Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I guess we'll just have to wait and see who has Yandle and who has Avs first rounder come July.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
We are not trading oue 1st! Period!

If we do I will personally fly over the ocean and kick Sherman s butt.

ROR and a top5 pick for Yandle?

Lol. Can we add Duchene pls?

Ugh
We are not in a position for a quick fix. Especially not when we are in penny pinching mode. We will hopefully (Playoffs are already almost out of reach and what is the point of a 10th place finish?) draft top4 this year, get a new coach who realistically will not be worse than Sacco but probably not much better (Quinn) and will hope that we will catch lightning in a bottle next year.

If you look at this mess of a defense and the lack of goalscoring, we probably need two more impact (like Top8) picks to finish this rebuild. We certainly are not going to speed it up with Top Tier FAs.

And trading a 1st in our position is Leaf like. That is what Burke did and if Sherman does it again (hated it last year but he lucked out there), he needs to get canned as well.

We are not contending this year and probably not even next year. Yandle will be damned close to UFA and we can't afford to give up big time value for non-contending years...

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Hypothetically because I know its never gonna happen , would you guys be opposed to bringing JML back, if it only cost us a 3rd rounder? Just watching the leafs game, and maybe im just getting nostalgic, but that trade still doesnt sit right with me. I think he could've helped transition barrie or elliott to the next level, and been a really solid vet d presence, that i dont think we have had since foote left. Or maybe im just buyist because he was my favorite avs d man in recent time /babbling

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I guess we'll just have to wait and see who has Yandle and who has Avs first rounder come July.

Haha, well that wouldn't have anything to do with the realistic factor. That would just mean it didn't happen.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Haha, well that wouldn't have anything to do with the realistic factor. That would just mean it didn't happen.

It's not realistic. You're just so into the idea of Avs trading for a #1 defender that you are completely ignoring all the reasons why it won't happen. You have convinced yourself that O'Reilly might take a lower salary to pay for Phoenix. Surely you realize how unrealistic that is?

Avs like to trade for players that have a lower value, are controlled for quite some time (young RFAs) and that might be able to assume a bigger role for Avs than they had on their previous team.

Avs are much more likely to go after someone like Y. Weber, McBain, Savard and so on than they are likely to go after an expensive player like Yandle. Avs love young semi-reclamation projects.

Hypothetically because I know its never gonna happen , would you guys be opposed to bringing JML back, if it only cost us a 3rd rounder? Just watching the leafs game, and maybe im just getting nostalgic, but that trade still doesnt sit right with me. I think he could've helped transition barrie or elliott to the next level, and been a really solid vet d presence, that i dont think we have had since foote left. Or maybe im just buyist because he was my favorite avs d man in recent time /babbling

JML looks a bit hesitant to go into the corners after his concussion. Besides that he's playing pretty well. He would help us in transition and on the PP, for sure.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Would love to have JML back, he should've never been traded IMO.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

A 32 year old, 5'10" defenseman with a $4m+ salary... that has already been part of the struggling/rebuild here.

Yeah, no thanks. I understand the need for a PMD, but nostalgia doesn't justify bringing Liles back. Let's suck with young guys.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not realistic. You're just so into the idea of Avs trading for a #1 defender that you are completely ignoring all the reasons why it won't happen. You have convinced yourself that O'Reilly might take a lower salary to pay for Phoenix. Surely you realize how unrealistic that is?

Avs like to trade for players that have a lower value, are controlled for quite some time (young RFAs) and that might be able to assume a bigger role for Avs than they had on their previous team.

Avs are much more likely to go after someone like Y. Weber, McBain, Savard and so on than they are likely to go after an expensive player like Yandle. Avs love young semi-reclamation projects.

I haven't convinced myself of anything. I threw it out there as a possibility since the one thing that made him go from close to signing one of the Avs $3.5M per deals to where were at now, is the way the team treated him. Colorado was the team that did that not Phoenix or some other team. Of course I'm into the team trading for a #1 defender, how could you not see the need for that, and how do you expect to get one? You didn't really rebut any of the points I made.

Maybe you mean to be using another word than unrealistic, I don't know. Was it unrealistic that they would trade Shattenkirk and Stewart for EJ before that happened? Was it unrealistic they would trade an unprotected 1st for Varly? Sherman is capable of doing that trade, and Phoenix fans seem to think it makes sense for them. Whether he wants to, or whether it happens is different from it being unrealistic.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Under no circumstance should the Avs be dealing their first rounder this year. You can't have two straight years without a first round pick, especially when it looks like it could be a high pick this year.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
Not to mention that Liles was permanently in Sacco's doghouse because Sacco always wanted "a little bit more" out of Liles. I'm not sure the exact terms of Liles' NTC, but I'm sure he'd do whatever he could to not play under Sucko again.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
One way or the other I think the Avalanche will end up with Dmitri Kulikov this season. He fills a need, is from the same draft a number of Colorado's young players are from, is having a slow start to the season, and plays for a team doing a tail spin.

O'Reilly and Barrie across for Kulikov and Shore. I can see it. Tallon wouldn't hesitate to pay Radar and already has acquired numerous Avalanche players.

8475179.jpg

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Heaven help us, no.

Just because the Avs gave JML away doesn't mean they need to do the nostalgia thing yet again. Didn't we learn our lesson(s) with Foote and Forsberg?

If the Avs are that desperate for reasonable PP point play, then suck it up and put either Elliott or Barrie in the lineup and deal with it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I haven't convinced myself of anything. I threw it out there as a possibility since the one thing that made him go from close to signing one of the Avs $3.5M per deals to where were at now, is the way the team treated him. Colorado was the team that did that not Phoenix or some other team. Of course I'm into the team trading for a #1 defender, how could you not see the need for that, and how do you expect to get one? You didn't really rebut any of the points I made.

Maybe you mean to be using another word than unrealistic, I don't know. Was it unrealistic that they would trade Shattenkirk and Stewart for EJ before that happened? Was it unrealistic they would trade an unprotected 1st for Varly? Sherman is capable of doing that trade. Whether he wants to, or whether it happens is different from it being unrealistic.

I don't think Avs will trade for a #1 defender this season or the off-season. I think they'll go with what we have now and look for minor upgrades, if they make any changes. I hope that answers your question of how we're going to get one. I don't think we will.

As for our first rounder and if we'll trade it. Avs traded for Varly in the off-season. Trading a 1st rounder when a quarter of the season is done and Avs are in 28th is a completely different thing. It's just not happening. I don't know what to tell you to convince you it won't, so let's just agree to disagree. You are free to believe it's in play.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not to mention that Liles was permanently in Sacco's doghouse because Sacco always wanted "a little bit more" out of Liles. I'm not sure the exact terms of Liles' NTC, but I'm sure he'd do whatever he could to not play under Sucko again.

So I guess there is one good thing about Sacco being the coach here. It'll keep Liles away.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
One way or the other I think the Avalanche will end up with Dmitri Kulikov this season. He fills a need, is from the same draft a number of Colorado's young players are from, is having a slow start to the season, and plays for a team doing a tail spin.

O'Reilly and Barrie across for Kulikov and Shore. I can see it. Tallon wouldn't hesitate to pay Radar and already has acquired numerous Avalanche players.

8475179.jpg
I'd probably do it. I'm of the opinion that O'Reilly doesn't want to come back, so this team needs to bring in a young top 3 defenseman for him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So I guess there is one good thing about Sacco being the coach here. It'll keep Liles away.

Yeah, it's not like he would be better than 5 of the 6 defenders the avs are playing with now. :rant:

I'd probably do it. I'm of the opinion that O'Reilly doesn't want to come back, so this team needs to bring in a young top 3 defenseman for him.

Is also do it but wouldn't be happy more like content.

Out of curiosity shadow why do you think the avs will want Kulikov? Him being Russian and all, I think they'll go in a different direction. Yes, they traded for varly but I doubt they'll turn into Washington 2.0. Just my opinion, I would love to have Kulikov here tho.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Under no circumstance should the Avs be dealing their first rounder this year. You can't have two straight years without a first round pick, especially when it looks like it could be a high pick this year.

I'll pose the same question with you Mars, without sounding argumentative hopefully.

If it's top 5 or top 10 protected does that change your stance on giving up the 1st?

And why can't you trade a 1st, for an already developed 26 year old defenseman that you could only hope of finding in the 1st? Why is that 18 year old prospect more important than the established player that will address a huge need in building this team?

I don't think Avs will trade for a #1 defender this season or the off-season. I think they'll go with what we have now and look for minor upgrades, if they make any changes. I hope that answers your question of how we're going to get one. I don't think we will.

Fair enough.

As for our first rounder and if we'll trade it. Avs traded for Varly in the off-season. Trading a 1st rounder when a quarter of the season is done and Avs are in 28th is a completely different thing. It's just not happening. I don't know what to tell you to convince you it won't, so let's just agree to disagree. You are free to believe it's in play.

I think you're forgetting that I proposed it be top 5 protected, and then floated the idea to you of what if it was top 10 protected, would that change anything. Our position in the standings shouldn't play a role in that regard, and if anything, it means we're retaining our pick this year, and we don't have the successive years without a 1st you're worried about.

I simply don't value a #10-30 pick as much as you do, if it brings in a top pairing D. I think that's our main discord.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, it's not like he would be better than 5 of the 6 defenders the avs are playing with now. :rant:

Oh he would definitely be better than some of the guys playing right now but that doesn't mean the Avs should trade for him. If they want a PMD with questionable defense, just save the draft pick and money and put Barrie/Elliott in the line up.

member 116861

Oh he would definitely be better than some of the guys playing right now but that doesn't mean the Avs should trade for him. If they want a PMD with questionable defense, just save the draft pick and money and put Barrie/Elliott in the line up.

Barrie and Elliott aren't even close to being on Liles' level yet.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'll pose the same question with you Mars, without sounding argumentative hopefully.

If it's top 5 or top 10 protected does that change your stance on giving up the 1st?

And why can't you trade a 1st, for an already developed 26 year old defenseman that you could only hope of finding in the 1st? Why is that 18 year old prospect more important than the established player that will addres
It wouldn't change my stance. I don't think it's smart for teams to go two straight years without a first rounder, especially in a cap era. You need cheap young talent in the lineup every few years. The Avs have Landeskog and Siemens, but no first round pick last year and the first round pick from 2010 hasn't played in two years.

I love Yandle, but I wouldn't sell the farm for him. I know he's not old, but he's a few years older than the core of the team, so when they're finally ready to compete, is he going to still going to be around or in his prime? I don't think the gap between Yandle and O'Reilly is a first round pick, with or without Boyd Gordon, who is a 4th line player.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Yeah, I agree they shouldn't trade for him but it was a big big mistake trading him away. That's a fact.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

8475179.jpg
Being from South Florida I feel like i have a pretty good grasp on both teams situations. No way Florida does that deal. This coming from a guy who obviously bleeds burgundy and blue. Shore is looking like he could be a ROR for them. From what ive seen in limited viewings of his game so far this year he is offensivly dynamic, with surprising defense and extremely high hockey IQ. What would kill the deal is giving up Kulikov and Shore for O'Rielly and a prospect who has had trouble cracking a line up on a OFD barren team.
The value isn't that far off, but I think Tallon is pretty high on shore and kulikov. No way they'd ever go in a package deal unless some ridiculous overpayment for established players.

Only reason i thought Kuli could get moved for ROR was if they both weren't going to sign with their respective clubs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It wouldn't change my stance. I don't think it's smart for teams to go two straight years without a first rounder, especially in a cap era. You need cheap young talent in the lineup every few years. The Avs have Landeskog and Siemens, but no first round pick last year and the first round pick from 2010 hasn't played in two years.

I love Yandle, but I wouldn't sell the farm for him. I know he's not old, but he's a few years older than the core of the team, so when they're finally ready to compete, is he going to still going to be around or in his prime? I don't think the gap between Yandle and O'Reilly is a first round pick, with or without Boyd Gordon, who is a 4th line player.

I don't think the gap between them is necessarily a 1st, with Gordon coming back either. It's just something I wouldn't be concerned about doing, to make the Yotes willing to give him up. I do think Gordon could do exactly what McClement did too, and we all know how valuable that was to this team. They would obviously have to re-sign him though which is a fair question mark.

Also, I'd be more reluctant to part with a 1st if they didn't already have a young core with Duchene, Landy, EJ, and Varly, to go with McGinn and the other guys. They are in the stage where they have to build around those guys though, and another 18 year old prospect that may or may not become a legit NHLer isn't too high on my priority list for doing that. Again we're talking outside the top 5 or top 10.

The problem with waiting to bring in a guy like Yandle until you're successful, is this team is not going to be successful with just EJ and some other #4-6 type guys.

I'll make my point regarding my willingness to give up another 1st another way. What if we were to take Yandle's clone in the 1st outside the top 10? I don't think any of us would be upset with that. Is that really that much better than getting him now when he's already developed, even if he'll potentially be a UFA in four years, rather than potentially being a UFA in seven?

And that's under the premise that he will definitely leave, rather than re-sign which I don't think is a definite at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino