Is Carey Price Overrated? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We really need for everyone to regain their composure in this thread. Posts of a personal or mocking nature will be met with infractions and thread bans. Enough is enough.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
Overrated by who? Habs fans know him as the guy who's been saving their team's collective ass on a weekly basis so they're the ones who know best in theory. From an outsider's perspective he may seem too hyped up but context is important.

He's fairly rated, overrated by a few and underrated by many.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
You mean 2008-2009 when he was a 21 year old rookie?

oh okay, lets compare playoffs stats from the other top 4 at 21 years old:
Quick: non existent, first playoff series was at 24 in 2009-10, where he was 2-4 with a .884/3.50
Rinne: non existent, his first playoff series was at 27 in 2009-10, where he was 2-4 with a .911/2.68
Lundqvist: non existent, his first playoff series was at 23 in 2005-06, where he was 0-3 with a .835/4.41
Rask: non existent (by one year), his first playoff experience was at 22 going 7-6 in 2009-10 with a .912/2.61 (this was that year where they also blew a 3-0 lead in the semis to lose 4-3)

Seems pretty comparable for first time playoff experience. Actually thats kind of a lie, since Price's first playoff experience was at the age of 20, which doesnt matter because none of those goalies saw playoff experience at 20 or 21!!. The other names thrown around were Lu and Crawford:
Luongo: non existent, first playoff experience at 27, goin 5-7 with a .941/1.77 (yes, amazing stats, but he's also a 7 yr vet at this point)
Crawford: non existent, first playoff experience at 24, coming in as a backup for one game. Regular action at 26 going 3-4 with a .927/2.21

So to compare, Price at 21 was playing in the playoffs years before any of those "top 5". You cant factor in his rookie years as stats when those other goalies werent even doing what he was doing at his age.

I never compared him to them.

So hold on a minute he did have his first experience a year before and he did beat the bruins why would age matter on the year he got destroyed? Roy won the cup in his first year. If you want to call Price the best goalie in the league than you could also make a case to compare him with the greatests in the early stages of their career but i doubt it would fit Price Fans Agendas.

And the reason why i even mention Roy is because the guy at Rds called Price a legend just as Roy... Not my words, his.

And another thing why i dont think Price is a top 5 is because he was drafted 5th overall, hes injury prone and has no legit third and fourth round appearance to date.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
And another thing why i dont think Price is a top 5 is because he was drafted 5th overall, hes injury prone and has no legit third and fourth round appearance to date.

Solid arguments there.

Keep digging and madmaking some of the worst arguments I have ever seen in this thread. During that time, I'll keep watching the guy winning games for us.

You know what is worse than people who feel the need to be proud of one of their sucessful player and state that he is part of the elite if the game? The ones who most likely watched only a few, if any games that guy played and feel the need to try to downgrade him.

He is our best player. I don't think he is overrated. I wouldn't trade for an other goalie in the league, but I can understand that fans from 2-3 other teams could say the same about their goalie.

Saying he isn't in the top 5 range is underrating him. Saying he is without a doubt number one is overrating him. Most fans who see him play every games are not overrating him. A good bunch who doesn't are clearly underrating him tho:

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Solid arguments there.

Keep digging and madmaking some of the worst arguments I have ever seen in this thread. During that time, I'll keep watching the guy winning games for us.

You know what is worse than people who feel the need to be proud of one of their sucessful player and state that he is part of the elite if the game? The ones who most likely watched only a few, if any games that guy played and feel the need to try to downgrade him.

He is our best player. I don't think he is overrated. I wouldn't trade for an other goalie in the league, but I can understand that fans from 2-3 other teams could say the same about their goalie.

Saying he isn't in the top 5 range is underrating him. Saying he is without a doubt number one is overrating him. Most fans who see him play every games are not overrating him. A good bunch who doesn't are clearly underrating him tho:
The same exact argument, "Most fans who see him play every game" can be used for Quick, Lundqvist, and Rinne also.
Imo saying he's top three is overating Price. Saying he's elite is a matter of opinion and the word elite need be defined. I associate the word elite with Hasek, Brodeur, and Roy.
To me both Lundqvist and Quick are borderline elite. Rinne is currently playing at an elite level. Price is certainly at the top of his game this season.
The top 5 goalies aren't that far apart in ability and talent. For me what sets goalies apart is how they play when the game is on the line and other pressure situations.
Maybe this year Price helps Montreal advance in the playoffs but last year people were calling for his head.
His playoff history to this date is underwhelming and to me those are the times I expect a top five goalie to shine the most.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
I'd like to see you explain why Rinne and Quick are better than Price without changing your logic between the two. i

As soon as you explain to us why you think Price is some God.

I doubt your answer will be unbiased since he plays for your team.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
As soon as you explain to us why you think Price is some God.

I doubt your answer will be unbiased since he plays for your team.

You know it`s only one loss...........you shouldn`t let it eat at you and ruin Christmas..........Price is just better than Halak and is elite...............better things to do on Christmas than obsessed over Price..........

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
The same exact argument, "Most fans who see him play every game" can be used for Quick, Lundqvist, and Rinne also.
Imo saying he's top three is overating Price. Saying he's elite is a matter of opinion and the word elite need be defined. I associate the word elite with Hasek, Brodeur, and Roy.
To me both Lundqvist and Quick are borderline elite. Rinne is currently playing at an elite level. Price is certainly at the top of his game this season.
The top 5 goalies aren't that far apart in ability and talent. For me what sets goalies apart is how they play when the game is on the line and other pressure situations.
Maybe this year Price helps Montreal advance in the playoffs but last year people were calling for his head.
His playoff history to this date is underwhelming and to me those are the times I expect a top five goalie to shine the most.

fans were calling for his head last playoff? He was great last year.

feds91

May 17, 2004
Who doesn't believe that if the Olympics were held today Carey Price would not (easily) be Canada's starting goaltender again?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's alright, not good enough to be elite but good enough to be the only reason a team has been top 10 in the NHL 3 years in a row. :sarcasm:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Just stop already. :laugh:

No one was calling for his head, what are you even rambling about. He was arguably our MVP before getting hurt. People were calling for Kreider's head if anything.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Maybe this year Price helps Montreal advance in the playoffs BUT LAST YEAR PEOPLE WERE CALLING FOR HIS HEAD.

That statement is so wrong that it makes me believe that you didn't even watched one Hab's playoff game last season.If it wasn't for Price getting hurt we had a chance to go to the cup finals. You say maybe this yr Price can help us advance in the playoffs . :laugh:Price brought us to the conference final's last season against the Rangers where he got hurt.

Nynja*

Oh Okay
I went through the locked part 1, and at no point did you list a top 5 in the league. However, almost everyone here has listed their top 5, in alphabetical order, as Lundqvist Price Quick Rask Rinne. By your own logic that I just bolded in your quote, the elite 5 needs "a legit third and fourth round appearance". How come you havent called out everyone whos added Rinne to the top 5 in the league for that reason? He's never even been in the third round.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Oh Okay
I went through the locked part 1, and at no point did you list a top 5 in the league. However, almost everyone here has listed their top 5, in alphabetical order, as Lundqvist Price Quick Rask Rinne. By your own logic that I just bolded in your quote, the elite 5 needs "a legit third and fourth round appearance". How come you havent called out everyone whos added Rinne to the top 5 in the league for that reason? He's never even been in the third round.

I never considered Rinne to be amongs the elite until this season, hes dominating the league the way brodeur did and thats what true elites do.

With in 8 years Price has never been a top 3 finalist for any personal trophys or never brought his team to a stanley cup final and not even played a third round. I mean whats elite about Price? Him stealing games? News flash hes not the only one. I mean we had Huet that stole us how many games? I mean Huet.......Halak did the same, Budaj 2 years ago...theodore... Price is really nothing special, the only thing special about him is that he got drafted 5th overall and everbody expected him to be the next Roy.

then everyone realised thats not gonna happen so we decided to blame it on the team, then came Halak and brought us to the ecf with the same exact team, then we traded the competition in Halak and we started to suck again, fired the coach, brought in a new goalie coach for the third time, a new head coach for the fourth time and a new GM.

Yet some of you still act like this guy is the messy.

Pirre Houde called Price a legend this year, a legend and the worst part is alot of you believed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad