Is Carey Price Overrated? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It wouldn't be 6.5 million (Price would have to be replaced). It would be more like 2.5 million. Unless we go with 2 backups.

"Probably" not as good is a pretty good guess.

You probably skipped part of my post...

That type of post fails to take into account the $6.5M (minus what would be paid to another goalie) that would be available to obtain other pieces of the puzzle if Price was not there.

Montréal would most probably not be as good, but "meh"? Maybe not.

In an hypothetical world where Price wasn't born, Montréal would surely have drafted other goalies along the way, and a couple of them might be on entry-level/bridge contracts...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You probably skipped part of my post...

In an hypothetical world where Price wasn't born, Montréal would surely have drafted other goalies along the way, and a couple of them might be on entry-level/bridge contracts...

Ya I get it, its not really worth pointing out though.

Price @ 6.5 is a steal. We can't attract FA's anyways.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
This is a ridiculous debate, No, he isn't overrated. and he validates Gauthier's decision to keep him instead of Halak. However, Halak continues to serve the Habs by defeating their rivals in the Atlantic division.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is a ridiculous debate, No, he isn't overrated. and he validates Gauthier's decision to keep him instead of Halak. However, Halak continues to serve the Habs by defeating their rivals in the Atlantic division.
Nice way to look at things actually. Good point Teufelsdreck. :)

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
About 2 weeks ago, you had Crawford above Price, and now you have him below Price.

In the time between these changes, Crawford hasn't played a game due to injury.

What is your reasoning for these changes? Didn't think your original list through properly?:laugh:
I'm still waiting for you to rank the best NHL goalies since you seem to think no one else matters but Carey Price at the moment.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm still waiting for you to rank the best NHL goalies since you seem to think no one else matters but Carey Price at the moment.

Funny that all I'm talking about in a Carey Price thread is Carey Price.

There are 5 elite goalies in the league right now. They have proven themselves for multiple seasons to be among the best. Order can change depending on individual play and preference but these 5 are in a tier of their own.

As of right now, on who would give you the best chance to win.
1. Rinne/Price

3. Quick (lets be honest, he's only in these lists because of his track record in the playoffs. Regular season he is pretty much average)
4. Lundqvist
5. Rask

(sorry no Crawford)

Next Tier:

Bobrovski - just outside the top 5
Fleury -
Luongo -
Bishop
Varlamov - I expect him to be in the talks of top 5 soon enough
Bernier - same goes for this nitwit
Howard
Schneider
Crawford

Then you have the guys that aren't as consistent on a year to year basis as you'd like, and/or maybe can't handle a full seasons workload.

Halak
Anderson
Hiller
Elliott

Then there are the unproven guys and the washed up vets (Ward, Miller, Brodeur, Backstrom, etc.)

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Price just gets injured every playoff run, so does it really matter if he's elite or not?

Lets see if he can stay healthy when the games matter.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Well, I'll just finish with this:

It seems to me that a lot of you think Top 5 = Elite. Which I would disagree with. Simply because that would equal about 17% of all starting goalies being elite, and that's assuming there are 30 goalies that play enough games. Which really waters down the term.

To put that into perspective, out of all the forwards in the league (using 17%), that would mean there are ~60 elite forwards in the NHL right now. Which isn't even kind of close..

Price is a top 5 goalie right now but is not elite IMO.
If your argument rests on that 17%, please consider that there have been >60 goaltenders used by NHL teams so far this season. Therefore, Price should be considered as part of 8.5%, conservatively speaking. Surpassing 91.5% sounds a bit more elite, doesn't it? Now that would be quibbling. But why would anyone argue vehemently that Price isn't elite? Does it matter that much to anyone but someone who views his team with animosity? Do you strongly dislike the team the team he plays for? Even if you do, what has Price as an individual done to incur your dislike? Did he insult your grandfather?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If your argument rests on that 17%, please consider that there have been >60 goaltenders used by NHL teams so far this season. Therefore, Price should be considered as part of 8.5%, conservatively speaking. Surpassing 91.5% sounds a bit more elite, doesn't it? Now that would be quibbling. But why would anyone argue vehemently that Price isn't elite? Does it matter that much to anyone but someone who views his team with animosity? Do you strongly dislike the team the team he plays for? Even if you do, what has Price as an individual done to incur your dislike? Did he insult your grandfather?

The star means he's banned. I'm sure he'd love to reply if he could.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
Price just gets injured every playoff run, so does it really matter if he's elite or not?

He was pretty healthy for the Olympics and the first 2 rounds of the playoffs last season before a 6"3 230 pound Chris Kreider "accidentally" crashed into him skates first right into his knee at full speed.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Why dwell on ranking? If the team that wins the Stanley Cup has the 35th highest ranked goaltender, they'll still hug him and share the champagne with him. The top 34 in your imaginary ranking would have cleaned out their lockers by then and gone home. I don't rank goaltenders but I have a sneaking feeling that M-A Fleury, despite his Cup ring, is several notches down the list in virtually every expert's book. So what? He has the ring and so do his teammates.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax

That's not a fair assessment; His lingering groin injury when they lost to the Sens, and the freak injury with the Kreider incident can't really be used as evidence to say he's "injury prone".

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

Well he's sitting at around 79.3 % now and we are hoping he stays healthy during the playoffs and maybe by then he'll be sitting at around 89,55%- 90 .3%.:sarcasm:

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012

People are arguing that Price is elite.

Why is it wrong to argue that Price isn't?
This is in the general discussion and people have a right to voice their opinions.
Maybe just move the thread to the Poll section or to the Montreal board. I'm sure Carey is godlike there.
I didn't know it was Taboo to find fault with a player.
IMO Price must prove himself in the playoffs and further to be considered top 5.
I suggest you read the entire thread and not just snippets.

Last edited:

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Why dwell on ranking? If the team that wins the Stanley Cup has the 35th highest ranked goaltender, they'll still hug him and share the champagne with him. The top 34 in your imaginary ranking would have cleaned out their lockers by then and gone home. I don't rank goaltenders but I have a sneaking feeling that M-A Fleury, despite his Cup ring, is several notches down the list in virtually every expert's book. So what? He has the ring and so do his teammates.
You have no clue how or why I rank these players. I answered a question that I did not have to answer. Im not sure why this is such a sensitive topic. anyway. Apparently some Montreal fans seem to get offended when you don't agree with their opinion. I'm not sure why? I don't think Price is too far off from being elite.
I guess if I'm a fan of Montreal I would choose Price over Luongo or Rask. IMO he isn't a better player than Rask or Luongo.
Its extremely difficult to make a case Price is better than Quick, Lundqvist, and Rinne.
At no time in Prices career has he ever been considered or ranked the best player at his position. He hasn't even won the Vezina trophy.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Thank you, and Halak was obliging enough to lose to Price and the Habs on Tuesday. May he frustrate teams from Florida, Ontario, Detroit, and Massachusetts all season long.

The Islanders would have probably won last night if Halak was in net.

Anyone can defeat Chad Johnson.

And just like Qbs goalies don't play against eachother any way.
Its amazing how overrated Price truly is.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
People are arguing that Price is elite.

Why is it wrong to argue that Price isn't?

IMO Price must prove himself in the playoffs and further to be considered top 5.

As mentionned, Price has nothing to be ashamed of in the last 5 years in both regular season and save percentage with both hovering around .920. He got the Habs to the Eastern Conference last year and got hurt before he could try and get them to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Rinne hasn't to the Stanley Cup Finals last time I checked, and most people consider him top 5.

Anyways, as mentioned, I think Price will be a finalist or pretty damn close like last year (4th in voting) for the Vezina again this year.

It's your personal opinion that he's not top 5 which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Nope.

He's a top five goalie, and I forsee him having a HHOF career...

I'm a Leaf fan too, so I try to refrain from saying nice things about Hab players, but really, Price is a great goalie.

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Price career playing 40+ games:
-Good
-Bad
-Average
-Good
-Average
-Bad
-Good
-Good*

TOTAL: 4/8 seasons were good.. That's not elite, bro

Bernier career playing 40+ games:
-Good
-Good*

TOTAL: 2/2 seasons were good

SO, if we were to extrapolate THIS season (why would we do it for last season, it's done?), it'll have taken Price 8 YEARS in the NHL to string together 2 solid seasons back to back.. Bernier did it in his first 2 seasons.

So is Bernier elite at that point? Top 5?

BTW: I find it very funny that no one is answering what happens if Price has another bad season. As if you all know I'm right. Once you're elite, that's it, you're elite. Look at Brodeur, he's an elite goalie I'm sure everyone agrees and he's nowhere near the top 5 right now. Why is that? HE PROVED HIMSELF. Price hasn't proven ****.

Are you joking? This is such an irrational post. Price was 20 when he put up his first .92+ Season. Bernier and most other goalies were no where near the NHL

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Nope.

He's a top five goalie, and I forsee him having a HHOF career...

I'm a Leaf fan too, so I try to refrain from saying nice things about Hab players, but really, Price is a great goalie.

Because its coming from a Non-Habs fan without an agenda who shall be objective I will pay closer attention to Price this year.
I respect an outsiders opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad