Dreger: Interest in David Krejci? Bruins would also like to move Backes

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What would the Bruins want back for Backes?

Cap space. Someone with one year left on his deal is fine coming back, but Bruins would be moving Backes to clear cap space.

As I said above, Backes contract this coming year is $3million bonus + $3million in salary. Then 4million per the last two season.

If the Bruins pay the bonus this year, for a team that cares more about real dollars than cap hit, Backes at 3 years for 11 million in real money is pretty damn good. Backes at 3 years and 18 million in cap dollars is less good.

So Bruins need to find a non-cap team that needs toughness and/or vet presence so they can clear cap space.

Reactions: Alchemy

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'd trade Backes to St.L for a pick if it were up to me.
I dont think he's useless by any means but I think we can find a vet to replace his leadership, grit, and points for way cheaper while allowing us to upgrade our D which we really need to do.
The Blues had the option of signing him to that contract before he left and they passed.

Seems pretty unlikely they're going to trade a pick to take on that contract now, especially since what should have been the two best years of the deal are already done.

Reactions: bukwas

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Brouwer for Backes+ Koko...?

Brouwer was already turned down. Backes is a good player overpaid by a couple million. Brouwer is not a good player that could be replaced by a guy making the minimum. The 1.5 million in savings the Bruins would get wouldn't be enough for them to find someone better than Backes.

And you asked for a plus!

Reactions: Skelen

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
The only trade I can see being done is something along the lines of Krejci for Elias Lindholm.

Carolina gets the better player but with more miles and more money.

Bruins get the younger player and trim some cap for either Nash or Kovalchuk.

Reactions: veganbruin

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Brouwer was already turned down. Backes is a good player overpaid by a couple million. Brouwer is not a good player that could be replaced by a guy making the minimum. The 1.5 million in savings the Bruins would get wouldn't be enough for them to find someone better than Backes.

And you asked for a plus!
I saw that after! Shucks. I figured koko wouldn't be a large add given he's still over in the KHL and I used to like him when the rumors of he being included in an iggy package were floating about.

I will admit that I did not look at Backes production- it wasn't as bad as I thought. The extra year at 6 mil (when he will be 37...) might get pretty dicey though. I don't think I would support offering any more than Brouwer for him. If we didn't have Brouwer on the books then I would offer a B prospect (shinkaruk? klimchuk?) just to eat his salary but alas.

Reactions: wintersej

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Unless we have a good 2nd line center coming back it’s not worth moving Krejci. Should have traded him when we had, Seguin, Soderberg, Spooner etc. too late now. Unless Tavares has told Sweeney he will sign here, no real reason to move him. I would move him for a younger/cheaper/slightly less productive center or a top 4 LHD. Otherwise, Krejci needs to help groom his replacement.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Backes and Krecji can both still play.
I wouldn't be surprised to see PIT go after Krecji and LA going after Backes.

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
With both having NMC can't see anything happening from the Bruins brace. So one more cup run with them and next year the Bruins let loose. Start with Rask.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Backes was a solid player for Boston last year. Overpaid by a couple million. Weise might be overpaid by a couple million as well and isn't a solid player. I'm not sure if he is the same guy we remember from the end of his days in MTL. I'd want to know how the Bruins were going to spend the 3.65m in found money given their weakness was middle six scoring and you are moving out middle six scoring. 3.65m is obviously not enough money to bring back Rick Nash or get Kovi. So what are you really gaining here?

If you can move out Backes ENTIRE cap hit, or take back a guy on an expiring deal I'm all over it.

Backes has a 3 million dollar bonus this year and 3 million in salary. If you pay the bonus this year, can you find a team that wants Backes at 3m, 4m and 4m in real $ (6 million in cap) that will take the whole deal? Its not crazy if they are not a cap team.

If Bruins suddenly have 6 million in more cap space, it opens up a lot.

Weise is only making a couple of million, $2.35 m to be exact, and his contract expires in 2020. I thought he would be a neutral part of the deal and offered a 2nd rather than the 3rd that was mentioned by at least one person earlier in the thread.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Backes is starting down the slope of injured a lot, no way a team should want him unless Bruins retain a fair amount.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I'm trying to decide if Backes would be a good fit for the Avs. We desperately need a 2nd line center AND we have all the cap space in the world. Seems like Tavares and Stastny will be signed by other teams.

It also sounds like the B's are really just interested in cap space so we could likely throw you guys a draft pick for him.

I worry that he's 34...he did have a great season this year though. 33pts in 57GP. Perfect 2nd line stats.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Weise is only making a couple of million, $2.35 m to be exact, and his contract expires in 2020. I thought he would be a neutral part of the deal and offered a 2nd rather than the 3rd that was mentioned by at least one person earlier in the thread.

I get you, but moving Backes would be to spend the money better elsewhere. The 3.55 m in savings isn’t enough to even replace a guy the quality of Backes, never mind improve the team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Another team shopping their overpriced UFA signing just a couple years into the deal. Color me shocked.
Yet it happens over and over again. Why? I guess GM's trying to keep their jobs and start doing dumb things.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Backes is starting down the slope of injured a lot, no way a team should want him unless Bruins retain a fair amount.
I don't know if that's true. The last two years, it's been 'medical' issues that have kept him out of most of the games he's missed, not actual hockey related injuries.

In 2016-17 he played 74 games and most of the games he missed were because he had a cyst removed from his arm. Last year he only missed 5 games due to hockey related injuries. It was colon surgery that kept him out of a bunch of games but I'd like to think that a guy in his mid-30's won't need health related surgery every year.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The Blues had the option of signing him to that contract before he left and they passed.

Seems pretty unlikely they're going to trade a pick to take on that contract now, especially since what should have been the two best years of the deal are already done.

Didn't the Blues offer him $6m over 5 years, or was it $5m over 6 years? Regardless, the Blues did seem interested in hanging onto him, they just weren't willing to go quite as far as Boston. But if they traded for him after July 1st, Boston will have paid out the majority of that contract. The Blues would only be on the hook for $11m over 3 years or about $3.66 per year, which is a good bit less than what they were willing to spend. That might be enough to make it worth their while.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
With both having NMC can't see anything happening from the Bruins brace. So one more cup run with them and next year the Bruins let loose. Start with Rask.
Rask isn't going anywhere, when you don't have depth in the system, bobby, even for short term injury relief....

B's goalies are:

Rask;
Khudobin;
McIntyre;
Vladar;

and then 2 prospects not even eligible professionally as of yet...

Keyser;
Swayman;

How did you think Jordan Binnington landed in Providence on loan from St. Louis after Vegas claimed Malcolm Subban off the season opening waiver rule, Boston benefitted from that transaction but that's not an option this season

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think the Bruins would have to retain a little to move Krejci and get something solid in return. He's still a very good, productive player but even at $6.25 he'd be a little easier to absorb onto a contending team. At $5.25 he'd be a good deal.

The other issue is that he has a NMC for one more season (this season) but I actually think that puts some pressure on Krejci. If he OK's a deal now, he can pick his spot, in 12 months he could be traded to half the league without any say in the matter.

Bruins fans have often speculated that Carolina would be a good landing spot for him because his wife is from there and he lives in that region during the off-season. But I could also see him welcoming a trade to MTL to play for Julien again.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Is Backes a 'pay to go away' situation?

I still really like Backes on the team. Had surgery this season which was non-injury related and it was disappointing that he couldn't get a few more points, especially in the playoffs, but he's earned his money. People are pointing to the future when the cap hit will hurt and that he's slower than you'd like but he's still a really effective player and solid leader. As a Bruins fan I have no problem with him staying and playing out his contract as with the amount of kids coming in, you need players like him and Bergeron to set the tone as Chara won't be around forever and outside of Krejci, there really isn't anyone else.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
As far as Krejci is concerned. Fine - but Sweeney better have a plan because, although Bruins fans take him for granted, he's a major part of the team and fans will be singing Joni Mitchell before long. If he's moved - the Bruins are downgrading at centre as you're not going to get a comparable player this summer.

I'll put it this way, the contract is big, but if moved, Krejci would be one of the best, if not the best, forward traded in the past half decade or more. Trying to search my hazy memory for better players traded lately.

Reactions: WJCJ

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Kreicji is soo smart and an elite playmaker IMO but hes played 1 complete season in the last 9. I wouldnt touch him.

Backes can probably be moved at the deadline but no point in trading for him now

That's such an odd way to look at why you wouldn't touch him. His total GP% over the last 9 seasons:

64/82 = 78%
82/82 = 100%
72/82 = 88%
47/82 = 57%
80/82 = 98%
47/48 = 98%
79/82 = 96%
75/82 = 91%
79/82 = 96%

Now, if you wanted to look over the last 5 years, his percentage of games played is 58% which is terrible. That would be a reason why someone may not want to touch him. To reference his last 9 seasons though? Lol......

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00