If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Report: Montreal Canadiens Make Offer for Pierre-Luc Dubois - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

apparently CBJ countered & asked for Suzuki, MTL was sad.

So their asking price is equivalent to a young projected 1C. Our 2021 1st unprotected + Ras + Cholo would be my final offer. If they wanted any bottom 6F, bottom 4D they could be included/substituted.
That would be nowhere close to getting the deal done , dubois is a big #1 two way c whos 22

if we had him with larkin down the middle we’d be set for a decade

Problem is we dont have a C to deal back minus maybe rasmussen but he wont be a top 6 and they likely want someone back who can play now , maybe a zadina?++

Dont think we’d have the pieces to make this deal happen

Rasmussen+berggren+mcisaac+ a 2nd? Again likely not enough , i do think bergevin will take advantage of the opportunity and make this deal happen at all costs minus suzucki

Kotkaniemi + caufield + guhle?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Bergeron and Krejci
Point and Cirelli

Those way better than 60 point Larkin and Johannsen.

Bergeron is 34 and Krejci is 35. Cirelli is nice, but he's clearly a step down from Larkin and Johannsen. The only single player I take over either of Larkin/Johanssen is Point.

Also, has to be pointed out that if you want to slam Larkin and johannsen for production, what's the average production of Bergeron and Krejci over their careers? They rate out at 65 and 61 points per 82 games, respectively.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That would be nowhere close to getting the deal done , dubois is a big #1 two way c whos 22

if we had him with larkin down the middle we’d be set for a decade

Problem is we dont have a C to deal back minus maybe rasmussen but he wont be a top 6 and they likely want someone back who can play now , maybe a zadina?++

Dont think we’d have the pieces to make this deal happen

Rasmussen+berggren+mcisaac+ a 2nd? Again likely not enough , i do think bergevin will take advantage of the opportunity and make this deal happen at all costs minus suzucki

Kotkaniemi + caufield + guhle?
Never said my offer would "get the deal done", only stating that would be my final offer + (bottom 6 F/D) if they wanted for depth.

Dubois to Montreal: What Would it Cost?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Bergeron is 34 and Krejci is 35. Cirelli is nice, but he's clearly a step down from Larkin and Johannsen. The only single player I take over either of Larkin/Johanssen is Point.

Also, has to be pointed out that if you want to slam Larkin and johannsen for production, what's the average production of Bergeron and Krejci over their careers? They rate out at 65 and 61 points per 82 games, respectively.

I love PL Dubois. I'm not exactly sure he's going to be an elite #1 center yet either.
His final points/60 last year, including PP, was 2.34. Larkin's was 2.11. But Larkin's was probably hurt by PK time.
At 5 on5
Larkin:1.79
Dubois: 2.01
And that was a down year for Larkin.
And, Larkin's been a good faceoff man. And Dubois has been pretty bad.

I think I probably would consider Detroit 1st + Ras... but I wouldn't go beyond that.
PLD won't make Detroit all that much better. We still have a gongshow defense. So that 1st round pick is a HUGE asset.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I love PL Dubois. I'm not exactly sure he's going to be an elite #1 center yet either.
His final points/60 last year, including PP, was 2.34. Larkin's was 2.11. But Larkin's was probably hurt by PK time.
At 5 on5

I think I probably would consider Detroit 1st + Ras... but I wouldn't go beyond that.
PLD won't make Detroit all that much better. We still have a gongshow defense. So that 1st round pick is a HUGE asset.

The one thing PLD does have is that he, like Larkin (despite last night), can be miserable to play against for opponents. He might never be an elite 1C, but if you feel that he can be at a similar level to Larkin in his prime, that’s a really good 1-2 punch.

He would absolutely make the team better if you are only giving up the pick and Rasmussen, like you are suggesting. He’s immediately top 3 on the roster, he gives a legit pivot to the second top 6 line (even if his draws are weak). He plays a powerful and possessive game, which is exactly what Zadina’s line is missing right now.

I’ve said this before, I anticipate the price is prohibitive, but if the price wasn’t outrageous, I would make this move without hesitation.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The one thing PLD does have is that he, like Larkin (despite last night), can be miserable to play against for opponents. He might never be an elite 1C, but if you feel that he can be at a similar level to Larkin in his prime, that’s a really good 1-2 punch.

He would absolutely make the team better if you are only giving up the pick and Rasmussen, like you are suggesting. He’s immediately top 3 on the roster, he gives a legit pivot to the second top 6 line (even if his draws are weak). He plays a powerful and possessive game, which is exactly what Zadina’s line is missing right now.

I’ve said this before, I anticipate the price is prohibitive, but if the price wasn’t outrageous, I would make this move without hesitation.

Right.
I feel like Dubois vs the 1st rounder is already a tough one, valuewise - because you can get a legit franchise guy in the top 4.
Imagine Columbus winning the lottery and getting a franchise stud while we have a nice 1 or 2C.
One who's already showing some signs of being hard to sign.

Rasmussen is a potential 3C with powerplay and PK upside.
That's a lot for Detroit to give up already.
Let alone adding Cholo or whatever else.

He makes us better. But he doesn't change our fortunes much this year.
Any defense with Stecher, Merril and Staal taking a regular shift is in trouble.
Our third line would be a collection of vagabonds and spare parts.

If you're gonna dream, dream big.
Detroit 1st, Hronek, Zadina
for
Dubois/Werenski

Reactions: evolutionbaby

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I think PLD could end up another ROR type of 1st line center. I also think that when not in Columbus playing under Torts then he can display more offense than he's allowed there. And even if he's not great on draws he's still a major upgrade on Fabbri in all facets of the game.

Another reason why I'd trade our first this year for him is because the quality of player we're likely to end up with our pick (let's say 3 to 7) is at best expected to be PLD's caliber of player in this year's draft. Coronavirus is going to make this draft a total crapshoot, and it was never billed as having the kind of talent at the top that 18, 19 and 20 drafts did.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Right.
I feel like Dubois vs the 1st rounder is already a tough one, valuewise - because you can get a legit franchise guy in the top 4.
Imagine Columbus winning the lottery and getting a franchise stud while we have a nice 1 or 2C.
One who's already showing some signs of being hard to sign.

Rasmussen is a potential 3C with powerplay and PK upside.
That's a lot for Detroit to give up already.
Let alone adding Cholo or whatever else.

He makes us better. But he doesn't change our fortunes much this year.
Any defense with Stecher, Merril and Staal taking a regular shift is in trouble.
Our third line would be a collection of vagabonds and spare parts.

If you're gonna dream, dream big.
Detroit 1st, Hronek, Zadina
for
Dubois/Werenski

I think that realistically there’s so many uncertainties about this draft, between Covid impacting development, and the fact that there was no runaway favorite for first overall. Our draft pick is honestly not as valuable to me as a different year would be.

And regarding that last deal, I know we differ philosophically as what the major driver of the poor performance is on the ice, but last night made me feel like I’m approaching putting the garage sale sign out front. Obviously they aren’t going to trade Larkin after putting the C on him, but I’d be okay trading literally any person on the roster today. It might be an overreaction, sure, but best case Raymond and best case Seider don’t make this roster work. They are just so deprived of meaningful talent.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
At 5 on5

I don't think a 1st&Ras/Veleno should be too far off what Columbus should get from most teams - especially with how high our 1st is likely to be. I think there would be more filler going both ways on top of it, but that would be the foundation for a deal. And, really, in the next couple of years we are probably looking at drafting a center with our 1st anyway. This just means we don't have to.

I haven't been trying to say we'd have a Malkin/Crosby or McDavid/Drasaitl level of combo, but I think people have begun to underrate Larkin a bit with how bad the wings have been, and over rate centers on other teams. Everyone loved ROR after the blues won their Cup...but if you really love that guy, you have no reason to not really love Larkin, imo. Larkin certainly isn't an elite guy, but you add him to another guy on his level, like PLD or Johanssen and you are pretty darn strong up the middle - especially if the you get guys with the right drive/character.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With our 1st (top 3-5ish) +Ras & Cholo being in the ballpark, +/- minor piece(s) i.e. Hirose (most I likely wanna pay, as alluded to earlier), the risk for the Wings is that PLD signs with MTL as UFA in 4-5yrs. Based on that alone, my offer should make a lot more sens to CBJ.

If they want Suzuki+ MTL 1st, that's too much to pay.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't think a 1st&Ras/Veleno should be too far off what Columbus should get from most teams - especially with how high our 1st is likely to be. I think there would be more filler going both ways on top of it, but that would be the foundation for a deal. And, really, in the next couple of years we are probably looking at drafting a center with our 1st anyway. This just means we don't have to.

I haven't been trying to say we'd have a Malkin/Crosby or McDavid/Drasaitl level of combo, but I think people have begun to underrate Larkin a bit with how bad the wings have been, and over rate centers on other teams. Everyone loved ROR after the blues won their Cup...but if you really love that guy, you have no reason to not really love Larkin, imo. Larkin certainly isn't an elite guy, but you add him to another guy on his level, like PLD or Johanssen and you are pretty darn strong up the middle - especially if the you get guys with the right drive/character.

I'm still not even sold on our first for PLD.
I don't think anyone is underrating Larkin at all, either.

I don't think Larkin is ever really going to be at the ROR level - but he's in that same mold if he can shore up his defense.
But St. Louis also had Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dunn, Edmunson and Bouwmeester on that defense.

If you trade away your first, you trade away your chance to draft Owen Power or Brandt Clark or Carson Lambos or Luke Hughes or Simon Edvinson.
Or maybe centers like Berniers, Johnson, or Eklund.
Eklund has 14 points in 22 games so far. Six months younger than Raymond, better production. I don't know if he's legit yet.
Kent Johnson - 15 points in 12 games for Michigan. Seems a little light and a bit of a perimeter guy. But a 6'1 NCAA freshman over a point-per game? When does that happen?
Berniers just played in the WJCs and looked good. Hes got 8 points in 10 games. He's another C with decent size. Seems to have a defensive game, too.
Raty is another guy who seems to have fallen out of favor. Another 6'1, 185 pound center.

Maybe we could draft Cole Sillinger and hope that we hit ridiculous homeruns later in the draft, like we did when we drafted his dad.

I like the idea of PLD...
But I'd rather give up Ras/Zadina/2nd then trade away a first.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Thats fair , but ya wouldnt get it done

We’ll see what he moved for soon
As far as prices/market value, 3 big recent trades all favored the seller in retrospect, causing mild trepidation in the trade waters.

MTL won the Pacioretty trade & may now pounce on PLD via Suzuki.
OTT won the EK trade
COL won the Duchene trade w/OTT via NSH

This is why I'm not keen on depleting Top 6F (all 5 of them) & Top 2D on our current roster as some have proposed., i.e. Hronek + Zadina + pick/prospect for PLD. It just creates other holes, albeit smaller, but collectively ~ the same size.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidBadger

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think this year's draft class is interesting, but even at #1OA, I don't see a prospect head-and-shoulders above PLD. For folks who're reluctant to move our first in that deal, I'm curious who you like so much in this draft that you wouldn't move the pick for PLD.

I still don't think Columbus is interested in futures. But if they were, I'd happily start with our '21 first and Rasmussen, and I'd pretty comfortably add to that as well.

To me, the biggest needs in our pipeline are one more legitimate top 6 C (ideally a no-doubt 1C) and two top 4 LHD, with one ideally complementing Seider on on the top pairing. Our first hopefully addresses one of those needs. PLD certainly addresses one of those needs. I wouldn't hesitate to move our first for a player like that.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I think this year's draft class is interesting, but even at #1OA, I don't see a prospect head-and-shoulders above PLD. For folks who're reluctant to move our first in that deal, I'm curious who you like so much in this draft that you wouldn't move the pick for PLD.

I still don't think Columbus is interested in futures. But if they were, I'd happily start with our '21 first and Rasmussen, and I'd pretty comfortably add to that as well.

To me, the biggest needs in our pipeline are one more legitimate top 6 C (ideally a no-doubt 1C) and two top 4 LHD, with one ideally complementing Seider on on the top pairing. Our first hopefully addresses one of those needs. PLD certainly addresses one of those needs. I wouldn't hesitate to move our first for a player like that.
You're willing to give up a potential 1st overall pick + a former top 10 pick + more for PLD who has a career high of 61 points? PLD is a good player but he isn't a surefire first line center, even on Detroit, he'd be 2C behind Larkin. Plus Detroit would have to pay him a ton of money in two years to keep him around.

Not that a rebuilding team should be trading 1st round picks, but if I am trading a top 5 pick +, I am aiming higher than PLD. A team with Larkin and PLD down the middle would definitely be a big improvement but ultimately won't win a cup unless the rest of the team is stacked.

Reactions: MBH

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You're willing to give up a potential 1st overall pick + a former top 10 pick + more for PLD who has a career high of 61 points? PLD is a good player but he isn't a surefire first line center, even on Detroit, he'd be 2C behind Larkin. Plus Detroit would have to pay him a ton of money in two years to keep him around.

Not that a rebuilding team should be trading 1st round picks, but if I am trading a top 5 pick +, I am aiming higher than PLD. A team with Larkin and PLD down the middle would definitely be a big improvement but ultimately won't win a cup unless the rest of the team is stacked.

Yes. An unlikely first overall pick in an uncertain and unimpressive draft class, a former top 10 pick, in arguably the worst draft class in the past 5 years, who we can safely say shouldn’t have been, and more.

For a 22 year old former #3 overall pick, in what was the best top end draft class in the past 5 years, who plays the highest value position in the sport, and has the potential to be a top line center, or at the very least a 1B/2A option.

Don’t get lost in determining where value lies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You're willing to give up a potential 1st overall pick + a former top 10 pick + more for PLD who has a career high of 61 points?

Yes, because I don't see a surefire 1C or #1D in this draft. A few players with that upside, sure, but no locks. The '22 Wright/Lambert/Savoie draft would be a different story. Even if you think a guy like Kent Johnson has 1C upside, he's probably not hitting that point-per-game ceiling for at least 3-4 years. Dubois improves the team immediately while fitting the rebuild timeline.

I don't dislike Rasmussen, but the fact that he's a former top 10 pick doesn't carry much weight to me. I don't think the upside is that high there, and recent statements/actions from the organization indicates that they agree.

To say that PLD's career high is 61 point is technically true but a bit misleading I think. He's 22 years old. I think he's a legitimate top 6 center who still has room for growth, and whose game translates really well to playoff hockey.

PLD is a good player but he isn't a surefire first line center, even on Detroit, he'd be 2C behind Larkin. Plus Detroit would have to pay him a ton of money in two years to keep him around.

If he's 2C behind Larkin it's pretty close, and as I mentioned I think Dubois will continue to improve over the next couple seasons. Regardless, Dubois would massively improve our center lineup now and going forward. I don't mind paying him in two years, paying talented players is a problem that good teams have.

I still don't think the deal is likely to happen, but yeah I'd have zero issue with Yzerman moving our 1st+ for Dubois.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
all the Dubois trades in here seem pretty off base

I doubt Columbus is terribly interested in trading him for futures

the only scenario I could realistically see happening is something like Mantha+ some other stuff if they can't get a better offer

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

the only scenario I could realistically see happening is something like Mantha+ some other stuff if they can't get a better offer

This..

I think offering Mantha is the only way the DRW could land him

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If I'm C-bus I pull the trigger on any of those trades in a macro-second except the Vegas one. The Winnipeg one is sensible but they can only hope those other teams would throw in the proposed offers.
The MTL offer favors MTL, imo, partly b/c I'm not sold on KKotaniemi, but like Poehling. The VGK offer is odd, though two C prospects is enticing, but not sure they wanna move Joonas or even Elvis. NYR offer seems meh. LA offer seems fair. CB adds a 2nd? & maybe prospect for Laine.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I wouldn't balk at giving up Mantha for him, either. I'm not sure what Columbus would like for an add, though. I can see Glendening having some appeal, but we don't have a whole lot to add that would be desirable and help them now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad