If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
Another off-season question If you could bring in a piece or two including draft pics,players,goalies,coach whatever who would it be and remember be realistic and name who you would/what you would offer. And ill go with someone not like McDavid or Matthew's. I would pick anze Kopitar because even though he's over 30 I feel like LA would retain and he would serve well as a number 1/2 center with two way talents for our young guys and by the time we are ready to contend he'll be on the outs wing

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Another off-season question If you could bring in a piece or two including draft pics,players,goalies,coach whatever who would it be and remember be realistic and name who you would/what you would offer. And ill go with someone not like McDavid or Matthew's. I would pick anze Kopitar because even though he's over 30 I feel like LA would retain and he would serve well as a number 1/2 center with two way talents for our young guys and by the time we are ready to contend he'll be on the outs wing
Wait, what? Is this on the premise of LA dumping him or are the Wings spending assets to get him? Either way, I'm not understanding why you would want this?

Reactions: Oddbob and Gniwder

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
if would be of the assumption LA is rebuilding and yeah he is my favorite player so if we could land him a 32 yearold 80pt center who would come off the books right when guys like mantha,larkin,seider, take over in 2-4 years i would take him. excellent two way center to teach and learn from.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

“I’m going to ask for something reasonable”.... retained Anze Kopitar.

You’re not getting even a 33 year old Kopitar at 5-7.5M unless you’re giving something f***ing massive. I’d say Larkin would have to be headed the other way or some really big futures. Kopitar is still a near PPG two way center.

For Kopitar’s price... f*** it... I add whatever it takes on top of it to pull Barkov out of Florida.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wait, what? Is this on the premise of LA dumping him or are the Wings spending assets to get him? Either way, I'm not understanding why you would want this?
Seriously... $10M cap hit, 3 years for an aging center that's more likely to be 2C? Hard pass.

$10M buys a lot in free agency right now. You could sign Hoffman, Haula, and Perry (lol, let's reunite him with Ryan) for the same amount of money.

If there's any sort of trade, I'd target Tampa Bay, not some has been from another cellar team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Realistic trade targets that wouldn't cost a total fortune and would benefit the Wings, hmm...

Matt Dumba comes to mind. He's actively on the trade block for the Wild but Guerin hasn't liked the offers so far.

26-year-old right shot defender signed at $6 million for the next 3 years. Sounds about perfect for the Wings timeline and needs as they transition Seider and others onto the blueline.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Realistic trade targets that wouldn't cost a total fortune and would benefit the Wings, hmm...

Matt Dumba comes to mind. He's actively on the trade block for the Wild but Guerin hasn't liked the offers so far.

26-year-old right shot defender signed at $6 million for the next 3 years. Sounds about perfect for the Wings timeline and needs as they transition Seider and others onto the blueline.
I'm trying to understand your logic here...

1. there's only so much TOI, Hronek & Seider will eat up ~ 40-45+ min, with Lindstrom getting the leftovers when he arrives. Meanwhile Stech/Biega etc. Is Dumba gonna play LD as a RHS in your scenario?

2. After the premium to acquire him is paid, only 3 yrs of svc. doesn't seem worth it unless we flip him before UFA & even then there's no guarantee of a solid return.

3. We also want cohesiveness on our team [mod]

4. He's also small (182 lbs.), & doesn't fit the Yzerman mold of big D...besides we already have Hronek as our small/skilled/PP weapon. I'd like to see Hronek play @190lbs+.

5. Dumba's career avg. of 34pts/82gp isn't that impressive considering deployment/TOI etc. He had 1 50pt seasons & a bunch of meh, most seasons played on a bubble/PO team & solid top4 D.

6. Injuries, he's only played 2 80+ gp seasons. His production dipped after signing $6x5yrs, partly due to injury, partly due to aging core, new coach, (add any other excuse/reason here).

7. His playoff resume is pedestrian.

Pass.

P.S. Hockey is for everyone

Last edited by a moderator:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Sigh... Geez... Plowing ahead...

What's our interest towards Ryan O'Reilly in St. Louis?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Dumba would be a fine addition. Seider isn't playing until the SHL season is over, DeKeyser isn't a lock to stay healthy, and most of everybody else is either still developing or was brought here to be dealt at the deadline.

There's even a rumor circulating that Detroit might add a defenseman:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-december-1-2020/

"As per Ansar Khan of MLive, the Detroit Red Wings added some decent forward depth during free agency but their blue line is still viewed as a little thin according to heac coach Jeff Blashill. As such, after Steve Yzerman said the club was going to look to continue improving the roster, expect them to keep an eye out for a defenseman.

"The team doesn’t know how healthy Danny DeKeyser is and how much he’ll be available. He was limited to eight games last season due to back pain that required surgery. He has said previously that he would be ready for the 2021 NHL season."

Reactions: Bench

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Youngish 2C or top 4 LD.

Ideally something that bumps Dekeyser or Filppula further down the lineup.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Youngish 2C or top 4 LD.

from DobberHockey today: (see Fabbri)

Detroit
RisersAnthony Mantha, Filip Hronek, Filip Zadina, Robby Fabbri
Fallers – Vladislav Namestnikov, Bobby Ryan
Mantha broke out in the second half of the 2018-2019 campaign, during which he posted 33 points in his final 38 games. He carried that momentum into the 2019-2020 season, tallying 38 points through 43 appearances – a 72-point pace! Injuries have prevented Mantha from showcasing his scoring prowess over a full 82-game season, so a portion of the fantasy hockey community hasn't yet recognized his true fantasy value. I don't think Mantha's past injuries or current play style make him more prone to future injuries, so I'm hoping he's able to stay healthy moving forward – ultimately leading to more games played, more points tallied, and rising fantasy value.

The Red Wings have a number of up-and-coming defensemen in their system, but Filip Hronek is currently their number-one option and should maintain that status for the next few years. Hronek has managed a 40-point pace through two years in the NHL. That level of production becomes all the more impressive when you consider the state of his team's offense, as Detroit averaged a league-worst 2.39 goals per game over the past two seasons. The 23-year-old defenseman saw a huge jump in responsibility between his rookie and sophomore season. His average ice-time jumped from 20 minutes in year one to 24 minutes in year two. He also took on a more prominent power-play role as his share of the team's total power-play time increased from 39-percent to 55-percent. Expect his fantasy value to rise as he and the team around him continue to improve.

I don't think you need to be convinced that Zadina's fantasy value will continue to increase over the coming years. The 6th overall pick of the 2018 draft displayed a penchant for goal-scoring in the QMJHL which carried into the AHL and is starting to show in the NHL. The Red Wings have allowed Zadina to develop at his own pace thus far and I think he'll see his role with the team gradually increase in the coming years as he continues to grow into his potential.
Fabbri has struggled to stay healthy during his first few years in the NHL, with injuries hindering his offensive production and overall development. All things considered, I think it's impressive that Fabbri scored at roughly a 45-point pace in three of his four NHL seasons. He's managed this level of offensive output without seeing traditional top-line minutes, so there's definitely room for growth if he's able to earn a bigger role. That remains a realistic possibility in Detroit – where offensive talent is scare and where the best players play the most minutes (Dylan Larkin, Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha each averaged ~19 or more minutes last year). If Fabbri is able to stay healthy over the next few years, his fantasy value will certainly be on the rise.

It is hard to see Namestnikov's offensive output coming close to the 58-point pace (44 points in 62 games) he tallied while riding shotgun beside Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos in Tampa Bay during the 2017-2018 campaign. He has hovered around the 35-point mark outside of that one amazing season and I think 35-40 points is what we should expect for him in Detroit.
Bobby Ryan's career got off to an incredible start, with four-straight 30-goal seasons between 2008 and 2012. Unfortunately, he's suffered numerous hand injuries in recent years and probably won't be able to reach those same goal-scoring totals again.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Youngish 2C or top 4 LD.

how much could we realistically offer?

Id love to add those pieces but I struggle to see how we could provide the value to land those pieces

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There's even a rumor circulating that Detroit might add a defenseman:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-december-1-2020/

"As per Ansar Khan of MLive, the Detroit Red Wings added some decent forward depth during free agency but their blue line is still viewed as a little thin according to heac coach Jeff Blashill. As such, after Steve Yzerman said the club was going to look to continue improving the roster, expect them to keep an eye out for a defenseman.

"The team doesn’t know how healthy Danny DeKeyser is and how much he’ll be available. He was limited to eight games last season due to back pain that required surgery. He has said previously that he would be ready for the 2021 NHL season."
I'm sure he meant through free agency, not trade. The following are still available:
- Andy Greene (from Trenton MI)
- Sami Vantanen - not the most stellar performance in NJ
- Ben Hutton
- I assume Hamonic is still injured
And about a dozen guys somewhat better than Biega/Staal that could be had for less than $1M

I still think the team should sign Andy Greene for cheap insurance in case DeKeyser has back issues. This team was bad last season but the wheels fell off the dumpster fire when DDK and Mantha got injured.

(You're welcome for the mixed metaphor.)

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'm trying to understand your logic here...

1. there's only so much TOI, Hronek & Seider will eat up ~ 40-45+ min, with Lindstrom getting the leftovers when he arrives. Meanwhile Stech/Biega etc. Is Dumba gonna play LD as a RHS in your scenario?

2. After the premium to acquire him is paid, only 3 yrs of svc. doesn't seem worth it unless we flip him before UFA & even then there's no guarantee of a solid return.

3. We also want cohesiveness on our team & not political distractions (HDA) etc., which don't belong in sports (or most places). See NFL/NBA/victimized small businesses for details, all of whom took major losses and/or closed, ruining countless lives & impacting future generations negatively.

4. He's also small (182 lbs.), & doesn't fit the Yzerman mold of big D...besides we already have Hronek as our small/skilled/PP weapon. I'd like to see Hronek play @190lbs+.

5. Dumba's career avg. of 34pts/82gp isn't that impressive considering deployment/TOI etc. He had 1 50pt seasons & a bunch of meh, most seasons played on a bubble/PO team & solid top4 D.

6. Injuries, he's only played 2 80+ gp seasons. His production dipped after signing $6x5yrs, partly due to injury, partly due to aging core, new coach, (add any other excuse/reason here).

7. His playoff resume is pedestrian.

Pass.

P.S. Hockey is for everyone

To address the other merits of this post... (Not that I actually even want to part with whatever it would take to get Dumba)

1) The idea is that between those three, you'll have depth. The Wings have been murdered by injuries to the few capable defensemen that they do have. They would not have been anywhere near as bad with a healthy DeKeyser and a Mike Green who wasn't toast. Seider should be ready... but Seider is not jumping into a top line D role his rookie season. Or at least he won't start the season there.

2) The idea is that 3 years of service is what would keep his price a little cheaper and it would fit in a timeframe that he's walking out the door as you have Hronek + Seider locked and loaded to be your top two defensemen.

4) Yzerman likes big defensemen... but moreso, he likes skilled defensemen. Nesterov, Stralman, Koekkoek, etc. He's had several guys play at ~190. He also built a big, skilled D because they had small, fast skaters in Tampa. And frankly... the Wings had a bunch of lightweights on D last year.

5) 22 in 32 in 18-19 isn't impressive? He's not a Norris contender, but he's a very good top 4D.

6) Not really that fair here. He had an injury for about a month in 14-15 that knocked him to 58 games. That December he was hurt. Then he had ONE injury plagued season in 18-19. He missed a grand total of 7 games from 15-16 to 17-18. 81, 76, 82. And then he literally played EVERY game in 19-20. He had four seasons that he played over 92% of the season. One season in which he was a 19 year old rookie that got a cup of coffee. But yeah, injuries are a real worry with this guy. /s

7) His team is pedestrian.

The logic is that Matt Dumba is better than any defenseman we have on this roster currently. Hronek and Seider have higher upsides, but Dumba would be a lot better in the here and now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Same here, but haven't really paid much attention to him since the injury.

Sami Vatanen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Sign me up for this guy. He's a FA with an injury history that should come cheap. Looks statistically to be the damn same player he was in Anaheim, just with a worse roster around him so his counting stats like +/- are worse, but his relative corsi and the like are better because he's playing with worse players. Given hard cap COVID world and his injury problems? Can probably sign him for a song if he'll listen. Seems like a pretty good buy-low option that could pay dividends if he stays healthy... and if he doesn't, you're not spending anywhere near as much on him in 2020 as you would in a regular season. And he might even sign with your shitty hockey team because you've got the space to pay him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Realistically, I'd be hammering the teams in dire cap trouble like the Islanders with calls asking about Dobson or Wahlstrom. Calling Tampa to try to up the price they'd give us for taking TJ. Or like I said, if we want to go absolutely crazy, keep an eye trained on Florida and be willing to go big game fishing for Barkov (2 years left on a ridiculous bargain contract which he is going to look to cash in MASSIVELY on after its completion.) Florida has routinely had attendance issues (pre-COVID, obv) and while I think they've got stable, money-flush ownership now... they've also got some really weighty pieces on long term deals and are in a really really low-revenue spot. You could be aggressive with a commitment they couldn't match.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
(Trade) Acquisition costs in this thread are near ridiculous amounts for said players: Dumba, Dobson, Barkov, Kopitar. ...None of these are realistic without gutting our roster/picks and/or prospect pool.

Besides Dumba being a poor fit for the 7+ aforementioned reasons, who's gonna play 3RD? Surely not Hronek who'd likely put up similar #'s to Dumba, if not better (compare their career pts/gp if you don't believe me), besides who played on the much better team, with 3 other Top 4 D & NHL caliber C's.

That'd be a kick in the pants to Hronek after bearing the brunt of the D responsibilities last season. Seider looked ready for a 2RD role last season, surely he's ready now. Dumba=Bad fit, worse suggestion.

Dobson? Yeah, like the NYI are gonna part with him for cheap, lol.

Barkov? Pfftttt. Might as well restart another rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I would as far as defensemen go trade for Dougie Hamilton. He is still young at 27. We could also sign him as an UFA 2021-2022. Goalie Korpisalo from Columbus. Forward Filip Forsberg Nashville

Reactions: BSHH

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
4) Yzerman likes big defensemen... but moreso, he likes skilled defensemen. Nesterov, Stralman, Koekkoek, etc.
Guess who's still available? Koekkoek, lol. Probably better than Biega, I can't say I recall watching him play at all.

Besides Dumba being a poor fit for the 7+ aforementioned reasons, who's gonna play 3RD?
This came up when we were talking about Sanderson being a possible draft pick. Just run one of them on the left. Seider can't shoot, but he's very good defensively, so run Hronek-Seider to take advantage of Hronek's one timer.

But I don't want Dumba either. I want Power.

Vantanen? Sure, as long as it's 1 or 2 years. I think Greene would be more receptive of one year deals though.

There's really no point in giving up future assets in a trade right now. Build the foundation through the draft, fill in holes with free agents, trade if there's any remaining holes. Not sure why we're talking about trades unless it's a Fabbri/Perlini type deal.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still think the team should sign Andy Greene for cheap insurance in case DeKeyser has back issues. This team was bad last season but the wheels fell off the dumpster fire when DDK and Mantha got injured.

(You're welcome for the mixed metaphor.)

Maybe they should sign, but I'm sure he'll stay at Islanders for cheap. Greene has so long reputation with Lamoriello. He is the "last guy to sign with right caphit until cap with RFAs and LTIR is fixed" -guy.

Vatanen is the player type we are missing. Still Hronek is the only decent PP quarterback. Expect Cholowski to be at Griffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad