Dreger: Interest in David Krejci? Bruins would also like to move Backes

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If only the Bruins had been shopping out their centers a few years ago when the Capitals actually needed center help....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Huge rumor: (Every team who signs a big ticket UFA) is looking to move(their big UFA signing).
Yeah. Like when will teams learn not to give out term past age 35? Have to have led firm on the term otherwise you’ll be searching for a way out after year 3 of a 6 year deal.

And this is the reason why Stl didn’t match what Boston was willing to give. You benefit for the first 2-3 years and then have to suffer for the remaining 2-3 years. Pretty much how it goes.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
if the Bruins retained a little salary, i'd take Krejci on the Flyers in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Rebels57

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
When will Gm’s learn not to hand out these contracts. Lucic, Backes, Ladd, Eriksson everyone on these boards called them bad contracts. This is the reason that posters think they could do a better job. They might actually be able to.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
So who plays C after Bergeron if they move a center in Krejci and a sometimes center in Backes? I know Riley Nash is an unrestricted free agent as well. Boston trying to get younger and faster?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Krejci is still a good player with value. Backes not so much.
Backes scored 33 pts in 57 games last season while returning 4 weeks early after having colon surgery and having a leg laceration later in the season. He can play center and right wing, is physical, and has a two-way game.

If the Bruins retain $1-2m, Backes would be a fit for a team looking for a 40pt player that has the qualities I mentioned as well as a leadership presence in a locker room. There is some value to that kind of player. His biggest flaw is that he is slow.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd imagine Jarmo is kicking the tires of these two. Backes would easily be the cheaper of the two.

What would Boston want in return for either player?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Carolina wants to get tougher and Boston will need a backup, if Backes' head isn't scrambled, Boston pays this coming year's bonus so Backes is paid less real dollars:

Darling + 2nd for Backes

Boston saves nearly 2 million in cap, Carolina saves almost 5 million in actual dollars, pick is sent Boston's way because Backes is actually serviceable

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bruins and Carolina might be able to work something out. Krejci/Backes for Skinner/Hanifin

If Carolinas Gm isn't the worst Gm in the World he's not trading Hanifin for Krejci, unless Boston add something like DeBrusk whatever.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Carolina wants to get tougher and Boston will need a backup, if Backes' head isn't scrambled, Boston pays this coming year's bonus so Backes is paid less real dollars:

Darling + 2nd/3rd for Backes

Boston saves nearly 2 million in cap, Carolina saves almost 5 million in actual dollars, pick is sent Boston's way because Backes is actually serviceable
Darling's cap hit is too high and long for a backup. The Bruins are interested in bringing Khudobin back who would probably cost half of Darling's cap hit and wouldn't require the Bruins eating money either.
I'd imagine Jarmo is kicking the tires of these two. Backes would easily be the cheaper of the two.

What would Boston want in return for either player?
Not sure. Currently the Bruins could use a #3C and a #4LD. If Krejci is moved, the Bruins would probably want to add another center if neither Krejci or Backes returns one. My guess, a Kesler-like deal, at the time it was made not what those players turned out to be today, for Krejci. For Backes, I'm not sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad