If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Bergeron is 34 and Krejci is 35. Cirelli is nice, but he's clearly a step down from Larkin and Johannsen. The only single player I take over either of Larkin/Johanssen is Point.

Also, has to be pointed out that if you want to slam Larkin and johannsen for production, what's the average production of Bergeron and Krejci over their careers? They rate out at 65 and 61 points per 82 games, respectively.

WTF are you talking about seriously?

Ryan Johannsen is a second line center he has twice in his career got 20 goals or more 6 and 7 years ago. He is about a 50 to 60 point guy.
He just came off the worst year of his career where he had 36 points in 68 games.
You think a tandem of 2nd line centers is better than Bergeron/Krejci and Point and Cirelli?
I don't nor have I ever want Johannsen on Detroit.

Detroit needs a true number 1 top line center and Johannsen ain't it.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I'd be willing to trade Mantha, plus other assets, for a young first-line center.

But I'm not sure Dubois is really all that and a bag of chips. He's younger than Mantha, sure, and he's a C, but he's had a few years in the league now, and Dubois hasn't put up huge points.

And the whole way this thing between him and the Columbus BJ's went down doesn't fill me with confidence. The kid got a contract for 2 years at $5 million per year, and then demanded a trade, because the coach said harsh words to him once.

I think my wish list from the Beejers would be:

1) Seth Jones
2) Werenski
3) Tortorella
27) Dubois
28) A bag of pucks

Reactions: MBH

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I'd be willing to trade Mantha, plus other assets, for a young first-line center.

But I'm not sure Dubois is really all that and a bag of chips. He's younger than Mantha, sure, and he's a C, but he's had a few years in the league now, and Dubois hasn't put up huge points.

And the whole way this thing between him and the Columbus BJ's went down doesn't fill me with confidence. The kid got a contract for 2 years at $5 million per year, and then demanded a trade, because the coach said harsh words to him once.

I think my wish list from the Beejers would be:

1) Seth Jones
2) Werenski
3) Tortorella
27) Dubois
28) A bag of pucks

Did you catch any of the Jackets games in the bubble? If Dubois plays like that consistently he would be Detroit’s best player. Between Larkins speed/defense and Dubois physical/goal scoring the center position is set up for a decade, would give up a whole lot for him.

The problem for Detroit is the best trade assets are wingers, least valuable position. The only two players I wouldn’t trade for Dubois are Larkin and Seider.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Did you catch any of the Jackets games in the bubble? If Dubois plays like that consistently he would be Detroit’s best player. Between Larkins speed/defense and Dubois physical/goal scoring the center position is set up for a decade, would give up a whole lot for him.

The problem for Detroit is the best trade assets are wingers, least valuable position. The only two players I wouldn’t trade for Dubois are Larkin and Seider.
No, I didn't see him play in the play-in/playoffs last year. I've only seen him a couple of times. He looked good, but not Mantha-good.

But he is a center, and he is younger than Mantha. I'm thinking we're just squandering Mantha at this point, and he'll be in decline by the time the team is halfway decent, so as much as it pains me...I'd be willing to trade him.

But Mantha is so smart, and big and strong and fast, and he's got a wicked shot -- I'm going to need something more than a guy who's topped out at 20-ish goals, and who demands a trade when the coach dares to coach him. Right after he gets paid $5 million a year, a big payday he got merely because he shows promise. A couple of playoff series is a pretty small sample size. I'm still going to pass on this trade.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Man I hate this guy being so one-dimensional.

So perimeter player.

140 goals from the perimeter.

I would hate that.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
After two games of watching Pierre Luc Dubois, I'd like to cancel my order.
There's no doubt he's got the size, skill and skating to be a beast.
But did you even notice last night?
0-0-0 1 shot, 2 PIM. 8/17 on faceoffs.

0-0-0 1 shot. That's what he's done in 3 of 4 games so far.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After two games of watching Pierre Luc Dubois, I'd like to cancel my order.
There's no doubt he's got the size, skill and skating to be a beast.
But did you even notice last night?
0-0-0 1 shot, 2 PIM. 8/17 on faceoffs.

0-0-0 1 shot. That's what he's done in 3 of 4 games so far.

The problem is, if you are gonna trade him, then we wants out to be Montreal Canadien.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The problem is, if you are gonna trade him, then we wants out to be Montreal Canadien.

So question...I know PLD is a Quebecois. And we always think every Quebecois player wants to play for the bleu blanc et rouge. But did PLD actually state this? Or is he the kind of guy who is going to demand going to a New York or California team to live it up?

And honestly right now, as a player, do they really want to play for an idiotic GM like GMMB that has proven they don't know how to really build a roster?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I know Im getting a little ahead of my self here but what do you guys think of signing RNH next off season? Maybe something like 5 years at 7.5 Million? As far as adding a center without subtracting from what we got he seems like the best option

He'd really shore up that 2C spot and could be well complemented by zadina/Bertuzzi. He has also been an effective winger if we manage to draft a better center in the next draft or two. We could run something like:

Raymond - Larkin - Mantha
Bertuzzi - RNH - Zadina
Brome - Rasmussen/Veleno - Berggren

Reactions: RabidBadger

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I caught several games in the bubble. Hat trick one game. Invisible for 3 straight.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I caught several games in the bubble. Hat trick one game. Invisible for 3 straight.

I was under quarantine in South Korea during the playoffs so I watched a lot of hockey, and Dubois was one of the players that surprised me the most. Dubois played like a sure fire #1 center, when he wasn’t scoring goals he was very physical.

How anyone could watch those games and think he was invisible is beyond me, it screams recency bias. Dubois was a monster in the playoffs, I would love to see him in the Winged Wheel.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So question...I know PLD is a Quebecois. And we always think every Quebecois player wants to play for the bleu blanc et rouge. But did PLD actually state this? Or is he the kind of guy who is going to demand going to a New York or California team to live it up?

Players never state these, but these Twitter comments (from Friedman and Kypreos) seems handle this case as more obvious than anything else before.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-dubois-echl-prospects/

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
WTF are you talking about seriously?

Ryan Johannsen is a second line center he has twice in his career got 20 goals or more 6 and 7 years ago. He is about a 50 to 60 point guy.
He just came off the worst year of his career where he had 36 points in 68 games.
You think a tandem of 2nd line centers is better than Bergeron/Krejci and Point and Cirelli?
I don't nor have I ever want Johannsen on Detroit.

Detroit needs a true number 1 top line center and Johannsen ain't it.
im a huge Johansen slappy. He's one of those "leaves you wanting more" guys.. at 6m, i could handle him if the deal was a simple money dump by nashville. He would be a great center with a kid like Zadina and a player similar to Bert IMO. But, at 8m, zero chance id want that even if its free (i mean, if he's only a 7th rounder, id take it but still)...

team for sure needs a no2 center badly. id much rather see Fabbri in the middle 6 winger role versus a center IMO.

Reactions: Go Wings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I know Im getting a little ahead of my self here but what do you guys think of signing RNH next off season? Maybe something like 5 years at 7.5 Million? As far as adding a center without subtracting from what we got he seems like the best option

He'd really shore up that 2C spot and could be well complemented by zadina/Bertuzzi. He has also been an effective winger if we manage to draft a better center in the next draft or two. We could run something like:

Raymond - Larkin - Mantha
Bertuzzi - RNH - Zadina
Brome - Rasmussen/Veleno - Berggren

[/QUOTE]

I mean, I don't hate it... but I'd really rather hope that we find a way to win the lottery (we can either just be bad this year and win it organically or compete and pull a magic pick with us landing at like 12 or 13 (just out of the playoffs and get it) to land that guy. RNH would be fine and an upgrade, but I think I'd either want to go bigger somehow or stay the course with lower cost guys.

So, tentative yes on that with the hope that we either can make a bigger splash or we can get some luck for once.

Reactions: Winger98

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I said it someplace else, but I'm assuming that Dubois had his heart set on being in Montreal and when Columbus balked and moved on to Anderson, he just felt crushed or something. I can understand as a young kid, and your dream is to play for your hometown club and all the insiders are saying that "it's heating up" and whatever. And he probably let himself get mentally and emotionally away from Columbus. And now he has to settle into the reality of being a professional about his situation and play for what is an amazing contract, considering all of the Covid/Financial issues.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I mean, I don't hate it... but I'd really rather hope that we find a way to win the lottery (we can either just be bad this year and win it organically or compete and pull a magic pick with us landing at like 12 or 13 (just out of the playoffs and get it) to land that guy. RNH would be fine and an upgrade, but I think I'd either want to go bigger somehow or stay the course with lower cost guys.

So, tentative yes on that with the hope that we either can make a bigger splash or we can get some luck for once.

I get where you coming from. I just don't see how else we can address that hole with out emptying the pipeline that has taken so long to stock. Even if we draft a centre with our top pick in the 2021 draft he would still probably be a year or two (at best) from making an impact at the position. With a guy like nuge we could ease the new prospect in on the wing or 3rd line C or draft another position we deem to be the BPA.

Nuge isn't perfect. Ideally we find someone better but Im not seeing much for options aside from selling the farm for a guy like PLD, who I like more than RNH, but sets us back as much as it helps us.

For me it comes down to opportunity cost. Trading Raymond/1st + Mantha to add someone like PLD < adding RNH for free.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I get where you coming from. I just don't see how else we can address that hole with out emptying the pipeline that has taken so long to stock. Even if we draft a centre with our top pick in the 2021 draft he would still probably be a year or two (at best) from making an impact at the position. With a guy like nuge we could ease the new prospect in on the wing or 3rd line C or draft another position we deem to be the BPA.

Nuge isn't perfect. Ideally we find someone better but Im not seeing much for options aside from selling the farm for a guy like PLD, who I like more than RNH, but sets us back as much as it helps us.

For me it comes down to opportunity cost. Trading Raymond/1st + Mantha to add someone like PLD < adding RNH for free.
Nailed it..."Opportunity Cost", is a concept lost on many. Even with the shenanigans PLD pulled he'd be a welcome addition (not a good look for him, but kinda understandable, certainly a small blip in his career/big picture), but not at the acquisition cost too.

If Barkov/Werenski aren't resigned, I think we could get, at minimum Zach. Barkov, who knows where he wants to be, but we'll likely be among the top bidders/suitors I'd imagine.

Re: RNH (28 yrs. old in April '21), he'll want too much term & money. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should (even in desperation mode). He's not that good for a $7+/7yr. He'll be 30+ when we really start to compete, assuming: we get a 1G, 1LD, Seider becomes 1RD, & Zadina/Raymond/Fabbri/Veleno etc. blossom.

upload_2021-1-22_10-58-26.png

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

That's why I said it like I did. I agree that it isn't perfect. Nugent Hopkins is a good player. I'm not gonna thumb my nose at adding a good player for free.

But he's another in the line of "we really need an elite guy not just a good to potentially really good guy".

Reactions: SirloinUB
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
That's why I said it like I did. I agree that it isn't perfect. Nugent Hopkins is a good player. I'm not gonna thumb my nose at adding a good player for free.

But he's another in the line of "we really need an elite guy not just a good to potentially really good guy".

In my opinion Nuge is one of the most underrated players in the entire league. He gets too much criticism because he was the first overall pick, and doesn't put up 100 points per season. He's overshadowed a bit by 97 and 29, but I really like what Nuge brings to the table. He's responsible, smart, and chips in offensively. I'd love to add Nuge, but don't think we have the assets to make it happen.

Reactions: RedMenace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad