Is anyone else sick of Joe Bowen?

Kyle Doobas*

I've been sick of him for half a decade now. We get it, Joe, Greg Millen was a bad goalie....ha-ha-ha. Oh, what's that? You want to spend the next three minutes rambling on about some inconsequential minor league story that nobody cares about? Awesome. I'm not really that interested in what's actually going on in the game you're supposed to be calling anyway.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Not sick of Joe, because as so many have mentioned, if you compare him to the majority of broadcasters, he is gold.
He is so much better on radio.

Yes, I am very sick of Holy Mackinaw.
Yes, I am very sick of "Ric - o - chet" and especially when a Leaf almost coughs up the puck and he does his best Curly Howard impression, "NyaaAAAaaaAAA"
Yes, Hendricks is not necessary at all in his role as 'on-ice reporter' ("penalty to the Leafs Joe!")

And yes, if the Leafs were winning, it would be much more tolerable.

Go Leafs Go, now and forever, amen.

This, and "the bouncing disc", "dipsie-doodles", and many botched names ON THE LEAFS???

Bring in Dave from Vancouver!!!

euro dangle*

No, but I hate Greg Millen. I also find Hughson's and Simpson's voices irritating beyond belief.

teeks643

Feb 2, 2010
I'm sick of all sports commentators (except for, of course, the voice of the Winkler Flyers: Matt Friesen). For years I've been lobbying for a feature to watch sports on tv as though you were at the game. No annoying commentators, just the beautiful sounds of the game and the crowd noise.

I'll easily admit that they have a very tough job. They have to talk for pretty much 3 straight hours so no matter how many intelligent things that they say, all it takes is the handful of stupid things to make you groan and wish you didn't have to listen to them... but I really, really wish that I could just watch the sports without having to listen to absolutely useless comments from Healy, Millen, and the like.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
A lot of people really underrate the contributions of Harry Neale in my opinion. People say Cole is no longer that good, and blame it on him being old and missing what goes on. That's part of it, but not having Harry there doesn't help. Same with Cole, people find him more annoying now that Harry isn't around to "get" his bad jokes.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
*** Carolina had to ruin a Toronto-Detroit final.

Sadly we would have been smoked by that Detroit team. That was a team stacked like you will never see again.

I was at every game that playoff run except for game 1 of the Islanders series. So many highlights, G-Rob ending Kenny Jonsson in Game 5, coming back to beat those losers after going down early in Game 7. Watching that piece of excrement Alfredsson drill Darcy only to curse his team and that Almo and Cujo magic in game 7. I will never forget the feeling when McCabe put the game on ice late in the third. And then that Mats goal as only Mats could with 22s to go in game 6. Only to have Marty Gelinas break our hearts from the same spot in OT. Why did Tommy have to turn that puck over to that piece of swine Jeff O'neill?!?!?!

Also, Almo's first goal of the night in game 7 ottawa, if I recall correctly he scored in typical Mogilny fashion, finding away to hide from the opposition and sneaking away and getting open. What a beauty he was.

I miss those days

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't mind Bowen. Compared to other commentators around the league which I unfortunately have to listen to sometimes because of center ice, he's much better.

I still remember his call of the Sundin goal in game 6 of 2002 ECF on the radio. It still sends chills down my spine when I hear it. God, I miss those days.

Millen is a tool though. The guy has absolutely no objectivity when calling the game. Always kissing the Leafs ass no matter how much they suck.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I've been sick of him for half a decade now. We get it, Joe, Greg Millen was a bad goalie....ha-ha-ha. Oh, what's that? You want to spend the next three minutes rambling on about some inconsequential minor league story that nobody cares about? Awesome. I'm not really that interested in what's actually going on in the game you're supposed to be calling anyway.

Well said.

Yes, spare us your ramblings that have nothing to do with the game.His one liners are awful, and to make matters worse, he lets out that obnoxious laugh after each and every one of his own jokes. It would be passable if he was actually funny, but he's just annoying. Amen for the mute button.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I've never had an issue with Joe Bowen whatsoever.

Edit: Now I feel embarrassed for replying to a thread that was dead for almost three years.

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
I love Joe Bowen & Harry Neale, don't mind Millen. I love Bob Cole as well.

I hate Hughson and Simpson.

I guess I'm old school.

MapleLeafistan*

Bowen is ok...Cole is a legend...Hughson has started to get better...or maybe I'm just getting use to his voice.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Now that Neale's back, get ready for the 3 minute stretches of hyena on nitrous laughter from Bowen every night...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sadly we would have been smoked by that Detroit team. That was a team stacked like you will never see again.

I was at every game that playoff run except for game 1 of the Islanders series. So many highlights, G-Rob ending Kenny Jonsson in Game 5, coming back to beat those losers after going down early in Game 7. Watching that piece of excrement Alfredsson drill Darcy only to curse his team and that Almo and Cujo magic in game 7. I will never forget the feeling when McCabe put the game on ice late in the third. And then that Mats goal as only Mats could with 22s to go in game 6. Only to have Marty Gelinas break our hearts from the same spot in OT. Why did Tommy have to turn that puck over to that piece of swine Jeff O'neill?!?!?!

Also, Almo's first goal of the night in game 7 ottawa, if I recall correctly he scored in typical Mogilny fashion, finding away to hide from the opposition and sneaking away and getting open. What a beauty he was.

I miss those days

you know...
I remember reading some of the Wings players saying they wished it had been Toronto... and the way they were playing (the Leafs). it would have been a series to remember. even if we got "smoked." It would have been a hard battle to be sure.

(sigh) and we'll never have it now. (I guess we'll have to make do with eastern finals, but not the same).

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Im tired of him thinking he is a first rate comedian...

Half the game is just him going "HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!" during the middle of the play. Just do you your job and commentate, you're jokes arent even that funny anyway...

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
...and the rest of the Leafs broadcast crew? I used to love Joe Bowen and I always used to think that the Leafs had one of the best crews in the game. However, this year it has finally hit me how awful it is. Bowen is flat out wrong far too often, Millen has no clue what he is talking about, and Hendrick adds no valuable input. While I think Gord Miller blows, I'd much rather him and McGuire than the current crew.

Bowen cannot pronounce names, mixes up players, and frankly does not call the game correctly anymore. It has gotten to the point where he is flat out annoying. I almost prefer Jim Hughson and his agenda to Joe Bowen. I would kill for Chris Cuthbert to become the Leafs play by play guy. He is the best around.

Seriously though, pay attention to Bowen. He calls Clarke MacArthur "Mugggarthur." That is flat out insulting. Get the guys name right, it is not hard. Last week against Dallas he called Mike Ribeiro "Robidas" all night. And for the longest time he has been unable to pronounce Karlis Skrastins name. His name is pronounced "Skrastinch" and Bowen always calls him "Skranstins." Used to occur four times a season, but with Skrastins in the west, it is over for this year. He also calls Beauchemin "Beauchemay."

Seriously. The guy is awful. Call up Dennis Beyak!

And don't get me started on Greg Millen. He is the dumbest, most useless analyst of all time. While Harry Neale might have told us the Leafs winning % in road games against teams south of the Mason-Dixon line who wear black uniforms on Tuesdays, at least he was accurate.

And Hendrick is just straight up useless. I feel bad disliking him because he is such a positive and happy guy, but put a guy who knows the game between the benches.

nope!!!!

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Im tired of him thinking he is a first rate comedian...

Half the game is just him going "HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!" during the middle of the play. Just do you your job and commentate, you're jokes arent even that funny anyway...
someone's mad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad