Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
I know we have **** loads of depth d-man but Douglas Murray is now a healthy scratch for San Jose. I love him.

Feels like every team is scratching D-men for fun. Then again these guys are just being scratched because they haven't gotten into the NHL tempo yet.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Feels like every team is scratching D-men for fun. Then again these guys are just being scratched because they haven't gotten into the NHL tempo yet.

Murray could go though. Pending UFA and Sharks have Boyle, Stuart, Burns and Vlasic in their top 4.

Demers, Braun, Irwin all good options for the final two spots.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
I know we'd probably be disappointed with the return if we do trade O'Reilly, but I'd like:

O'Reilly + Wilson + Barrie/Elliot for:

Little + Bogosian/Enstrom
OR
Weiss + Kulikov

If we know anything about the Avs since Greg took over...they covet assets and don't move more the other way than they receive. It's either a 1 for 1 situation or something where we see more coming our way. I would not mind the Jets trade as Little could slot in at wing and Bogo would be a nice upgrade. I just can't see trading Wilson though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
So far I like the Perron proposal, I like the one that was going before the homer Rags fans came in (Staal, Skjei and Boyle for ROR, Wilson, SOB, Kobasew) and I'm curious about the Dallas guy that said Goligoski for Barrie+.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So far I like the Perron proposal, I like the one that was going before the homer Rags fans came in (Staal, Skjei and Boyle for ROR, Wilson, SOB, Kobasew) and I'm curious about the Dallas guy that said Goligoski for Barrie+.

Awful.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I might be one of the few who prefer MDZ over Staal at this point, but that's mainly due to my fear that as soon as Staal hits UFA, he's gone to play with his brothers, so we'd only get a little over 2 seasons of him on the team.

Ottawa is really struggling to produce without Spezza, so I wouldn't be surprised if they came in on O'Reilly. Maybe something around a Zibenajad and Wiercioch package, although I think the Avs would/should ask for Cowen, even though he's hurt. It's a very unproven package, but there's talent there.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Goligoski makes $4.6M/year and there is every chance Barrie will be able to provide similar levels of offense, if he ever gets the chance here.

Depending on the plus, I like Gogo's shot better and he is a lefty.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Plays for Tampa and if you go into the waiver forum apparently all the Tampa fans dislike the move. I guess he's fast and great pk.

Would he really be any better then any of our AHL guys?

He has another year on his contract. I don't know if the Avs would have the room for him with a healthy roster.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver

He has another year on his contract. I don't know if the Avs would have the room for him with a healthy roster.

Might be more proven than most of our ahl guys, I don't really know. Just reading through the thread and people seem to think it's a terrible idea that he was put on waivers.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah Staal is my favorite behind Yandle, Our top pairing wouldn't produce an insane amount offensively but they would produce. (More like 30-35 points each instead of 40-45) We would need more offense on the second pair, but Staal & EJ would be a brick wall of pain.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

I'd grab him to send a message to O'Reilly. :)
Plus we could use a good PK guy and our AHL guys are meh.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'd grab him to send a message to O'Reilly. :)
Plus we could use a good PK guy and our AHL guys are meh.

Yes, picking up Dana Tyrell on waivers clearly gives the Avalanche an advantage in the O'Reilly negotiations.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yes, picking up Dana Tyrell on waivers clearly gives the Avalanche an advantage in the O'Reilly negotiations.

Not to sound bitter or anything (ok it probably will ;)) but what negotiations?

If I go by the recent reports it basically comes to ROR sitting out the season and than getting traded for whatever we can get for him at or before the draft.
Avs are probably not moving from the 2yr x 3.5 M (do you know RORs injury status by the way?) and ROR just wants out and away from this organisation....

I could maybe see him signing a contract under the premise that he is getting dealt in the near future but that would not make any sense for the Avs because they could conceivably get more value if the acquiring team can negotiate a contract on their own...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
With the way the Avs are playing now that pick most likely is close to top five. If that's the case there is almost no way they don't get an impact player out of the draft. It would be crazy to trade that pick.

Players like Barkov, Mackinnon, Jones and Possibly Drouin and Lindholm could all step in and make impacts next year. Why trade what is likely two core players for a short term fix.

I seriously doubt any of those guys slip out of the top 5. Maybe Drouin if teams are worried about his size. It's possible, but highly touted forwards don't usually slip unless teams saw something worrisome about them.

When did Rick Pracey become our draft guru? Duchene, Landeskog are looking good to me. Hishon is not a bust, he sustained a bad injury from which he may not recover. Siemens is progressing as a defenseman should. I like our recent track record in the first round, and overall as well. Oh, and we used one pick as part of the deal for Varly, which I am quite happy with, guy just needs a decent defense in front of him.

I was referring to the prospects taken outside the top five. I should have specified that again in that sentence.

I'm not saying Hishon is a bust. I'm just saying the results aren't really there to value a 1st, as much as some of you guys are, rather than using it to convince a team to give up a defenseman like Yandle. Especially if we're talking outside the top 10.

Yandle is very likely going to be a better player than anyone you draft outside the 5, and possibly better than Jones who is likely a top 2 pick.

Avs aren't trading their first round pick this year. Don't be silly.

I'd be surprised to see many first rounders traded without protection clauses. The new lottery rules completely changed the value of first rounders.

That's why I proposed protecting it for the top 5. Would your reluctance wain a bit if it was top 10 protected? I really could care less about losing pick after that. The need for a top pairing defenseman greatly outweighs the need for another 18 year old prospect who'll likely be a few years off if he makes it.

How likely is it that we'll be in another position to trade for a top pairing defenseman any time soon? And what kind of pieces do we have to even think about making that happen, unless we're talking Duchene or Landeskog. I don't think we can hold our breath for a UFA like that any time soon either.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

It will show him that we are prepared to move along with out him and ironically for another 2 years.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
That's why I proposed protecting it for the top 5. Would your reluctance wain a bit if it was top 10 protected? I really could care less about losing pick after that.

How likely is it that we'll be in another position to trade for a top pairing defenseman any time soon? And what kind of pieces do we have to even think about making that happen, unless we're talking Duchene or Landeskog. I don't think we can hold our breath for a UFA like that any time soon either.

O'Reilly + 1st for Yandle won't happen for a lot of reasons.

First, Yandle isn't a guy you build around. He's from Boston and always talks about how he loves Boston. Watch him sign with them once his contract expires. He's a guy you bring in when the team in ready and go for the cup with. Avs window won't be open for a while yet.

Secondly, Avs aren't trading their first, having traded their first last year. You can't have huge gaps when it comes to getting young talent.

Third, there is no way Phoenix will pay O'Reilly what he wants. They are a big time budget team and can't have a 21-22 year old guy break the bank. It would go against pretty much everything Maloney has done there.

I don't see how it's interesting even as a hypothetical because it's so unrealistic.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It will show him that we are prepared to move along with out him and ironically for another 2 years.

It wouldn't show him anything. Picking up a fourth line scrub who wouldn't crack most rosters doesn't effect O'Reilly or his contract negotiation.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have issues with a few things in this reasoning.

O'Reilly + 1st for Yandle won't happen for a lot of reasons.

First, Yandle isn't a guy you build around. He's from Boston and always talks about how he loves Boston. Watch him sign with them once his contract expires.

This shouldn't be a big concern. It's four years away. If he's so dead set on going to Boston, how come all he says is that he wants to spend his whole career in Phoenix, and doesn't want to leave? Because he likes the team. He's got four years to love being in Colorado with the Avs, which has as good a shot at winning him over as a place like Phoenix did.

You can't be worried about players going back home, otherwise you'd eliminate pretty much any Canadian player. Especially when the one we're talking about is under contract for four years.

He's a guy you bring in when the team in ready and go for the cup with. Avs window won't be open for a while yet.

Why is that the only time you can bring in a top pairing defenseman? Especially one that's 26 and enterring his prime? And how are they ever going to get to be a cup contender with just EJ? Hell, how are they ever gonna make the playoffs? It's such a glaring need right now.

Secondly, Avs aren't trading their first, having traded their first last year. You can't have huge gaps when it comes to getting young talent.

It depends on the kind of talent we're talking about, and what kind of players are on the team. Outside the top ten isn't can't miss talent, and the Avs have a solid core of youngsters as it is. Plus they would then have a top pairing defenseman they didn't have before. One they would be very unlikely to find in the 1st any time soon, and one that has already been developed, and by a team that knows how to develop a defenseman.

Third, there is no way Phoenix will pay O'Reilly what he wants. They are a big time budget team and can't have a 21-22 year old guy break the bank. It would go against pretty much everything Maloney has done there.

They would be saving money. He'll make less than Yandle, and pretty much everyone on Phoenix's board agrees that with their D core, if they are going to spend the little money they have, it needs to be at center.

Plus, since O'Reilly was apparently close in the summer with the Avs before he got upset, it's highly likely his demands will decrease if he is traded to a team that is showing they value him.

I don't see how it's interesting even as a hypothetical because it's so unrealistic.

It's not that unrealistic, you just don't want it to happen. Lets be fair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad