Is anyone else sick of Joe Bowen?

kyleblogskyle

Feb 23, 2010
Barrie, ONT
No.

The next time the NHL is on NBC on a Sunday afternoon have a listen. That is bad commentating. They don't follow the play... they tell stories about their life , rather than whats happening in the game....

Bowen is one of the best in the game. He makes every play exciting. He may mess up the odd name, but it is only because he is so excited! I would love to see him on CBC...

However

Millen is the worst... absolute worst.... it's not even funny. I hated last game when he started talking about MacArthur's foot being in the blue paint for that no-goal... before someone of air corrected him about the actual rule...:shakehead

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
Leafs need to look for a new guy for their television PBP, and it's not Bartlett or Beyak. Bowen was great once, still has a great voice but he's getting into Cole-level senility now. Greg Millen is just horrible.

If Bartlett is the guy who does the Marlies, oh god no, I'll stick with Bowen. Bartlett has a horrific voice, sounds like he is gasping for air. He is near a Jamie Campbell level of horrific.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
If you get rid of Bowen, you should do the sensible thing and get rid of Paul Hendrik and Greg Millen first. Hendrik in particular makes me want to reach through the TV screen and remove his vocal chords.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
No.

The next time the NHL is on NBC on a Sunday afternoon have a listen. That is bad commentating. They don't follow the play... they tell stories about their life , rather than whats happening in the game....

Bowen is one of the best in the game. He makes every play exciting. He may mess up the odd name, but it is only because he is so excited! I would love to see him on CBC...

However

Millen is the worst... absolute worst.... it's not even funny. I hated last game when he started talking about MacArthur's foot being in the blue paint for that no-goal... before someone of air corrected him about the actual rule...:shakehead

I think Doc Emrick (NBC) is fabulous. Calls a clear and illustrative game.

Yes, last night when he went on and on about the blue paint, I texted my brother and asked him if Greg Millen was coming to us from 1999? Seriously, that was so pathetic. Honestly, Millen comes across as such a dolt loser. It is hard to believe that this guy ever fit into an NHL dressing room. In terms of personality, and coming across as the biggest hurtbag alive, he must have been the John Mitchell of his era.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Not sick of Joe, because as so many have mentioned, if you compare him to the majority of broadcasters, he is gold.
He is so much better on radio.

Yes, I am very sick of Holy Mackinaw.
Yes, I am very sick of "Ric - o - chet" and especially when a Leaf almost coughs up the puck and he does his best Curly Howard impression, "NyaaAAAaaaAAA"
Yes, Hendricks is not necessary at all in his role as 'on-ice reporter' ("penalty to the Leafs Joe!")

And yes, if the Leafs were winning, it would be much more tolerable.

Go Leafs Go, now and forever, amen.

PasDaSquini

Apr 4, 2010
Meh, I could care less how he says the persons last name; I cannot pronounce every last name out there. The only thing I hate about Bowen is his crazy idea of putting Kaberle at centre, I swear to god he posts on hf.

TexanGuy

Nov 24, 2009
Victoria, BC
I am ok with Bowen, perhaps he also very frustrated with all this losing since the lockout and taking it out on players. We are all very unhappy and frustrated cuz of all this losing.

JMcLeaf

The only time Bowen annoyed me was last season when he'd say how many times we allowed the first goal of the game.. every.single.game

Jatt

Sep 28, 2005
Oh great, now that Bob Cole was forcefully exiled for being to 'senile' to call the game (even though now whenever he calls a game on HNIC everyone mentions what a treat it is to have him call it), the eagle-eyed mistake nazis have turned to Bowen. Gotta love Leafs Nation 'The Nitpicking Losers That Unite Us All'.

CBA

Oct 18, 2009
Toronto
I generally like Joe Bowen, but HATE his lengthy asides with Millen on personal jokes. Maybe he has just lost interest, but I find that during the game in situations where the Leafs are in the attacking zone, Bowen is commenting on how bad Millen must have been in elementary school and making quips about how old they are and senior's homes. And then Hendricks comes in with a terrible one liner that receives an awkward pause, and Bowen laughs and tries to trump it with a joke about something Hendrick did while they were at a restaurant while on the road... Oh and the Leafs just got scored against...

Cleets

Dec 16, 2008
Frisco, TX
I heard another announcer (I think it was Buffalo's) call Beauchemin "Beauchemay" and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Could this be the real way of saying it?

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
I heard another announcer (I think it was Buffalo's) call Beauchemin "Beauchemay" and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Andy Frost calls him Beauchemin when introducing him in the starting lineup and when he gets points. You would think that he would have the correct pronunciation down. Or we could do what American baseball announcers do and change a name like Francisco Martinez to Frank Martin EZZ. So he would become Frank Beach. Or Frank Beach Man.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from any Bruins or Penguins broadcast. The two worst in the league. Pens used to have Mike Lange and he was the best, but their new crew are the biggest homers south of Boston. Nobody beats the homers that call Bruins games. I had the Bruins feed for the Leafs game there a few weeks ago. They were so anti-Leafs and accusing Leafs players of being cheap, like Komisarek, that the league should fine them for defamation.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Well, it is a French name so usually in French you do not pronounce the last letter of most words and names. I don't speak French myself, but that is what I learned from taking a couple of French classes in high school and university.

Cleets

Dec 16, 2008
Frisco, TX
Andy Frost calls him Beauchemin when introducing him in the starting lineup and when he gets points. You would think that he would have the correct pronunciation down. Or we could do what American baseball announcers do and change a name like Francisco Martinez to Frank Martin EZZ. So he would become Frank Beach. Or Frank Beach Man.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from any Bruins or Penguins broadcast. The two worst in the league. Pens used to have Mike Lange and he was the best, but their new crew are the biggest homers south of Boston. Nobody beats the homers that call Bruins games. I had the Bruins feed for the Leafs game there a few weeks ago. They were so anti-Leafs and accusing Leafs players of being cheap, like Komisarek, that the league should fine them for defamation.

I'm stuck with whatever NHL Center Ice gives me.
You are bang on about the Bruins. For those games, I usually synch up the tv with the Toronto radio broadcast.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
I'm stuck with whatever NHL Center Ice gives me.
You are bang on about the Bruins. For those games, I usually synch up the tv with the Toronto radio broadcast.

Same. Both of us are south of the border. Yes, for the Bruins games I would love to have Bowen, but I will pick HD over NHL Center Ice's sad excuse for standard def. Seriously, their HD is fine, but standard definition on US NHL Center Ice is pathetic, it is like watching the Zapruder Film. Actually, it is worse. I have emailed them about this and they never reply. Don't get me started on NHL Center Ice. They offer one HD game per night, sometimes two. Recently they aired Nashville and Columbus in HD over Toronto and New York. Considering they pick what they will air before the season, this is straight pathetic. Two weeks ago I watched the Devils feed of the Leafs game because the Leafs TV feed offered was letterboxed on the top and bottom and the sides. Was like watching the game through a telescope. I guess the only positive is the fact that they usually give you both feeds, so you can pick whichever feed is "less horrible."

I was just home in Toronto over thanksgiving. Rogers standard def for Center Ice is fabulous. And they now offer nearly every game in HD.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Also did anyone else hear him mention kabs as a possible center. I bet he read that on here.

Because he couldn't possibly be remembering the success that the Leafs had in converting Norris trophy winning Red Kelly into a centre. :shakehead

The egocentricity of people on these boards is absolutely ridiculous.

TML g u n n e R s*

he is getting iffy, but i dont think i can adjust to a new boradcaster

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
Serious cry babies in this thread. Waaaaaahhhhh even Joe Bowen sucks! Seriously?

agreed. no problems with Bowen here. don't like Millen very much though. Paul Hendrick has no clue about hockey, but he's entertaining and funny at times. just a goofy guy in general.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Oh great, now that Bob Cole was forcefully exiled for being to 'senile' to call the game (even though now whenever he calls a game on HNIC everyone mentions what a treat it is to have him call it), the eagle-eyed mistake nazis have turned to Bowen. Gotta love Leafs Nation 'The Nitpicking Losers That Unite Us All'.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad