Injury Report: Injury Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 4m4 minutes ago

#CBJ Matt Calvert out indefinitely because of a concussion, coach Todd Richards said.

chris-farley-bus-driver-gif-x450.gif

anigif_enhanced-28502-1399325009-6.gif

post-47633-Planes-Trains-and-Automobiles-dogq.gif

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 4m4 minutes ago
Calvert’s concussion not initially sustained last night. Had been playing through it, Richards said. #CBJ

Okay. This is a bit irritating. WTF is he doing playing through a concussion? Doesn't anybody read the papers? Understand long term implications? I don't get it. Isn't this a violation of league policy?

Maybe no one reads the papers anymore but the internet, news, blogs, tv.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Not a fan of Boll, but he did start the trend of training over the summer:

Voracek when to train with Commodore and was seen as a slacker who didn't want to work, overweight, ate poorly, while Boll and the summer crew were the poster children of the new Jacket work ethic. Any borderline player knew that training over the summer was a requirement.

The mentally has been that the Jackets had a lack of conditioning, they were lazy over the summer and didn't do enough off-season training. All the slackers were traded and now we have heart & soul guys who are willing to spend countless hours in the gym building their legs and core and in the process tearing their groin tendons from their attachments. I suppose that's a real sacrifice for the team, but in the future I hope that doesn't continue.

Here's a part of the problem. Both the current and the previous GM are former NHL players who worked out in the arena with the players who were on the roster at the time.

One didn't have a team full of guys that had lower abdominal and groin injuries. The other one does. The former never had abdominal and groin injuries, the latter one had several during his playing career.

What we're seeing is a non-random cluster of the same type of injuries that have all come in the last two calendar years. Why has this only started at that point? I'm not saying there's a link, but the timeframe is strange.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
So other teams don't have players that work out over the summer? I would have to know more about the routines. Body builders utilize high reps and isolation workouts. I can't imagine most NHL players would work out 'like a bodybuilder' as that would give them no competitive advantage.

I would like to see a comparison of how what other teams do over the summer. But other teams certainly don't have the issues with groin tears.

Look at the hype of Johansen adding 15+ pounds of muscle over the summer a few years ago. Imagine what Milano or Bjorkstand could be thinking if they could do the same and make the Jackets next fall. My guess is they aren't just wanting to be stronger, they want to add lots of muscle, which is training more like a body builder than an athlete.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Here's a part of the problem. Both the current and the previous GM are former NHL players who worked out in the arena with the players who were on the roster at the time.

One didn't have a team full of guys that had lower abdominal and groin injuries. The other one does. The former never had abdominal and groin injuries, the latter one had several during his playing career.

What we're seeing is a non-random cluster of the same type of injuries that have all come in the last two calendar years. Why has this only started at that point? I'm not saying there's a link, but the timeframe is strange.

:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I would like to see a comparison of how what other teams do over the summer. But other teams certainly don't have the issues with groin tears.

Look at the hype of Johansen adding 15+ pounds of muscle over the summer a few years ago. Imagine what Milano or Bjorkstand could be thinking if they could do the same and make the Jackets next fall. My guess is they aren't just wanting to be stronger, they want to add lots of muscle, which is training more like a body builder than an athlete.

Interesting way of looking at it. Also, these are growing kids who might not have had access to premier fitness programs before. Once you are getting paid and have access to proper nutrition and a world class trainer, you can make great gains without over-training and not overloading any particular set of muscles causing imbalances.

Also would be interesting to see if not training over the summer contributes to injuries as being out of shape and having poor conditioning is taxing on the body as well.

Also, we have to think genetics. Jack Johnson, by all accounts, is a year-round trainer and hasn't had an abdominal injury or a core muscle injury that has kept him out for an extended period of time.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

So we have at least six players who have suffered exactly the same type of injury that has never been a problem with the team before, yet any attempt to pin down a possible root cause is supposed to be just waved away because of the time frame and who it is that's saying it?

Interesting.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I want to slap Matty in the face. Obviously not going to since, amongst other obvious reasons, concussion, but playing through said concussion is STUPID. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I want to slap Matty in the face. Obviously not going to since, amongst other obvious reasons, concussion, but playing through said concussion is STUPID. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

He was following his medical staff's diagnosis. Idiots didn't bother to test him until last night.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting way of looking at it. Also, these are growing kids who might not have had access to premier fitness programs before. Once you are getting paid and have access to proper nutrition and a world class trainer, you can make great gains without over-training and not overloading any particular set of muscles causing imbalances.

Some of these prospects actually have professional trainers for years. There's an off-ice training program in Ontario that still touts Stefan Legein as one of their success stories because they were able to move him up from being projected 4th or 5th round pick to being taken in the 2nd round because of how well he did at the Combine. He trained and trained for the draft and then just quit hockey from burnout. There are parents taking their 12-14 year olds to these types of places to help them make the CHL.

Some of the damage could be done over years as they were in massive growth spurts as teens and doing serious training. All of these young guys are trying to find an advantage and become bigger, stronger and faster. They likely get all sorts of different advice from trainers with different backgrounds, maybe watch YouTube videos or read online about training. All while their bodies are still growing.

Some young prospects, like Boll as a rookie, may be more mature and they have the right genetics to be able to do a lot of weight training. Others just need to mature into their bodies aren't going to be able to carry a lot of bulk. None of the prospects wants to be the small weak guy. They all want to think they can be the rookie who has a great off-season and makes the team, the borderline players all want to do whatever it takes to stay in the NHL and avoid the AHL. But if that is happening, are there any checks in place to prevent them from over training?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Well then I'll happily slap the medical staff.
This entire season has been the DEFINITION of a ****show. Actually hard to believe we even have 26 wins.

The only thing that would compensate for this season would be Mcdavid. Which probably isn't happening. :(

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
This entire season has been the DEFINITION of a ****show. Actually hard to believe we even have 26 wins.

The only thing that would compensate for this season would be Mcdavid. Which probably isn't happening. :(

Are you knew to the CBJ?
Probably?

No way this **** show of a club gets him. The fans have earned some goodwill, thats all for nothing though. We are gonna get Picarde or Brule again. Count it.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Some of these prospects actually have professional trainers for years. There's an off-ice training program in Ontario that still touts Stefan Legein as one of their success stories because they were able to move him up from being projected 4th or 5th round pick to being taken in the 2nd round because of how well he did at the Combine. He trained and trained for the draft and then just quit hockey from burnout. There are parents taking their 12-14 year olds to these types of places to help them make the CHL.

Some of the damage could be done over years as they were in massive growth spurts as teens and doing serious training. All of these young guys are trying to find an advantage and become bigger, stronger and faster. They likely get all sorts of different advice from trainers with different backgrounds, maybe watch YouTube videos or read online about training. All while their bodies are still growing.

Some young prospects, like Boll as a rookie, may be more mature and they have the right genetics to be able to do a lot of weight training. Others just need to mature into their bodies aren't going to be able to carry a lot of bulk. None of the prospects wants to be the small weak guy. They all want to think they can be the rookie who has a great off-season and makes the team, the borderline players all want to do whatever it takes to stay in the NHL and avoid the AHL. But if that is happening, are there any checks in place to prevent them from over training?

I find what you are saying very interesting and I won't disagree with any of it. I think this is a really deep issue and worth looking into. I've heard conflicting reports on whether working out when you are still in your early teens is detrimental to overall development.

I don't know that there are checks for over-training other than proper rest, nutrition, and time off. I believe most active athletes take a week or so off in between active training. Prolonged training can actually negatively affect the immune system. It's interesting stuff.

The NHL was always interesting to me because of the many different routes you have in getting there. Body development is key in hockey as there is a lot of contact. I like the way college football goes about it in requiring three years of college before you are NFL eligible.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 31s31 seconds ago
#CBJ place forward Matt Calvert (concussion) on injured reserve and recall forward Brian Gibbons from AHL Springfield.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
A sore neck is literally a symptom of a concussion. And they didn't bother to test him for at least a week.

Following my first two concussions last year I was in physical therapy for beck issues. But our crack medical staff probably told him he just slept wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad