 12.5MM before McDavid is finished his 8 years,.

Sure it's possible Marner can turn out better offensively but it's far, far from certain. Kucherov is a very special player in that he is an amazing playmaker with a pass first mentality but still puts up ~40G.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sure it's possible Marner can turn out better offensively but it's far, far from certain. Kucherov is a very special player in that he is an amazing playmaker with a pass first mentality but still puts up ~40G.
Yet he doesn't do the PK. Marner is a more complete player

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
First time I went into this thread. I am one of the dads you see a couple shots of in the video. Judy and Paul are both friends of mine. What you see in the video is an honest representation of what goes on in the highest levels of minor hockey in Toronto. People both moms and dads although Judy is the best get all to caught up in their kids. But when you consider how much money and time everyone is putting into making their kid the best it is somewhat understandable. I'd suggest you go the some games/rinks of the best teams even today and what you will see will shock you if you are aware of it. Over time you see the bigger picture but in real time you are one of the characters.

If you think Paul and Bonnie too will not fight for every last cent for Mitch from Leafs you are sadly mistaken. Same with Ema too. One of my kids is still trying to get to the show but maybe one day I will get a chance to fight for him too. It is life in the fast lane.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
People talk about Nylander as chopped liver around here and in media. In any promo pictures it’s usually Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Andersen
Many Leafs fans still hate those horrible skilled Europeans
All that skating and skill is to the Canadian fan emasculatin'
Yanks and Eurotrash treating Good Canadians as pee- ons.
dinosaurs here want to trade Euros for penalty box sitters, that's what I'm sayin'

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Where would Tavares be without stud Marner as his winger? He is on pace for 50 goals and has never cracked 40 before. This is also with him getting around a minute less per game of ice time than he had on the Islanders.

Let's be honest here that Marner is driving all of the possession on that line. He is the only guy that makes plays happen with the puck. His linemates just need to get him the puck more and they will have even greater success.

Tavares has made many of his wingers not named Marner alot of money over the years. Let's be honest...Tavares is much more proven than Marner...and Marner is not as good as Kucherov yet...Marner should not be getting $9 to $10 million as an RFA and certainly not on a 4 to 5 year deal like his agent has hinted.

Tavares doesn't need to play as much because the Leafs are a deep team...and he doesn't have the best lines and best defense pairing from the other team trying to shut him down all the time, so he's flourishing with less TOI.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner will be better than Kucherov. If you don't know where Marner would be without Tavares you spent way too much time listening to the critics last year instead of watching games.
As for your bet, are you saying that there isn't a team in the league that would pay him 9-10 MM?

He might become better, but he is currently not better than Kucherov...Kucherov almost willed Tampa into the playoffs a couple of years ago when Stamkos was injured...he is that dominant. Kucherov is stronger on his skates, has very good vision and a much better shot...scored 39 goals last year and 40 goals the year before. Marner could only dream about scoring that many goals. Yeah, the Toronto hype train compared Marner to Gretzky, but Wayne was also a goal-scoring machine...can't say the same for Marner. I like Marner, he's a great player, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And nope, there isn't a team in the league that will offer-sheet Marner for $9 to $10 million and also give up FOUR 1st round picks...that would be a stupid thing for any GM to do.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Stop with the Kucherov at 9.5M thing. He only signed this because his net take home would be same as making over 12M in Toronto. You can't use Kucherov as a reference point. He is not and everyone around league knows it. The tax situation is completely different here in Ontario.

Reactions: Notsince67

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
and it will get fixed i hear in next CBA. players will push for a luxury tax system. and it will help toronto.
What the players need is a veteran exception like the NBA has
The NHL player need to follow the NBA players, pronto
Or it will be fat cats and league minimum only, I'll take a pass
You guys read any of this? No? I thought so.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Stop with the Kucherov at 9.5M thing. He only signed this because his net take home would be same as making over 12M in Toronto. You can't use Kucherov as a reference point. He is not and everyone around league knows it. The tax situation is completely different here in Ontario.

He was still a RFA when he signed that, though he gave up several UFA years coming off of a bridge deal...it's actually not that much of a discount...if he was a UFA, he probably would have gotten Tavares money as a winger.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
All away games are taxed in the cities they play in.

Half of the games Tampa players play get taxed outisde of Florida and half the games leaf players play get taxed outside of Ontario.

Players also get paid in USD which is good when your living in Canadian as you can exchange it to Canadian dollars to help offset some of the tax differences for home games.

It really isnt that big of a deal. Tampa didnt have room to give Kucherov much more than that and he wanted to stay with a great younger team. That is why he got paid 9.5

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->