Injury Report: Injury Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I sure hope so; that stuff is epic garbage. Eliminating pasta and whole grains (along with sugar and processed foods) would go a long way in improving health and reducing obesity. Dietary science is slowly coming to the realization that there are better, and healthier, methods for athletes than carb loading.

Actually, it is probably best if you don't expound upon your views on nutrition anymore.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Actually, it is probably best if you don't expound upon your views on nutrition anymore.

Yeah, shut up blahblah, we wouldn't want the players recovering faster, or burning fat instead of a limited glycogen supply for energy so that they have more endurance in the 3rd period.

That would hurt the tank.

Yeah I'm a sample size of 1 and just a Beer Leaguer, but it made a huge difference in my on ice performance when I cut out the beer, grains, pastas, sugars, and refined carbs. I had a lot more jump throughout all 3 periods, even in games where we had only 8 guys on the bench.

When Christmas rolled around, I went back to "traditional" eating and my game suffered greatly. It's been hard to turn around even though I know how much better it would be simply because most package foods are designed to be addicting. That and with the birth of our son, I've been eating whatever food people brought to be helpful. And most people have been conditioned by the food pyramid to think a big plate of whole wheat pasta with chicken is "healthy."

But I've been making the change again to a No Sugars No Grains lifestyle because I want to be more productive and help our team win, we're trying to earn a berth in a tournament in Toronto in April.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Yeah, shut up blahblah, we wouldn't want the players recovering faster, or burning fat instead of a limited glycogen supply for energy so that they have more endurance in the 3rd period.

Yeah I'm a sample size of 1 and just a Beer Leaguer, but it made a huge difference in my on ice performance when I cut out the beer, grains, pastas, sugars, and refined carbs. I had a lot more jump throughout all 3 periods, even in games where we had only 8 guys on the bench.

When Christmas rolled around, I went back to "traditional" eating and my game suffered greatly. It's been hard to turn around even though I know how much better it would be simply because most package foods are designed to be addicting. That and with the birth of our son, I've been eating whatever food people brought to be helpful. And most people have been conditioned by the food pyramid to think a big plate of whole wheat pasta with chicken is "healthy."

But I've been making the change again to a No Sugars No Grains lifestyle because I want to be more productive and help our team win, we're trying to earn a berth in a tournament in Toronto in April.

One question: do you believe in Leaky Gut Syndrome?

Do you believe in moderation? It's possible to still have a healthy diet while occasionally eating unhealthy foods. You want a cupcake once a week or so? What's so wrong with that? The all or nothing mentality is mind boggling to me.

Strict adherence to a diet like what you described is hard. You wouldn't be the first person to go back to 'traditional' eating.

I'm also still waiting to hear what we can gather from David Savard and his 20+ minutes of ice time say about his nutrition.

Last edited:

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
One question: do you believe in Leaky Gut Syndrome?

No

I believe in things I can quantify, like how much better I felt when I was eating NSNG.

Do you believe in moderation? It's possible to still have a healthy diet while occasionally eating unhealthy foods. You want a cupcake once a week or so? What's so wrong with that? The all or nothing mentality is mind boggling to me.

Is it possible, yes, but it takes a hell of a lot more willpower to eat in moderation than to just cut that junk out, that's for sure. "Once you pop, you can't stop." "Nobody can eat just one" aren't just marketing slogans, they're the way manufactured foods are designed to be. Before moving on to cancer research, my college roommate worked for a number of years as a food scientist at Frito Lay. It was his job to make those foods addicting.

The thing is when you're eating cleanly, you don't have the cravings for those foods. You don't want them, and when you do eat them "To give yourself a treat" you feel like crap afterwards.

Strict adherence to a diet like what you described is hard. You wouldn't be the first person to go back to 'traditional' eating.
It really isn't hard to follow once you get in the groove like I mentioned. My life just got in the way. Pregnancy complications put my wife on bed rest for month before delivery, so everyone began bringing food to help out. I felt like I would be a jerk turning it away because it wasn't what we were eating. So I had my parents who are vegans making "healthy" high carb quiona dishes, and my mother-in-law ordering pizzas. Now after the birth, and a chance to recover for about a month, we're clearing things out again, and getting back to where we were.

I'm also still waiting to hear what we can gather from David Savard and his 20+ minutes of ice time say about his nutrition.

I hear there's some basketball player in Cleveland who cut out the sugars and grains and is playing 40+ minutes a game...

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

Sorry for jumping off topic momentarily, but which HNA team do you play for? My team just finished up the practices with Jock and about to start playing games.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...Is it possible, yes, but it takes a hell of a lot more willpower to eat in moderation than to just cut that junk out, that's for sure ...

I'll second that. My wife and I went on a "no carb" diet for ten weeks, eliminating all pasta, rice, bread, and dairy, with only limited fruits. Protein was portioned, but almost unlimited vegetables were allowed. As an Italian with a passion for Asian food, doing without pasta, rice, cheese, and pizza was difficult, but doing it that way was the only way I've ever been able to lose weight, more than thirty pounds in ten weeks. We've since reintroduced almost all of those things, but with much greater awareness of how they impact us. In the six months since, I've regained about five of the lost pounds, but am still healthier and happier. Should I see any additional gain, I'll return to the strict diet until I get back to my goal.

One difference, though, I take no moral position and consider none of that food to be "junk." I just now realize how greatly different foods effect me, personally, and hope to be better able to control or minimize my intake of things that are of lesser benefit to me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just an observation, but I think Savard is in the greatest need of better nutrition. Just some things I've noticed. I can't say it for sure, but I've really been into nutrition for quite a while and I see some signs of potential problems.

This was widely recognized about Savard a few years back, and he's made vast improvements since then. I wonder how much further he can grow when it comes to nutrition and exercise, because Savard is already strikingly stronger and somewhat quicker than he was back then.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
No

I believe in things I can quantify, like how much better I felt when I was eating NSNG.

Is it possible, yes, but it takes a hell of a lot more willpower to eat in moderation than to just cut that junk out, that's for sure. "Once you pop, you can't stop." "Nobody can eat just one" aren't just marketing slogans, they're the way manufactured foods are designed to be. Before moving on to cancer research, my college roommate worked for a number of years as a food scientist at Frito Lay. It was his job to make those foods addicting.

The thing is when you're eating cleanly, you don't have the cravings for those foods. You don't want them, and when you do eat them "To give yourself a treat" you feel like crap afterwards.

It really isn't hard to follow once you get in the groove like I mentioned. My life just got in the way. Pregnancy complications put my wife on bed rest for month before delivery, so everyone began bringing food to help out. I felt like I would be a jerk turning it away because it wasn't what we were eating. So I had my parents who are vegans making "healthy" high carb quiona dishes, and my mother-in-law ordering pizzas. Now after the birth, and a chance to recover for about a month, we're clearing things out again, and getting back to where we were.

I hear there's some basketball player in Cleveland who cut out the sugars and grains and is playing 40+ minutes a game...

1. Phew, was worried there for a second

2. True. But Frito Lay products aren't whole grains like whole wheat bread and brown rice. I assume you are talking about snack foods that are fried in oil and eaten endlessly on the couch. Nuts and vegetables are much better snacks.

3. It's entirely possible to eat in moderation. Just the same way it's entirely possible to drink alcohol in moderation. As pete said in the post above, they reintroduced all those items into their diets but now they have a better understanding of when/how much to eat them.

4. He has since started eating grains again. He cut them out over the summer to lose all that weight. He admitted himself he had no energy when he cut those out. Also, he ate a lot of fruit in his diet at that time. Fruit is loaded with sugar. Your issue is with added sugar products and desserts, not sugar itself. High fructose corn syrup is in almost everything it seems like.

Hell, I just ate two ounces of peanuts. There is sugar in peanuts, fruits, and even vegetables. The thing is they also include fiber. I would agree with you in saying that added sugar is really bad but lack of fiber is also bad as it is very satiating and filling. Fiber helps the body to slow the breakdown of the sugar as to not spike the blood sugar (something to this effect). Protein is also very filling.

I'm not disagreeing with what you have said, I just think sometimes it comes off as being a little fanatical is all. I encourage everyone to have a good diet, but if someone wants fast food or junk food once a month, it will not kill them.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
but if someone wants fast food or junk food once a month, it will not kill them.

giphy.gif

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Your issue is with added sugar products and desserts, not sugar itself. High fructose corn syrup is in almost everything it seems like.

This, this, and this again. Without getting too political, the fact that the government still subsidizes corn is atrocious and in my opinion contributes as much to obesity & diabetes as anything else. There is basically no nutritional value from HFCS, yet because it's so cheap (thanks, subsidies) it's used in everything.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Sorry for jumping off topic momentarily, but which HNA team do you play for? My team just finished up the practices with Jock and about to start playing games.

Jock is awesome. Not often you can be a beginner and get the opportunity to be coached by a guy with his name on the Stanley Cup.

I'm on the Bombers, we were in your position 5 or 6 years ago, it's all starting to blend together.

You've got a fun, but long road ahead of you. The beauty of the way HNA does it, by having a beginner class is that you all start out together and can definitely bond. We still have roughly 60% of the original guys and gals that started with us at that beginner class. It's cool to remember when so and so used to fall on his crossovers, and is now scoring at nearly a point a game.

The downside to that way of doing it though is that you're all beginners, playing together against teams that have been playing together for years. It took us a year and a half to get our first win, and we only got that because the other team was so confident they would beat us that they showed up to the rink drunk. The first year, we considered it a "win" if we lost by less than 10 goals. The second year it was 3 or 4 goals, and the third we actually started winning games on a consistent basis.

I've gotten way to far off topic on this, but feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Division 5 is a bit of a mess right now. It should really be split with your team, the Titans, and the Angry Beavers making up a smaller group to get your feet wet, and the Blast, Ice Barons, Shoreman, Crusaders and us making our own group. The problem is 4B is still markedly better than us, and when they put us there last season, we failed to win a game.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

I find this sad. :D

Beerleague and beer go hand in hand.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
This, this, and this again. Without getting too political, the fact that the government still subsidizes corn is atrocious and in my opinion contributes as much to obesity & diabetes as anything else. There is basically no nutritional value from HFCS, yet because it's so cheap (thanks, subsidies) it's used in everything.

Yep. Go to the grocery store and look around at labels on everyday items. Added sugar is a killer. And to think this all happened because we said fats were bad for you! People opted for "fat free" items but didn't realize they were consuming items that were loaded with sugar instead and said to be healthier.

Injury update: sounds like there were hurt feelings today. Prout and Bobrovsky are day to day

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yep. Go to the grocery store and look around at labels on everyday items. Added sugar is a killer. And to think this all happened because we said fats were bad for you! People opted for "fat free" items but didn't realize they were consuming items that were loaded with sugar instead and said to be healthier.

Look at the countries that don't use HFCS (or barely use it) as an additive. Then look at their obesity rates. It's not a coincidence.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
They should've kicked him out for violating the spirit of the league.

Not a problem Now if it was this kind of a league then maybe:

Spirits are one of the main ingredients in mixed drinks, along with other alcoholic beverages, mixers and garnishes. They are prepared by distillation from a fermented substance such as fruit, vegetables, grain, sugar cane, cactus juice, etc. :laugh:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

Injury update: sounds like there were hurt feelings today. Prout and Bobrovsky are day to day

Is it really " keeping it in the room", if you leak it to the beat reporter who then tweets it?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Thread closed, thank god.

Let's not do a part 2 of this. Notable injuries deserve their own thread while the minor ones can go in the GDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad