Dreger: Interest in David Krejci? Bruins would also like to move Backes

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's such an odd way to look at why you wouldn't touch him. His total GP% over the last 9 seasons:

64/82 = 78%
82/82 = 100%
72/82 = 88%
47/82 = 57%
80/82 = 98%
47/48 = 98%
79/82 = 96%
75/82 = 91%
79/82 = 96%

Now, if you wanted to look over the last 5 years, his percentage of games played is 58% which is terrible. That would be a reason why someone may not want to touch him. To reference his last 9 seasons though? Lol......

Well, you proved his point better than he did.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That's such an odd way to look at why you wouldn't touch him. His total GP% over the last 9 seasons:

64/82 = 78%
82/82 = 100%
72/82 = 88%
47/82 = 57%
80/82 = 98%
47/48 = 98%
79/82 = 96%
75/82 = 91%
79/82 = 96%

Now, if you wanted to look over the last 5 years, his percentage of games played is 58% which is terrible. That would be a reason why someone may not want to touch him. To reference his last 9 seasons though? Lol......

I think you had a bad math moment. He has played 85% of the games the past 5 years. That is 70 games a year. With most of that damage coming from his hip issue 4 years ago. From a Ranger's perspective, that is one game less per season than Mika Zibanejad has played over the past 5 years.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Didn't the Blues offer him $6m over 5 years, or was it $5m over 6 years? Regardless, the Blues did seem interested in hanging onto him, they just weren't willing to go quite as far as Boston. But if they traded for him after July 1st, Boston will have paid out the majority of that contract. The Blues would only be on the hook for $11m over 3 years or about $3.66 per year, which is a good bit less than what they were willing to spend. That might be enough to make it worth their while.
The amount of real dollars remaining would probably matter to some teams more, but the Blues spend to the cap so the cap hit matters more than the cash.

Boston was willing to offer one more year than the Blues, who had already maxed their offer. If Boston hadn't and the Blues had signed Backes instead, the subsequent roster management likely would have played out much differently than it actually did.

Too many dominoes have fallen since then, and Backes isn't the same player he was when the Blues offered the contract. It's very hard for me to believe the Blues would be interested in bringing Backes back now.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm trying to decide if Backes would be a good fit for the Avs. We desperately need a 2nd line center AND we have all the cap space in the world. Seems like Tavares and Stastny will be signed by other teams.

It also sounds like the B's are really just interested in cap space so we could likely throw you guys a draft pick for him.

I worry that he's 34...he did have a great season this year though. 33pts in 57GP. Perfect 2nd line stats.

He had been playing mostly wing in Boston. He has played C when there have been injuries. He has looked good so we aren’t entirely sure why he hasnt played C more here. Bruins having Pasta as their only natural RW probably has something to do with it. Rumor has it he was resistant to playing C when Julien was here and the C was basically 3rd D, but Cassidy’s system is different.

Edit: regardless of whether he lines up on the dot or on Kerfoot’s right wing to provide some size and stability to he and Yost, Colorado was the first team I thought of.

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
Rask isn't going anywhere, when you don't have depth in the system, bobby, even for short term injury relief....

B's goalies are:

Rask;
Khudobin;
McIntyre;
Vladar;

and then 2 prospects not even eligible professionally as of yet...

Keyser;
Swayman;

How did you think Jordan Binnington landed in Providence on loan from St. Louis after Vegas claimed Malcolm Subban off the season opening waiver rule, Boston benefitted from that transaction but that's not an option this season

100% agreed that's why I said next year unless you get an offer you can't refuse like say Rask/Krejci for Price. Then all aboard.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Sounds like Backes is much more for sale but teams are more interested in Krejci.

Backes I believe, because I never really liked that signing in the first place. Krejci I simply dont believe at all, because the Bruins are still a contending team and it doesnt make sense to sell him off now. If the wheels fall off, sure, at the deadline, why not? But now? No.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
100% agreed that's why I said next year unless you get an offer you can't refuse like say Rask/Krejci for Price. Then all aboard.

All aboard on what? Prices contract is an anchor I want nothing to do with.

Rask/Krejci aren't off the table entirely I just don't see a reason for trading them when we don't have anything in the system to replace them.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Why is Krejci for sale?

I dont believe it.

The quote is more like Backes would be available and teams are calling asking about Krejci and Sweeney says he's not sure there is a deal that would make him move Krejci(paraphrasing). I think some people read that as if you want him you need to offer more than you are offering while it may or may not mean anything at all.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Backes for Brock Nelson? Nelson is RFA and 20 goals/year guy. He can play centre and LW. His knock is that he is not able to create plays, but he's pretty good at taking advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself and he's got a zipper of a wrist shot. Not quite as good as Boeser, but not that far off either.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
What move would get David Backes on the Habs? He can still play C, give some cap relief to Boston. What gets this done?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
For all the crap Krejci gets on here he is still a very good two way 2nd line center. Of centers to play at least half the season he sits at 35 in PPG. He produced very well in the playoffs and could have done even better if both his wingers weren’t playing injured against TB.

I don’t see the Bruins moving on from him without a replacement ready or unless, in some fantasy land, they sign Tavares. They already need to hope a rookie can take the 3c job if they let Riley Nash go, as they should if he can’t be resigned for cheap. Next year is a different story with a lot of guys needing to be resigned but others need to make him expendable which just isn’t the case as of now.

Same with Backes. 32 in PPG for RWers(probably a little lower because all the RWs listed as a C). Versatile, underrated passer, good intangibles, great clean hitter, gets to the net and makes life tough for defenders and goaltenders. He’s on the slower side but you can still win in this league with a few slow guys and there are very few fast guys in the league that provide what Backes does and they are not often available. Sans Backes, the Bruins have one of the least physical top 9s in the league and have only one RHS RW in it. They have some kids that could play RW but they(Donato,Heinen,Bjork) all shoot left.

I honestly wouldn’t move either of these guys this year. If the cap goes up to where they think it might the Bruins will have plenty of cap space and there are guys that are more redundant that could be dumped for cap space(McQuaid or Miller, love them both but only really need one of them).

Reactions: Skelen

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think you had a bad math moment. He has played 85% of the games the past 5 years. That is 70 games a year. With most of that damage coming from his hip issue 4 years ago. From a Ranger's perspective, that is one game less per season than Mika Zibanejad has played over the past 5 years.

It's also not accurate. He played 85% of the games not 58%. Almost all of those games lost in two years.

I figured out where I went wrong. I was using google's calculator to start (bad decision. Should have used my iPhone. Bouncing back and forth between tabs was annoying). So, first off. I only totaled the last 4 seasons. I left out the 5th season where he played 80/82. The biggest reason I f***ed up is because in the second season, instead of doing '82,' I had '8'. Obviously, screwing up that number big time. My math was correct in the sense that:

64+8+72+47 = 191/328 (which would be 4 total seasons) = 58%

But Krejci played the full year (last season), not 8 games, and I left off the final year. Thank you for correcting me. And with that, the OP who made the brutal point of not wanting Krejci because he's only played 1 full season the last 9 years, looks worse. Because even the last 5 years, he's still played a lot of games.

Nice find of Zibanejad, also.....You should take these findings to the Bruins forum, where Krejci is viewed by some (wrongly) as this often-injured center. Unless 85% doesn't meet their criteria.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Backes for Brock Nelson? Nelson is RFA and 20 goals/year guy. He can play centre and LW. His knock is that he is not able to create plays, but he's pretty good at taking advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself and he's got a zipper of a wrist shot. Not quite as good as Boeser, but not that far off either.

Isn't Brock Nelson one of those players who, if he's not scoring goals, is as useless as it gets?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Isn't Brock Nelson one of those players who, if he's not scoring goals, is as useless as it gets?

2 things. The reason why he goes streaky is because he doesn't play with playmakers. He cannot create plays on his own and if he plays with others like that, he doesn't score. He is an opportunist, so he'll get one in when he gets the chance.

He's been working on his game this year and being more tough..he dropped the gloves for the first time this year and won..(surprised all of us)..both dropping the gloves AND winning. He's not a defensive black hole, but could be better.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Why would anybody want Backes after he limped off the likely another concussion after barely getting hit? You might be stuck with him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

im sure as hell glad no one would trade for Charlie McAvoy after his injury problems last year... and carlo getting injured and missing the playoffs 2 years in a row is incredibly injury prone too

stay away other teams... let us keep our injury prone dmen :)

luckily real teams have a lot more intelligence then some fans on a trade board and would understand the difference between a guy with injury problems and a mortal human being who while playing hockey suffered a couple routine everyday injuries

Reactions: Skelen

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
All aboard on what? Prices contract is an anchor I want nothing to do with.

Rask/Krejci aren't off the table entirely I just don't see a reason for trading them when we don't have anything in the system to replace them.

Well, you would really just have to find a replacement for Krejci. Price replaces Rask+)You move Backes to centre with Pasta/Marchand(good results when Bergeron was out two years ago) and get Bergeron some new linemates(Jake/Ryan) to name a few, or take that $4 mil differents to gets you a second line centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad