Dreger: Interest in David Krejci? Bruins would also like to move Backes

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
He is not........This is fan talk......

More then just fan talk.

NHL Rumors: Mike Hoffman, David Krejci, Cam Talbot, More

Boston Moving David Krejci and/or David Backes?
Darren Dreger of TSN spoke about the Boston Bruins interest in Ilya Kovalchuk but that one of the interesting ways the Bruins might make room is by moving David Krejci. While there is hesitation in doing so, there are also a number of teams interested in the center. GM Don Sweeney has gotten several calls. Dreger said;

“I know that there are teams calling on David Krejci as well. The Bruins would like to move [David] Backes. I think they’re again a little reluctant to consider trading David Krejci, but every player has a price tag. I think we need to look at Don Sweeney, the GM of the Bruins, as being perhaps a team and a GM that could be very active in the days ahead.”​

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Well, you would really just have to find a replacement for Krejci. Price replaces Rask+)You move Backes to centre with Pasta/Marchand(good results when Bergeron was out two years ago) and get Bergeron some new linemates(Jake/Ryan) to name a few, or take that $4 mil differents to gets you a second line centre.

Backes to center? 2nd line center for a contending team? HARD pass on what you're presenting here.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
That doesn't say Krejci is for sale though, it says that teams are calling on Krejci and Sweeney is reluctant to consider it.
Players don't need to be on the block to be for sale.

I think any player should have the right price tag.

Will another team pay it? That's yet to be seen. But in a world where Scott Gomez returns value... anything is possible (likely not probable, but possible).

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
That’s true. Bruins would take a step back this season if they traded Krejci unless they have a replacement. I wouldn’t do it until next season.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Backes would be a great addition for an internal budget team after he collects his 3M signing bonus on July 1st.

After collecting his singing bonus he has the following left on his contract in real dollars:
3M
4M
4M
11M over 3 seasons = Average of 3.66M

For a team like the Canes, Yotes, Panthers, Sens Backes would be a great addition.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Players don't need to be on the block to be for sale.

I think any player should have the right price tag.

Will another team pay it? That's yet to be seen. But in a world where Scott Gomez returns value... anything is possible (likely not probable, but possible).

Maybe this is just the way I see things, but when something is for sale, it is actively trying to be sold, not if the price is right. There is a price for Patrice Bergeron too, that doesn't mean he's for sale to me anyway. Charlie McAvoy has a price too, also not for sale.

I agree that there absolutely is a price though as there is for any player. If you want to look at it that way then every player is for sale, that is not what I was talking about though.

Just speaking from my point of view, my house is not for sale but if someone offered me enough I would sell it to them. To me "for sale" indicates an action, a decision to be a seller. A lot of things have their price that aren't for sale. That is just the way I see things, I am not saying it is how you should see things.

Last edited:

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Not very interested in seeing Hertl traded

For my interest it is a beauty to seen Hertl in Bourque and Thornton old team Bruins it is speficially after all when Bruins need younger team in age average new top teams are younger in average next season.

Hertl is possibility next season for Bruins SC dream become true. Statsny or Backes are one dream team mate in Seattle this new club need one very good American over there its an team in West coastline.

Patrice Bergeron too

Not even in selling.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Both have NMCs... So that brings the likely hood of either of them moving way down.

However, of the two, Backes is the one that has to go. Unless you're replacing Krejci with someone.

The hole you leave in your lineup by subtracting Krejci is much bigger than the hole left by moving Backes.

And this is coming from a guy that is more than willing to part ways with Krejci. :laugh:

When a team is looking to trade the player and another team wants the player.... half the time will drop his nmc...as long as its a contender and or a city/team you want to play for

If not now, you know the player would likely be bothered with trades in a year anyways

This is also a good stategy by the Bruins. Maybe it lights a fire under Krejci azz

I think Bruins want Kovalchuk badly but he is looking for Marleau deal/money. 3 year at 7 per season. Bruins cant really afford this unless trading Krejci or Backes

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Sweeney is not trading Krejci no matter what Dreger says. Not sure but he has a limited No trade. Who replaces him ? There are not to many centers like Krejci....He is one of the three most important players on this team.....Over payment, sure, other then that he goes nowhere.

He actually has an NMC for another year. Limited NTC doesn't kick in until next season, at which point I think Krejci needs to provide a list of 15 teams.

I wasn't commenting on the likelihood of him getting moved, only that it's more then just fan talk at this point.

Reactions: JP Nolan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Maybe this is just the way I see things, but when something is for sale, it is actively trying to be sold, not if the price is right. There is a price for Patrice Bergeron too, that doesn't mean he's for sale to me anyway. Charlie McAvoy has a price too, also not for sale.

I agree that there absolutely is a price though as there is for any player. If you want to look at it that way then every player is for sale, that is not what I was talking about though.

Just speaking from my point of view, my house is not for sale but if someone offered me enough I would sell it to them. To me "for sale" indicates an action, a decision to be a seller. A lot of things have their price that aren't for sale. That is just the way I see things, I am not saying it is how you should see things.

not everything {everyone} has a price. its hard for me to put this into words but sometimes things have a value that is above money.

when you are putting together a 'team' there will sometimes be elements of that team [or family] that cant be tampered with unless you are prepared for the team to suffer

I wonder if an example in real life im thinking of can help explain? there are people in this world that sell dogs and cats... its part of their living. they might be breeders or own a pet store. to them a dog or a cat has a price. its for sale if you meet that price

then there are people like me... my cat would not be for sale at any price. someone could offer me a million dollars and I would not be able to accept. I could never sell 'my family'

when we apply this line of though to a hockey team... there are players on most teams that are so fundamentally at the core of the team... they cant be sold.

then there are pieces that might have value... but don't fit anymore

we had a saint Bernard when I was a kid. we lived in a mountain village and that dog had all the room in the world to roam. we had to move for a job to a city. we knew our situation was changing and it would be 'unfair' to that dog to take it away from the life it needed. luckily we had a very good neighbor who had a strong relationship with that dog and wanted to care for the dog.

we didn't sell the dog off for a price... but we came to an understanding that for the good of the family we had to move in 2 directions.

I think when we are talking about david krejci… theres a lot of evidence that it might be best for both the team and krejci to find a spot where he can be happy but not with boston.

its going to be hard decision to make. hes been part of the family for some time now. but for everyone to have a happy tomorrow, maybe its not a fit to stay together now.

while I wouldn't say I think they are actively shopping him... I do think they are respectfully testing the market where he would be happy at. these things must be handled with the utmost of respect because he does have a ntc

there wouldn't even be 1 whisper about it if the team hadn't approached him and tested these waters ahead of time. Sweeney and neely are not so classless that they would try to force a vetern out the door. I fully believe krejci has told the team where he might be willing to go... and so as to not handcuff the team in negotiations, this info was never made public

now an inside source says he has heard that krejci is in play

long time bruin observers like myself have seen the writing on the wall for years now that krejci maybe should be moved. but always, this was a delicate situation. he is after all, a good player... a good citizen.

I wont be surprised at the end of the day if nothing happens this year. boston would need to have a plan to add someone else if they were to move krejci. unless we actually are after Tavares... who could be the replacement?

its far more likely boston has told krejci that if he has a favorite spot to end up {Carolina} they would be very considerate and ONLY offer him there... or if he had 2-3 teams... let him be the boss of where he goes... and they offer him this because next year his ntc becomes much more open

they tell him... let us trade you this year... we will move heaven and earth to land you where you want to be... but next year you might have to settle for 9th or 10th spot on your list

its kind of the same for backes. hes very well respected vet. they did convince him as an ufa to trust them. they will have to respect his ntc when they move him. if they abuse a recent ufa signing it will haunt them in the future.

at the end of the day... neither guy is likely to be dealt for full value because of this circumstance. and I don't really see what the other teams are offering to make a huge difference. I will imagine the number of teams krejci/backes are willing to move to is very limited.

it probably does come down to a salary management question for boston. if they think they are in on Tavares or something similar... maybe the trade for karlsson… im not sure... but whatever... if they actually do need the cap room, then I can understand why they are 'selling' krejci and backes {be it with the upmost of respect}

it doesn't have to disappoint our fans that our team sometimes is the one to offer players for sale. when seguin was being shopped I said weeks ahead of time we would likely shop him. my fellow bruin fans said maybe other teams were asking but we would NEVER shop him. then we watched behind the b's and yes... yes we did shop him

I had the same discussion about boychuk… about lucic… about joe thornton back in the day. its not so horrible that we shop our players sometimes. it might be horrible that we do it on the qt and sometimes don't seem to get full value

hell... theres been a few times gm's have said in the press they didn't even know we were trading a guy...

we don't run a meat market. we aren't cold blooded selling to the highest bidder necessarily. we do respect our players and try to find soft landing spots for them.

we sent lucic to the west coast where he wanted to be. we sent ray bourque where he wanted to be. and if krejci and backes are moved im sure it will be to where they want to be too

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Both Backes and Krejci are more in charge of their destination this year than next. It might be incentive to make the move now. If they both stay this year, expect at the deadline that they will be targets to be moved or by this time next year, they will very likely be heavy in the trade rumour mill. It really is just a matter of time.
Both players have value and I am sure DS will try to get the best he can for these players.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
not everything {everyone} has a price. its hard for me to put this into words but sometimes things have a value that is above money.

when you are putting together a 'team' there will sometimes be elements of that team [or family] that cant be tampered with unless you are prepared for the team to suffer

I wonder if an example in real life im thinking of can help explain? there are people in this world that sell dogs and cats... its part of their living. they might be breeders or own a pet store. to them a dog or a cat has a price. its for sale if you meet that price

then there are people like me... my cat would not be for sale at any price. someone could offer me a million dollars and I would not be able to accept. I could never sell 'my family'

when we apply this line of though to a hockey team... there are players on most teams that are so fundamentally at the core of the team... they cant be sold.

then there are pieces that might have value... but don't fit anymore

we had a saint Bernard when I was a kid. we lived in a mountain village and that dog had all the room in the world to roam. we had to move for a job to a city. we knew our situation was changing and it would be 'unfair' to that dog to take it away from the life it needed. luckily we had a very good neighbor who had a strong relationship with that dog and wanted to care for the dog.

we didn't sell the dog off for a price... but we came to an understanding that for the good of the family we had to move in 2 directions.

I think when we are talking about david krejci… theres a lot of evidence that it might be best for both the team and krejci to find a spot where he can be happy but not with boston.

its going to be hard decision to make. hes been part of the family for some time now. but for everyone to have a happy tomorrow, maybe its not a fit to stay together now.

while I wouldn't say I think they are actively shopping him... I do think they are respectfully testing the market where he would be happy at. these things must be handled with the utmost of respect because he does have a ntc

there wouldn't even be 1 whisper about it if the team hadn't approached him and tested these waters ahead of time. Sweeney and neely are not so classless that they would try to force a vetern out the door. I fully believe krejci has told the team where he might be willing to go... and so as to not handcuff the team in negotiations, this info was never made public

now an inside source says he has heard that krejci is in play

long time bruin observers like myself have seen the writing on the wall for years now that krejci maybe should be moved. but always, this was a delicate situation. he is after all, a good player... a good citizen.

I wont be surprised at the end of the day if nothing happens this year. boston would need to have a plan to add someone else if they were to move krejci. unless we actually are after Tavares... who could be the replacement?

its far more likely boston has told krejci that if he has a favorite spot to end up {Carolina} they would be very considerate and ONLY offer him there... or if he had 2-3 teams... let him be the boss of where he goes... and they offer him this because next year his ntc becomes much more open

they tell him... let us trade you this year... we will move heaven and earth to land you where you want to be... but next year you might have to settle for 9th or 10th spot on your list

its kind of the same for backes. hes very well respected vet. they did convince him as an ufa to trust them. they will have to respect his ntc when they move him. if they abuse a recent ufa signing it will haunt them in the future.

at the end of the day... neither guy is likely to be dealt for full value because of this circumstance. and I don't really see what the other teams are offering to make a huge difference. I will imagine the number of teams krejci/backes are willing to move to is very limited.

it probably does come down to a salary management question for boston. if they think they are in on Tavares or something similar... maybe the trade for karlsson… im not sure... but whatever... if they actually do need the cap room, then I can understand why they are 'selling' krejci and backes {be it with the upmost of respect}

it doesn't have to disappoint our fans that our team sometimes is the one to offer players for sale. when seguin was being shopped I said weeks ahead of time we would likely shop him. my fellow bruin fans said maybe other teams were asking but we would NEVER shop him. then we watched behind the b's and yes... yes we did shop him

I had the same discussion about boychuk… about lucic… about joe thornton back in the day. its not so horrible that we shop our players sometimes. it might be horrible that we do it on the qt and sometimes don't seem to get full value

hell... theres been a few times gm's have said in the press they didn't even know we were trading a guy...

we don't run a meat market. we aren't cold blooded selling to the highest bidder necessarily. we do respect our players and try to find soft landing spots for them.

we sent lucic to the west coast where he wanted to be. we sent ray bourque where he wanted to be. and if krejci and backes are moved im sure it will be to where they want to be too

That is great and I don't really disagree with very much of what you said but all that I said is that Krejci isn't "for sale", meaning the Bruins are not out there beating the bushes trying to drum up buyers, not that they wouldn't trade him if the price was right.

That is what was said in the article. He said the Bruins have gotten calls but Sweeney is reluctant to consider trading him. In the subsequent commentary they said he is reluctant to consider it but everyone has a price.

Now if there is some info that says different, please, let's hear it. I was commenting on what was said, not what I don't know about. When it comes to breaking things about the Bruins, it is always the Canadian guys who do it. When Dreger says the Bruins have gotten calls on Krejci but Sweeney is reluctant to consider it, then that is what I am going to believe. If the Bruins were actively selling Krejci then he would be considering the offers.

It's just the semantics that is making it seem like I have a different opinion. Of course now we know Krejci will be moved at the draft and the Bruins will sign Tavares.:laugh:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I don't get how the Bruins have a bad cap situation, is it just to sign Kovy? They seem like they have more than enough space to sign a back up goalie and a few depth forwards.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I don't get how the Bruins have a bad cap situation, is it just to sign Kovy? They seem like they have more than enough space to sign a back up goalie and a few depth forwards.

I think that if they are going to move Krejci then there has to be more going on than Kovalchuk. Krug has been rumored to be available basically since the season ended. If Krejci, Krug and Backes are on their way out, then just a guess but it seems logical that more would happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad