Is anyone else sick of Joe Bowen?

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
...and the rest of the Leafs broadcast crew? I used to love Joe Bowen and I always used to think that the Leafs had one of the best crews in the game. However, this year it has finally hit me how awful it is. Bowen is flat out wrong far too often, Millen has no clue what he is talking about, and Hendrick adds no valuable input. While I think Gord Miller blows, I'd much rather him and McGuire than the current crew.

Bowen cannot pronounce names, mixes up players, and frankly does not call the game correctly anymore. It has gotten to the point where he is flat out annoying. I almost prefer Jim Hughson and his agenda to Joe Bowen. I would kill for Chris Cuthbert to become the Leafs play by play guy. He is the best around.

Seriously though, pay attention to Bowen. He calls Clarke MacArthur "Mugggarthur." That is flat out insulting. Get the guys name right, it is not hard. Last week against Dallas he called Mike Ribeiro "Robidas" all night. And for the longest time he has been unable to pronounce Karlis Skrastins name. His name is pronounced "Skrastinch" and Bowen always calls him "Skranstins." Used to occur four times a season, but with Skrastins in the west, it is over for this year. He also calls Beauchemin "Beauchemay."

Seriously. The guy is awful. Call up Dennis Beyak!

And don't get me started on Greg Millen. He is the dumbest, most useless analyst of all time. While Harry Neale might have told us the Leafs winning % in road games against teams south of the Mason-Dixon line who wear black uniforms on Tuesdays, at least he was accurate.

And Hendrick is just straight up useless. I feel bad disliking him because he is such a positive and happy guy, but put a guy who knows the game between the benches.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Leafs need to look for a new guy for their television PBP, and it's not Bartlett or Beyak. Bowen was great once, still has a great voice but he's getting into Cole-level senility now. Greg Millen is just horrible.

MattVenca*

Sick of Bowen? No.

I'm sick of losing. That's all.

I dont care if he says 'What a goal by Nikolai Koolaid, and great assists from Nazem Kadillac and Tyler Prozack! Holy Mackinaw!' -- All I care is that they scored a ****ing goal.

I don't care who's calling the game. I care that this team looks worse than last year's.

I'm done with this thread.

Idioteque

Apr 30, 2010
Leafs need to look for a new guy for their television PBP, and it's not Bartlett or Beyak. Bowen was great once, still has a great voice but he's getting into Cole-level senility now. Greg Millen is just horrible.

"...and gets the puck from bad ice, to good ice."
-Glenn Healy

Could be worse :)

Can't help but love Joe, he isn't the best but the guy is just so darn jolly it's difficult to be annoyed with him even when we should be.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Been thinking the same more and more. Bowen seems to have lost a bit of his passion, could be due to the team struggling for the past 5 years. Millen is a very poor replacement for Harry Neale and Paul Hendricks is a joke. He's got nothing to offer.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Quite frankly, I have never liked Joe Bowen.

"grrrrraaaabossskiii" and "sans loooey" drive me crazy.

He is wrong consistently, he mis pronounces names, and he has an annoying- nassaly type of sound. To be fair though, "no doubt about it" Millen is worse. It's a 'one is worse than the other' sort of deal. I can't stand them.

I agree about Cuthbert. The guy is the best in the business. Knows his stuff, not reptitive, pronounces the names correctly and his tone always fits the ebs and flows of the game.

Idioteque

Apr 30, 2010
...and the rest of the Leafs broadcast crew? I used to love Joe Bowen and I always used to think that the Leafs had one of the best crews in the game. However, this year it has finally hit me how awful it is. Bowen is flat out wrong far too often, Millen has no clue what he is talking about, and Hendrick adds no valuable input. While I think Gord Miller blows, I'd much rather him and McGuire than the current crew.

Bowen cannot pronounce names, mixes up players, and frankly does not call the game correctly anymore. It has gotten to the point where he is flat out annoying. I almost prefer Jim Hughson and his agenda to Joe Bowen. I would kill for Chris Cuthbert to become the Leafs play by play guy. He is the best around.

Seriously though, pay attention to Bowen. He calls Clarke MacArthur "Mugggarthur." That is flat out insulting. Get the guys name right, it is not hard. Last week against Dallas he called Mike Ribeiro "Robidas" all night. And for the longest time he has been unable to pronounce Karlis Skrastins name. His name is pronounced "Skrastinch" and Bowen always calls him "Skranstins." Used to occur four times a season, but with Skrastins in the west, it is over for this year. He also calls Beauchemin "Beauchemay."

And don't get me started on Greg Millen. He is the dumbest, most useless analyst of all time. While Harry Neale might have told us the Leafs winning % in road games against teams south of the Mason-Dixon line who wear black uniforms on Tuesdays, at least he was accurate.

And Hendrick is just straight up useless. I feel bad disliking him because he is such a positive and happy guy, but put a guy who knows the game between the benches.

What kills me the most is how the vast majority of play by play or colour commentators refer to #50 as "Gufstasson." It makes me cringe almost as much as seeing Mitchell play.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Need not worry. His son is being groomed to be a play-by-play guy as well. Maybe it'll be senior and junior Bowen calling the games together soon!

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I personally like Bowen.

However, he was better with Neale because Neale actually knows whats going on, Millen is a moron that played the game as a backup most of his career, or at least shouldve been.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Bowen is AWESOME.
You need to listen to a few out of town announcers me thinks to truly appreciate him.
And an earlier poster hit it out of the park. If the Leafs were doing well you would enjoy listening to him more.
Not to get to deep here but you might be associated him with the bad mood you get in (Like me) from watching and chearing for one of the worst teams in the league.

Buddy went to Buffalo a couple of weeks ago to watch Vancouver vs. Buffalo
He also goes to Leaf games but he said the entertainment value was through the roof watching good hockey. We are so far away from good hockey it is scary!

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I'm kinda tired of Bowen now, but he's still better than Pierre "I get one thing stuck in my head and continue to talk about it for the rest of the game, regardless of relevance or importance" McGuire

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I think what we need is a winning team. People are looking for things to hate lately. It's getting a little irritateing. Find something to follow until the bandwagon gets some better wheels.

BTW, for those of you who didn't follow when we were winners (good on you for even being a fan right now!) Bowen's radio calls during the playoffs were the most passionate I've ever heard a PBP. You KNOW he is fan when he cries live on the radio. His call when Mats scored the tier in game 6 against CAR was beautiful. I miss that so god damn much right now. I'm pretty sure it was the "BLESS YOU BOYS" thing. If anyone has a clip of that, I've been looking for it for years on youtube to no avail.

bberard34

Feb 9, 2008
Joe Bowen bought me drink after drink in Owen Nolan's bar in San Jose back in 2003. He's alright in my books :yo:

bberard34

Feb 9, 2008
I personally like Bowen.

However, he was better with Neale because Neale actually knows whats going on, Millen is a moron that played the game as a backup most of his career, or at least shouldve been.

Neale is horrible. He uses the same cliches over and over again. I was reminded of this when I got the XM Buffalo feed last Friday.

"Gustavsson heard that shot but he certainly didn't see it"

"That penalty has a bit of an odor to it"

"You know what they say, it's always easier to kill off a good penalty, than a bad one"

I do not miss Harry Neale at all. The guy is a robot.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

He has always been this bad, it just took you until now to notice.

the part that has always drove me crazy is when player A makes a horrible pass to Player B, and then player B loses the puck or 'gives it away' as a result of the horrible pass, he always blames player B rather than player A for putting him in a losing position.

player A in the wide open passes to player B who is surrounded by 3 players, and loses the puck ...next line is usually, player B needs to work on his giveaways ...or player b shouldnt try to get through 3 players by himself

Jim Hughson is alot better

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
And an earlier poster hit it out of the park. If the Leafs were doing well you would enjoy listening to him more.Not to get to deep here but you might be associated him with the bad mood you get in (Like me) from watching and chearing for one of the worst teams in the league.

That's a fair point but I am not sure it's entirely true.

People complained about Bob Cole left right and center and the Leafs were competitive and a playoff team then!

Winning/losing doesn't preclude you from being able to judge an announcer fairly. If you think he stinks, he stinks... and Joe Bowen stinks. Winning may just help you tolerate it a little more.

canada83

Aug 24, 2007
New Brunswick
Bowen is awful.

I sometimes get a stream of the game that continues to play the announcer audio during commercial and intermission time. The guy has no clue calling games and blabs on insulting his fellow announcers during breaks. He often complains as the producers instruct him on how to present topics/ads following commercials. To be honest I'm surprised he hasn't been fired.

Also did anyone else hear him mention kabs as a possible center. I bet he read that on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad