Dreger: Interest in David Krejci? Bruins would also like to move Backes

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If Boston wants a center coming back than no way to Columbus has a chance unless you guys want a nonproven prospect.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Victor Rask + 2nd for Krejci

Canes aren’t moving Staal. Nobody has mentioned his name and he has a NMC. He’s a pretty integral part of their shutdown group with no replacement.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Carolina has zero interest in moving Staal unless you can send back another center who can shut down top lines every night while putting up 50ish points a year doing it. Krejci/Backes are not those guys. And we're especially not trading him just to get rid of Darling.
Uh... Krejci and Backes are both two way centers who can put up 40-50+ points...

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
A lot of very good posts here (which you don’t often see in trade threads).

The major stumbling blocks are the NMCs that Backes and Krejci have. I’d love to see Boston move on from one or both players, but how realistic is it to expect them to waive?

I think that management realizes that both players provide poor value for the money that they earn. As mentioned, Boston will also have to sign a bunch of kids in less than two years. In addition, the team may very well be eyeing Kovalchuk and Tavares. Landing the latter would be incredible, but Krejci would definitely have to be traded, at least. You’d have to think that Tavares would welcome signing in Boston: he’s close to Bergeron and Marchand, and the Bruins have a lot of talented young wingers (Debrusk, Donato, Bjork and Heinen) to go along with a solid defense and goaltending.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I can't see anybody taking either of those contracts, especially Backes. Intangibles are great and all but they aren't worth 6 million a year when you are a 35-45 point forward who is also not getting any younger at 34 years old. Three more years at 6 million per, just a brutal contract.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I would disagree. Backes is still effective defensively and can post points.

Steen was posting points but hes definitely mooching points off teammates. He's slowed down quite a bit, and his defense has regressed.
Steen is a better skater, and better offensively. Backes is a 40-45 point guy these days. Steen can still hit 50+ points, he's still more of a top 6 forward.

I wouldn't make that deal.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I'd trade Backes to St.L for a pick if it were up to me.
I dont think he's useless by any means but I think we can find a vet to replace his leadership, grit, and points for way cheaper while allowing us to upgrade our D which we really need to do.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Here are some crazy fantasy trades. I think the Bruins pretty much stay put though, I would be fine just unloading Backes for a pick to help clear space long term.

Edm: Krug
Bos: 10th Overall

Car: Krejci, Prospect, 10th Overall
Bos: Hanifin

Bos: Perry (7mill Cap hit)
Anh: Backes and Miller

Bos: Signs Tavares

Reactions: veganbruin

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I'd trade Backes to St.L for a pick if it were up to me.
I dont think he's useless by any means but I think we can find a vet to replace his leadership, grit, and points for way cheaper while allowing us to upgrade our D which we really need to do.
Trading him for a pick and no cap coming back is wishful thinking. Team overpays for older UFA and then unloads the last two, most painful years, for free. Good luck with that.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Kreicji is soo smart and an elite playmaker IMO but hes played 1 complete season in the last 9. I wouldnt touch him.

Backes can probably be moved at the deadline but no point in trading for him now

Only twice has he missed more than a handful of games. Last year he missed 18 and 35 in 2014-15. The rest he missed a handful of games, most being like 1 or 2 or 3 games. Playing 79 or 80 games is very close to a full season and 47 out of 48 in the shortened season. He has missed 79 games in his career, most being taken up by missing half a season with an injury. 12 years and he has missed 79 games, 35 in one shot. That means that if you leave that injury out he averages missing about 3 games a year over the rest of his seasons played.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Both have NMCs... So that brings the likely hood of either of them moving way down.

However, of the two, Backes is the one that has to go. Unless you're replacing Krejci with someone.

The hole you leave in your lineup by subtracting Krejci is much bigger than the hole left by moving Backes.

And this is coming from a guy that is more than willing to part ways with Krejci. :laugh:

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Both have NMCs... So that brings the likely hood of either of them moving way down.

However, of the two, Backes is the one that has to go. Unless you're replacing Krejci with someone.

The hole you leave in your lineup by subtracting Krejci is much bigger than the hole left by moving Backes.

And this is coming from a guy that is more than willing to part ways with Krejci. :laugh:

I believe teams are asking about Krejci but I just have a hard time believing that the Bruins would move him without a replacement who is his equal. If they were signing Tavares for example, then there is a reason to move Krejci and Backes. If they are trading for Karlsson there is a reason to make so much cap space but I am not really expecting either of those guys to be joining the team.

Having that cap space is great but having a good team is a lot better so there has to be a reason if they are looking to move those guys, I just can't really guess what it would be.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Here are some crazy fantasy trades. I think the Bruins pretty much stay put though, I would be fine just unloading Backes for a pick to help clear space long term.

Edm: Krug
Bos: 10th Overall

Car: Krejci, Prospect, 10th Overall
Bos: Hanifin

Bos: Perry (7mill Cap hit)
Anh: Backes and Miller

Bos: Signs Tavares
Boston hangs up on Chiarelli as would most Bruin fans, slim, btw, you're trading Krug, who is coming off a broken ankle, at minimum, so no team is interested in a rehabbing player, so you have to account for that in any trade....

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Carolina is a possibility for krejci as he lives in that neck of the woods. Maybe backes would waive too?

Coming back we would need a center... someone that could float between second and third line depending how our kids develop. The guy i see is jordan staal

Staal is signed longer but a lower cap hit than krejci.

Id take darling too

Krecji and backes 3 year contract each 13.25 mill
For
Staal and darling with their 10.15 cap hit next 3 years

Carolina gets a huge boost to their locker room and culture change. Boston hopes darling reverts to chicago form once hes back on a winning team as a backup.

If carolina wanted one of mcquaid or miller for even more leadership/culture im sure one of them could be added at very little cost. Maybe carolina retains a bit of cap hit?

I actually am suddenly liking the idea of staal on boston... hes the guy im looking at if hanifin is too expensive to get
Part of me likes this idea, but it sure is risky. I would only do this if there is a real chance of getting JT.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Backes - 3 years @ $6,000,000

for

Brouwer - 2 years @ $4,500,000

B's fans?
I would pass. In my opinion, the decrease in production from Backes to Brouwer and Backes' overall game and usefulness to the Bruins isn't worth getting a contract in return that frees up $1.5M and is one year shorter. The Bruins are in a comfortable position cap-wise, and if Backes stays a Bruin, he would be moveable in his last year.

Reactions: BurnEmUp

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Backes - 3 years @ $6,000,000

for

Brouwer - 2 years @ $4,500,000

B's fans?

Thanks but no thanks from me.

I think some people are under the impression that Backes was terrible but he really wasn't.

If he had managed to play a full season instead of having an injury and surgery it is possible that he could have put together a 50 point season since he scored at the rate needed to do that for 57 games.

Backes is also a leader and he can play any forward position in any situation. I would rather keep him than trade him for Brouwer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad