Dreger: Interest in David Krejci? Bruins would also like to move Backes

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
if the bruins trade trade krejci, the depth at center gets really really thin. Cant rely on young center (JFK, Frederick, Fitz) to shoulder a responsible role next year. And if Kuraly is the Bruins 3rd line Center, things get really really thin past bergeron.
no way krejci goes anywhere, unless there is a real back up plan for #2 center.

Reactions: Skelen

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Is Backes a 'pay to go away' situation?

I don’t believe so.

The Bruins cap situation isn’t so bad to force a move like that.

Backes still brings a lot to the table when healthy even if overpriced.

Only way I see Krejci being traded is if Tavares doesn’t resign with the Islanders. The center depth is pretty unproven with guys like JFK and Frederic.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Backes for Perry + ? What kind of plus would it take?

Both with 3 years left, Ducks would save about $10M in salary and get a guy who could fill in for Kesler this season.

Bruins could light a fire under Perry if he finds the right linemates; if not, don't see him getting any worst, really. Plus, amp up the hate having both Marchand + Perry on the team ;)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
When will Gm’s learn not to hand out these contracts. Lucic, Backes, Ladd, Eriksson everyone on these boards called them bad contracts. This is the reason that posters think they could do a better job. They might actually be able to.

Then we see the sedins, joe thornton, marty st louis, shane doan, teemu selanne, and dozens more guys who remain impactful team leaders and key front line studs on their team into their late 30s

One thing about entertainment business... famous established names sell tickets

Generate money

Another thing about unionized jobs... seniority gets paid

Of course in a sports world age is not our friend, and slows us down... but owners will continue to gamble on vets because it pays off more often than it fails

And season buying ticket fans like to see their teams attempting to get better in the summer before committing to very pricey tickets sometimes

Most casual fans still prefer well established brand name players to some struggling kid

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Both with 3 years left, Ducks would save about $10M in salary and get a guy who could fill in for Kesler this season.

Bruins could light a fire under Perry if he finds the right linemates; if not, don't see him getting any worst, really. Plus, amp up the hate having both Marchand + Perry on the team ;)

Perrys cap hit's too much for season 19-.

Too many kids to sign to have Perry at 8.6M.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Honestly if you can balance the money it shouldnt take any plus at all imho. Im one of backes biggest supporters but he cant crack our top two lines and 6 mill is too much for any 3rd liner.

Meanwhile, perry fits the profile of the type of guy we want with krejci.

If anaheim ate the difference in cap hit id ok the swap

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Possibly a fear he might be a concusion risk. As he deals with his injuries i begin to imagine he ends up on ltir his last couple seasons like a jeoffrey lupal or a maatias ohlund and you are never sure if he might play again or not

Hard for contenders to have someone like that around even if the money is paid by insurance

When he was healthy last year he was a very strong asset for the 3rd line and his rep as a leader in dressing room is strong,

But on the downside he hasnt fit in with bergeron or krejci.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Honestly if you can balance the money it shouldnt take any plus at all imho. Im one of backes biggest supporters but he cant crack our top two lines and 6 mill is too much for any 3rd liner.

Anaheim does care more about salary than cap, but if they retained enough on Perry to make the deal even at $6M cap each, that means they only save 708K per season. Not sure that is enough for them to pull the trigger.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would love to have Krejci centering our 2nd line behind Hischier... What are the Bruins looking for?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'd imagine Jarmo is kicking the tires of these two. Backes would easily be the cheaper of the two.

What would Boston want in return for either player?
Carolina wants to get tougher and Boston will need a backup, if Backes' head isn't scrambled, Boston pays this coming year's bonus so Backes is paid less real dollars:

Darling + 2nd for Backes

Boston saves nearly 2 million in cap, Carolina saves almost 5 million in actual dollars, pick is sent Boston's way because Backes is actually serviceable

Carolina is a possibility for krejci as he lives in that neck of the woods. Maybe backes would waive too?

Coming back we would need a center... someone that could float between second and third line depending how our kids develop. The guy i see is jordan staal

Staal is signed longer but a lower cap hit than krejci.

Id take darling too

Krecji and backes 3 year contract each 13.25 mill
For
Staal and darling with their 10.15 cap hit next 3 years

Carolina gets a huge boost to their locker room and culture change. Boston hopes darling reverts to chicago form once hes back on a winning team as a backup.

If carolina wanted one of mcquaid or miller for even more leadership/culture im sure one of them could be added at very little cost. Maybe carolina retains a bit of cap hit?

I actually am suddenly liking the idea of staal on boston... hes the guy im looking at if hanifin is too expensive to get

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If the Bruins added one of their veteran RHD, that would more or less balance out the salary for one year (McQuaid) or two (Miller). Not sure if that would work for Boston, but I would think Anaheim could use an inexpensive veteran to slot in next to a rookie on the bottom pair.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
I took a look at Carolina's roster and picked out Staal, but not sure they'd want to trade him for another center. I would think they want to keep him to go with whomever is acquired. Interesting subject tho.

Perry might be a good risk to take if we don't land Kovy and move on from Rick Nash. If the money works out I'd do it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Anaheim does care more about salary than cap, but if they retained enough on Perry to make the deal even at $6M cap each, that means they only save 708K per season. Not sure that is enough for them to pull the trigger.

Maybe the deal should be ecpanded

Perry (1.25 mill retained leaving him at 7 cap hit)
Henrique (at 4 mill for 1 year)
For
Backes
Kevan miller (2.5 for 2 years right shot dman)

Boston gets a short term center depth they need as their kids get ahl experience. Get that big body right wing they always want.

Move out an extra right hand shot dman they dont really need when they already have mcavoy, carlo, mcquaid. Losing that 2.5 mill cap hit for 2019-20 when mcavoy, heinen, donato are due raises is important. Backes is only owed 8 mill cash his final 2 seasons. So getting henrique off the books this year and then backes instead of perry next 2 years... does add up for anaheims owners

Meanwhile im assuming anaheim might be moving on from bieska? If so, miller can be a useful short term replacement

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Maybe the deal should be ecpanded

Perry (1.25 mill retained leaving him at 7 cap hit)
Henrique (at 4 mill for 1 year)
For
Backes
Kevan miller (2.5 for 2 years right shot dman)

Boston gets a short term center depth they need as their kids get ahl experience. Get that big body right wing they always want.

Move out an extra right hand shot dman they dont really need when they already have mcavoy, carlo, mcquaid. Losing that 2.5 mill cap hit for 2019-20 when mcavoy, heinen, donato are due raises is important. Backes is only owed 8 mill cash his final 2 seasons. So getting henrique off the books this year and then backes instead of perry next 2 years... does add up for anaheims owners

Meanwhile im assuming anaheim might be moving on from bieska? If so, miller can be a useful short term replacement

Henrique's value to the Ducks far exceeds anything this deal would accomplish.

Perry for Backes + Miller seems close enough to me, certainly wouldn't add our 2C to the equation.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Backes and Krejci both still contribute when healthy, why exactly are the Bruins considering moving them or is it all cap related?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
In my opinion, no. I think it has more to do with the potential addition of Kovalchuk/Rick Nash and the up and coming prospects the Bruins have. Cassidy preferred to play Backes at RW because the Bruins lacked size at that position. If the Bruins do add Kovalchuk, who brings some size and scoring, they would have Pastrnak, Kovalchuk (Sweeney said they are trying to sell him on playing RW), and Backes at RW in the top 9. The problem is, the Bruins have a bunch of young NHL-ready players, and Backes would be holding a top 9 roster spot over one of them. Backes, especially given his cap hit, would be a waste playing on the 4th line as well as any of the prospects that would be battling for a top 9 W position.
Backes and Krejci both still contribute when healthy, why exactly are the Bruins considering moving them or is it all cap related?
From the sound of things, it only sounds like the Bruins are considering moving Backes while teams are interested in Krejci, doesn't mean the Bruins will move him.

Reactions: Paul4587

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Im guessing cap management is 99.9%

This years cap isnt a huge problem unless we are in the market for tavares.

But looking forward over next 2 seasons we see new contracts for

Mcavoy
Krug
Carlo
Debrusk
Heinen
Donato

None of marchand, bergeron, prastrnak, rask , krecji, backes expire for the next 2 years

If these 6 guys are on the books for for 40 mill and those other 6 guys get a boost to around 25 mill between them... i think its difficult yo havr 65 mill tied up in 12 players. Suddenly you need half your team on contracts less than 2 mill.

Its not critical for boston to make a move this year but its in the cards down the road and doesnt hurt to kick the tires now if a 'hockey trade were made available.

Although deep down inside my gut is wondering if we are trying to find room for tavares?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Carolina is a possibility for krejci as he lives in that neck of the woods. Maybe backes would waive too?

Coming back we would need a center... someone that could float between second and third line depending how our kids develop. The guy i see is jordan staal

Staal is signed longer but a lower cap hit than krejci.

Id take darling too

Krecji and backes 3 year contract each 13.25 mill
For
Staal and darling with their 10.15 cap hit next 3 years

Carolina gets a huge boost to their locker room and culture change. Boston hopes darling reverts to chicago form once hes back on a winning team as a backup.

If carolina wanted one of mcquaid or miller for even more leadership/culture im sure one of them could be added at very little cost. Maybe carolina retains a bit of cap hit?

I actually am suddenly liking the idea of staal on boston... hes the guy im looking at if hanifin is too expensive to get
Carolina has zero interest in moving Staal unless you can send back another center who can shut down top lines every night while putting up 50ish points a year doing it. Krejci/Backes are not those guys. And we're especially not trading him just to get rid of Darling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad