Injury Report: Injury Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The unofficial record is 629, by the 03-04 LA Kings.
http://frozenroyalty.net/2011/07/06...ing-injury-filled-seasons-2001-02-to-2005-06/

I believe the 536 they had the year prior is currently #2 on the list. So we might be able to manage second place.

"In that disastrous season, 558 man-games were lost to injuries caused by contact, with another 48 lost to a player being hit by a puck. In addition, 15 man-games were lost due to muscle pulls and strains, four due to illness, and four more to unclassified injuries."

Ours would be completely skewed because of the abdominal injuries. And broken fingers/hands by pucks.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
The unofficial record is 629, by the 03-04 LA Kings.
http://frozenroyalty.net/2011/07/06...ing-injury-filled-seasons-2001-02-to-2005-06/

I believe the 536 they had the year prior is currently #2 on the list. So we might be able to manage second place.

LAK performance mirrored injuries.

Year Pts PO Mangame Lost
99-00 94 Yes Unknown
00-01 92 Yes Unknown
01-02 95 Yes 211
02-03 78 No 536
03-04 81 No 629

Playoff years look to be first round exits, but clearly the severity of injuries in the last 2 of those seasons made horrofic impact on a team that appeared to be on the come. Eerily similar to CBJ this year. Bad news is that it took LAK many more years following the strike year of 04-05 to recover playoff/contender status. Good news is - they did.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
"In that disastrous season, 558 man-games were lost to injuries caused by contact, with another 48 lost to a player being hit by a puck. In addition, 15 man-games were lost due to muscle pulls and strains, four due to illness, and four more to unclassified injuries."

Ours would be completely skewed because of the abdominal injuries. And broken fingers/hands by pucks.

Abdominal injuries can't be caused by contact? Only contact with our training staff!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
LAK performance mirrored injuries.

Year Pts PO Mangame Lost
99-00 94 Yes Unknown
00-01 92 Yes Unknown
01-02 95 Yes 211
02-03 78 No 536
03-04 81 No 629

Playoff years look to be first round exits, but clearly the severity of injuries in the last 2 of those seasons made horrofic impact on a team that appeared to be on the come. Eerily similar to CBJ this year. Bad news is that it took LAK many more years following the strike year of 04-05 to recover playoff/contender status. Good news is - they did.
I'd want to look and see whether or not it's possible that that was due to "building incorrectly" (read: not adjusting to the post-lockout game), but that's just a "please don't let that be our fate please please please" hope. :)

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
We took part in building of double crown of Kings.:( and these injuries, Detroit made playoff last year with Griffins' roster. I don't believe that this epidemy is stoping next season without serious playing style modification

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Not sure if pointing the fingers at the doctors is correct as they are the after care.

What about the players work out regimen and nutritionists? How many have personal nutritionists? Maybe their nutrition doesn't allow for the muscles to be more elastic?

Maybe these athletes are over trained too where as the muscles have built up so much that anything slightly out of the norm creates a huge issue? Maybe over the summer take a lot more time off between work outs. Let the body reset itself and then build back up shortly before training camp.

just somethings to think about.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Not sure if pointing the fingers at the doctors is correct as they are the after care.

What about the players work out regimen and nutritionists? How many have personal nutritionists? Maybe their nutrition doesn't allow for the muscles to be more elastic?

Maybe these athletes are over trained too where as the muscles have built up so much that anything slightly out of the norm creates a huge issue? Maybe over the summer take a lot more time off between work outs. Let the body reset itself and then build back up shortly before training camp.

The very short version is that in the last five years, there's been a huge spike in the number of athletes across all sports suffering abdominal, groin, and hip injuries. All signs seem to point to a common culprit: muscular imbalance within "the core".

Basically, overworking some abdominal muscles through isolated exercises, which allows them to create excessive force against its much weaker antagonist.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I've always considered nutrition to be more of a capacity issue as opposed something that would subject you to more of a injury risk. I suppose you would be more subject to injury the more fatigued you are, but I don't consider it a much greater risk.

Just an observation, but I think Savard is in the greatest need of better nutrition. Just some things I've noticed. I can't say it for sure, but I've really been into nutrition for quite a while and I see some signs of potential problems.

I do a lot of Crossfit and I can say that nutrition changes help me mostly with recovery and the diet for better (at least the more traditional and easier path) recovery isn't the best for your overall health.

As far as the abdominal issues, I highly doubt they are doing enough isolation during the season to create an issue. That would be, IMO, more of an off season issue. I think it's way overblown. Every trainer knows that you have to rest muscle groups; that's not a mistake that professionals are going to make. If players are running into overwork issues, I would bet it's more of a player issue not listening or pushing themselves beyond what they should be.

Pretty much all weight lifting involves engaging the core. You really don't even have to "isolate" the core.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The very short version is that in the last five years, there's been a huge spike in the number of athletes across all sports suffering abdominal, groin, and hip injuries. All signs seem to point to a common culprit: muscular imbalance within "the core".

Basically, overworking some abdominal muscles through isolated exercises, which allows them to create excessive force against its much weaker antagonist.

not sure I buy the isolated core issue, but I'm not a doctor. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express two weeks ago and that combined with my freestyle kayaking (which is HUGE stress on your core) suggests that not all core isolation causes this.

Now, if they prove that bulk lifting dead lifts causes it... that's something else. But the crossfitters of the old may disagree with that (see Blah's post or my wife who was deadlifting 285 at 9 months pregnant).

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I've always considered nutrition to be more of a capacity issue as opposed something that would subject you to more of a injury risk. I suppose you would be more subject to injury the more fatigued you are, but I don't consider it a much greater risk.

Just an observation, but I think Savard is in the greatest need of better nutrition. Just some things I've noticed. I can't say it for sure, but I've really been into nutrition for quite a while and I see some signs of potential problems.

I do a lot of Crossfit and I can say that nutrition changes help me mostly with recovery and the diet for better (at least the more traditional and easier path) recovery isn't the best for your overall health.

As far as the abdominal issues, I highly doubt they are doing enough isolation during the season to create an issue. That would be, IMO, more of an off season issue. I think it's way overblown. Every trainer knows that you have to rest muscle groups; that's not a mistake that professionals are going to make. If players are running into overwork issues, I would bet it's more of a player issue not listening or pushing themselves beyond what they should be.

Pretty much all weight lifting involves engaging the core. You really don't even have to "isolate" the core.

What...?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

I am not sure many on this team would be isolating the core muscles in working out. The very act of skating would involve all the core muscles simultaneously as well as movements like the deadlift and the squat.

Who knows what it really is, exercise science is still evolving. It is worth looking into.

BJfan

Sep 20, 2008
section 209
Working in a restaurant I have seen what these guys eat before a game and there are few I have seen that are very health conscious. Nash used to eat the same thing before just about every game. He did a piece one year for the dispatch detailing his pre game meals, whole grain pasta, etc. It was total fiction

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Working in a restaurant I have seen what these guys eat before a game and there are few I have seen that are very health conscious. Nash used to eat the same thing before just about every game. He did a piece one year for the dispatch detailing his pre game meals, whole grain pasta, etc. It was total fiction

I sure hope so; that stuff is epic garbage. Eliminating pasta and whole grains (along with sugar and processed foods) would go a long way in improving health and reducing obesity. Dietary science is slowly coming to the realization that there are better, and healthier, methods for athletes than carb loading.

BJfan

Sep 20, 2008
section 209
I sure hope so; that stuff is epic garbage. Eliminating pasta and whole grains (along with sugar and processed foods) would go a long way in improving health and reducing obesity. Dietary science is slowly coming to the realization that there are better, and healthier, methods for athletes than carb loading.

Most of them add extra protein (usually chicken) to their meals. Nash just had a ritual pre game meal, same soup, same pasta for at least 5 seasons

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Most of them add extra protein (usually chicken) to their meals. Nash just had a ritual pre game meal, same soup, same pasta for at least 5 seasons

It's trash. Horrible for your long term health. The addition of protein does help with the insulin response, but it's still trash.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
"I have completely unfounded thoughts on someone's nutrition. I'm not telling why, though."

I said in my previous post I couldn't be sure, so don't be a jerk. Having said that, I mentioned one observation in the past - go look for it.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca