Injury Report: Injury Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Im sure IHZ is pleased (even though he's not here anymore)

Skille isn't as much of a loss this year as he would have been last year. For whatever reason just couldn't get going this year. Has all the tools to be an offensive player, but just can't.

Edit: Maybe this is why Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 28s28 seconds ago

Told Skille injury was not caused by any one incident. Had been dealing with the issue for some time, had gotten progressively worse. #CBJ
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Another accomplishment for the medical staff.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Was a bit tongue-in-cheek considering what has come out in regards to the medical and S&C staffs.

So... What has come out? I must have missed it with all the brilliant insight that our injuries must be related to the S&C coach(es).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So... What has come out? I must have missed it with all the brilliant insight that our injuries must be related to the S&C coach(es).

Stralman said his health condition improved once he got to New York because of their team doctors.

Portzline said in a recent chat that there is some distrust growing between players and medical/S&C staff.

You can't really look at all of the abdominal injuries (a dozen in the last few years?) as coincidence anymore. Something is clearly off in their training as it relates to skating. Unless we just sign a bunch of guys with bad groins or whatever.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Stralman said his health condition improved once he got to New York because of their team doctors.

What would that have to do with the S&C staff? Is the medical staff even the same from when Stralman was here?

Portzline said in a recent chat that there is some distrust growing between players and medical/S&C staff.

Of course there is. If you were a player looking at all the injuries you would be paranoid too. We've had a cluster that popped up over the course of about a year and a half. They aren't medical experts and neither are we. It's human nature that distrust would start to build, justified or not.

This reminds me of a lot of other garbage that goes on in relation to health. For example stuff like "Eating fat causes you to become fat". You can eat zero fat and be insanely obese while someone eating a high fat diet can be skinny (and very healthy). Why? Fat is not toxic in the blood stream, glucose is. With a high amount of glucose you release insulin to remove the excess blood sugar. It is then stored in the liver as fat. Fat causes no insulin spike. These high glucose foods also tend to be inflammatory, which can lead to high blood pressure (among a host of other health issues). Meanwhile you're being told to reduce your salt content when it had nothing to do with having high blood pressure, it's that salt can aggravate your condition when you have high blood pressure.

Just because we've had an outbreak doesn't mean it's directly related to anything the staff is doing. Being from an operational background, I've had explain to people that these types of assumptions are very often wrong and that you should examine the situation to find root cause without prejudice. Too many wrong assumptions are made and you end up wasting your time. There is no science I've seen to any of "things that have come up".

Perhaps the medical staff in NY did find something that worked for Stralman - doesn't mean our medical staff was negligent. Those types of chronic illnesses can be very difficult to diagnose and treat.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Perhaps the medical staff in NY did find something that worked for Stralman - doesn't mean our medical staff was negligent. Those types of chronic illnesses can be very difficult to diagnose and treat.

"He had developed pulmonary lesions from the repeated bouts with bronchitis, and the thick layers of scarred tissue in his lungs essentially became pockets in which bacteria could hide.

Since then, he has taken a low-grade antibiotic three days a week to help his body fight the beast within.

“The Rangers had really good doctors, and I finally got control of my health,†Stralman said. “They found the cause of everything, and that’s probably the single-most-important thing that changed for me in my career."

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
You can't really look at all of the abdominal injuries (a dozen in the last few years?) as coincidence anymore. Something is clearly off in their training as it relates to skating. Unless we just sign a bunch of guys with bad groins or whatever.

Most of the training players do is with their own trainers in the offseason. I can get the distrust, particularly when the healthiest players seem to be the ones who didn't stick around Columbus. (I have nothing to back this up beyond who I remember stayed around and who didn't, but it seems that way). If there's a problem there, I hope the CBJ take care of it swiftly in the offseason.

"He had developed pulmonary lesions from the repeated bouts with bronchitis, and the thick layers of scarred tissue in his lungs essentially became pockets in which bacteria could hide.

Since then, he has taken a low-grade antibiotic three days a week to help his body fight the beast within.

“The Rangers had really good doctors, and I finally got control of my health,†Stralman said. “They found the cause of everything, and that’s probably the single-most-important thing that changed for me in my career."

The fact that he finally got control over his health is great, but it isn't necessarily due to any failure of the CBJ staff. In fact, it's quite possible that both staffs would have treated him the same given the initial symptoms. the NYR staff were able to pick up where the CBJ left off - I'm not sure that makes them 'better' in any way. I guess you can assume that, but from my personal experience health care, it's a pretty shaky assumption. Sometimes having a different set of eyes on a problem can lead to new ideas - but that still doesn't indicate any notion that the CBJ staff is somehow inadequate.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Dubi on the ice practicing. Calvert and Connauton missing.

Trying to find how to post tweets

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Dubi on the ice practicing. Calvert and Connauton missing.

Trying to find how to post tweets

I'm still not sure this makes sense to me, but here.

type "Tweet" (without quotes) in brackets, preceded by the standard / in the closing bracket. In between these tags, enter the tweet ID, which can be obtained by clicking on time link in a tweet. The ID is the number at the end of the new URL (just the long string of numbers).

So: ["tweet"]546310832573804544[/"tweet"]
without the quote marks

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks. But are you guys trying to confuse an old guy by one with a / and the other with a \

:laugh:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

I suspect the problem has to do with the time of team mentality of tough, rugged play along with outworking everyone.

Jared Boll changed everything when he made the Jackets as a rookie by staying the whole summer and training and outworking everyone. All the prospects followed the example. Every summer the prospects stay and train. Voracek got ripped on for not doing it, and look where he is now.

You have less skilled players who are trying to make up for that lack of skill by working out over the summer, building up their core and building their leg strength like body builders.

Then you have the team mentality stressing go out there and work your arse off every game, with players with very strong core muscles. Athletic trainers can work on building strength, but they don't know how that strength is going to impact the rest of the body. Microscopic tears compound and you could have issues with tore groin muscles and stress fractures of the back.

Playing through injuries is something else can might happen in that atmosphere, especially with all of the players injured. It's nothing the medical staff is doing, but a guy like Skille could see this as his big shot if he gets into the line-up with all the other guys out. Players want to win, they won't want to rest, and the style of play puts a huge amount of stress on their already injured bodies.

I doubt it will play better to the fans to hear that the players should back off the summer training. Prospects may not even listen, they may keep training as much as possible to increase their chances of making the team. But that's likely what needs to be done. Players are going to have to realize that over-training in the off season isn't going to make them an NHLer and the team has to stop rewarding players that put themselves at risk for injuries by over-training.

This isn't new. Things like Kristian Huselius and his torn torn pectoral muscle really put the team at a disadvantage while he was out like 6 months. Huselius had a small build, he was never going to overpower anyone. Why was he lifting so much he tore his peck?

Prospects with thin builds like Mike Reilly (hopefully), Sonny Milano, and Oliver Bjorkstrand will be starting their pro careers soon. These kids don't need to be pushed to work-out like body builders to make the NHL.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Not a fan of Boll, but he did start the trend of training over the summer:

Hitchcock was impressed even before training camp started. Boll moved to Columbus at his own expense shortly after the end of the Memorial Cup and spent the summer training alongside some other Blue Jackets players at the team's practice facility.

The veteran coach has rarely seen a junior player make that kind of decision and estimates that it accelerated Boll's development by the equivalent of a season.

"He came to training camp and had a huge advantage on everybody," said Hitchcock. "He had trained at a level that no graduating junior had trained at. It made a huge difference."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...making-a-name-for-himself-around-the-NHL.html

Voracek when to train with Commodore and was seen as a slacker who didn't want to work, overweight, ate poorly, while Boll and the summer crew were the poster children of the new Jacket work ethic. Any borderline player knew that training over the summer was a requirement.

The mentally has been that the Jackets had a lack of conditioning, they were lazy over the summer and didn't do enough off-season training. All the slackers were traded and now we have heart & soul guys who are willing to spend countless hours in the gym building their legs and core and in the process tearing their groin tendons from their attachments. I suppose that's a real sacrifice for the team, but in the future I hope that doesn't continue.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
So other teams don't have players that work out over the summer? I would have to know more about the routines. Body builders utilize high reps and isolation workouts. I can't imagine most NHL players would work out 'like a bodybuilder' as that would give them no competitive advantage.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 4m4 minutes ago

#CBJ Matt Calvert out indefinitely because of a concussion, coach Todd Richards said.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 4m4 minutes ago
Calvert’s concussion not initially sustained last night. Had been playing through it, Richards said. #CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad