Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP
Avs keep D Tyson Barrie and F Patrick Bordeleau, send Sgarbossa and Elliott down and DVG waivers Thu

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Can you explain it? Thanks!

Two-way contracts just mean that they get paid different amounts for being in the NHL and the AHL/ECHL/CHL.

For example, if someone was on a two-way contract for say 500,000 and 70,000 than they would make 500,000 if they played the season in the NHL, but if they are in the AHL they would only make 70,000.

Waiver exemption is based on games played, after a certain amount of games played the player no longer is considered waiver exempt.

EurolancheDavid

Two-way contracts just mean that they get paid different amounts for being in the NHL and the AHL/ECHL/CHL.

For example, if someone was on a two-way contract for say 500,000 and 70,000 than they would make 500,000 if they played the season in the NHL, but if they are in the AHL they would only make 70,000.

Waiver exemption is based on games played, after a certain amount of games played the player no longer is considered waiver exempt.

Thanks again. I had no idea what is the exemption. :)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can you explain it? Thanks!

Two-way contracts only determine how much a player gets paid in the NHL vs. the minors. All it means in the event of a one-way contract is that you get paid the same amount regardless of what level you're playing. Your waiver eligibility status is determined by the number of games you've played in the NHL.

EDIT: That was a better explanation by SiC.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Phoenix acquires Lombardi, doubt that they would trade for ROR now.

Like I've been saying, I think it's ROR on the roster or Kulikov.

I simply can't imagine the Avs trading for another holdout that has the KHL factor in the background. The Avs' organization also seems somewhat averse to Russians I general.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Hmmm... Actually getting Lombardi allows them to trade Gordon if need be, in acquiring a young top 6 center. Still like the idea of O'Reilly + + for Yandle & Gordon. Obviously wouldn't happen until Gordon is cleared and healthy.

Agree with the guy above about Kulikov... Russian + KHL hold out is worse than Canadian + KHL hold out, and would scare Colorado more than other teams.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It didn't scare the Avs off Varly, and he was threatening to go there and stay. It is obvious that Kulikov is coming back, he hasn't played recently for Lokomotiv nor is he still on their roster. It doesn't hurt that his lockout teammate Varly is here either. If we traded for Kulikov, I don't have a doubt in my mind that he would be here.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007

Is Kulikov's contract a lockout contract or a bona fide contract? I haven't seen anything definitive other than "he remains at home."

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It didn't scare the Avs off Varly, and he was threatening to go there and stay. It is obvious that Kulikov is coming back, he hasn't played recently for Lokomotiv nor is he still on their roster. It doesn't hurt that his lockout teammate Varly is here either. If we traded for Kulikov, I don't have a doubt in my mind that he would be here.

I don't find it a particularly realistic scenario, it people want it to happen so they are trying to rationalize.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't find it a particularly realistic scenario, it people want it to happen so they are trying to rationalize.

No matter if the Avs trade for Kulikov or not, Kulikov will play in the NHL this season. The fears of him staying are completely overstated.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I really wish I had seen more of Kulikov's play... What's the biggest difference between him and Gardiner? People say Kulikov has a better chance of being a #1 than Gardiner does.

I'm finding it hard to get excited about him for O'Reilly but a lot of people seem to like the idea.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really wish I had seen more of Kulikov's play... What's the biggest difference between him and Gardiner? People say Kulikov has a better chance of being a #1 than Gardiner does.

I'm finding it hard to get excited about him for O'Reilly but a lot of people seem to like the idea.

They are two different sorts of players. Kulikov is an all around defensemen while Gardiner will be more of an offensive dynamo that might develop to being average defensively.

Kulikov is a fairly physical defensemen (104 hits in 58 games last season) and is a good shot blocker. He has a high hockey IQ, but being as young as he is he is still prone to mistakes and can get himself out of position at times. This will go away with experience. Offensively his is just solid all around. He will never really impress with his shot, speed, or passing, but he will be very solid in all 3 areas. He will probably max out 7-10g 30-35a playing 82 games. He is already a solid #3 (would be a 2 on the Avs) and should project into being a good #1. I see him at worst being a serviceable top pairing defender.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is Kulikov's contract a lockout contract or a bona fide contract? I haven't seen anything definitive other than "he remains at home."

Same as O'Reilly. Standard KHL contract with what I assume is a verbal agreement that the team will dissolve the contract when the player get a NHL deal.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They are two different sorts of players. Kulikov is an all around defensemen while Gardiner will be more of an offensive dynamo that might develop to being average defensively.

Kulikov is a fairly physical defensemen (104 hits in 58 games last season) and is a good shot blocker. He has a high hockey IQ, but being as young as he is he is still prone to mistakes and can get himself out of position at times. This will go away with experience. Offensively his is just solid all around. He will never really impress with his shot, speed, or passing, but he will be very solid in all 3 areas. He will probably max out 7-10g 30-35a playing 82 games.

Sounds like a solid potential #2 D to me... I wonder if having someone who is more responsible would allow EJ to open up his offense a bit more.

But it wouldn't be bad if both of them put up 35 points while being a bit better on the defensive side of the puck. Kulikov sounds like a young M. Staal.

I do think if we picked up a pure offensive player like Gardiner, Johnson would end up covering for him constantly, and end up more of a shutdown D.

(I do like the idea of O'Reilly going out East if he is traded as well.)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kuli and EJ would be a great pairing. Kulikov's a great skater, smart passer and has a generally high hockey IQ, but he's also very good positionally in his own zone and not a push over. Kinda like OEL before the breakout playoff campaign.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Same as O'Reilly. Standard KHL contract with what I assume is a verbal agreement that the team will dissolve the contract when the player get a NHL deal.

He has already been taken off Lokomotiv's roster. He is just not risking getting injured until a contract is in place.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kuli and EJ would be a great pairing. Kulikov's a great skater, smart passer and has a generally high hockey IQ, but he's also very good positionally in his own zone and not a push over. Kinda like OEL before the breakout playoff campaign.

Seems like most of the Florida fans I've seen respond to the trade don't have an issue with swapping O'Reilly for Kulikov either.

Can't say it would hurt Valamov's confidence to have another Russian on the team as well.

(Thx for the rundown posts btw)

Edit: Has anyone heard any rumors about Kulikov's contract demands? I would imagine something along the lines of EJ's contract would be fair.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, Kulikov is in a kinda EJ situation where his team has another excellent young dman who plays on the same side as him and is playing better right now, now Gudbranson is no Petro, and Kuli doesn't have the ceiling of EJ, but it's a similar situation that frees them up to make a move.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah, Kulikov is in a kinda EJ situation where his team has another excellent young dman who plays on the same side as him and is playing better right now, now Gudbranson is no Petro, and Kuli doesn't have the ceiling of EJ, but it's a similar situation that frees them up to make a move.

Gudbrandson plays the right side, Kulikov is a lefty. Kulikov has also gotten out of a KHL contract once already (when he initially got drafted). I'm not really worried about the Russian factor with Kulikov, and I think that the Avs may see the "Russian" factor as another opportunity to grab a very talented player, like they did when they grabbed Varlamov.

I'm in for a ROR for Kulikov deal because it makes sense for both teams, and because it gets ROR out of the conference. If the Avs end up dealing ROR, it better be to an Eastern team.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Kulikov isn't happening and an unsigned $5 million ROR has little value on the market. Hopefully ROR comes to his senses and Sherman budges a little to $4-4.25 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad