If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

J
@Account4hockey

5h
Elliotte Friedman said on SN960 that CBJ have already received several offers for Dubois that they find intriguing. Other teams are not messing around given the rare opportunity to acquire a player of Dubois' calibre. Habs were worried about losing Mete. Leafs worried about Dell.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There was a report 1-2 days ago that the Isles and Red Wings have recently discussed a Thomas Hickey trade. I think it was from the Fourth Period.

From the sound of it, the deal never came together, but may be revisited later.

If any Hickey to Detroit rumors pop up, please come on over to the NYI board and post them.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
There was a report 1-2 days ago that the Isles and Red Wings have recently discussed a Thomas Hickey trade. I think it was from the Fourth Period.

From the sound of it, the deal never came together, but may be revisited later.

If any Hickey to Detroit rumors pop up, please come on over to the NYI board and post them.

The last report we saw stated that the deal fell apart when Detroit claimed Djoos from Anaheim. If there was any remaining interest in adding defensemen, it would probably be channeled into claiming Kylington and moving on, rather than negotiating a trade for Hickey. This assumes of course that the Islanders aren't paying Detroit to take him on, which I don't believe would be the case, but you never know.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The last report we saw stated that the deal fell apart when Detroit claimed Djoos from Anaheim. If there was any remaining interest in adding defensemen, it would probably be channeled into claiming Kylington and moving on, rather than negotiating a trade for Hickey. This assumes of course that the Islanders aren't paying Detroit to take him on, which I don't believe would be the case, but you never know.
I appreciate the info.

I expect the isles to have to attach a sweetener to any Hickey trade. His $1.25m salary for this season isn't bad, but next season's $2.5m salary will turn off other teams.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Call me Crazy but I would make sure there wasn’t a top 3 protection clause. This draft is fairly weak meanwhile 22 has Wright and that other Russian guy labeled as potential superstars

That's not crazy.

2021 draft is exactly that way problematic, that you don't really know who the 1st overall talent is. It feels like a draft where is four 4th overalls as top picks. So winning lottery is almost meaningless. Those guys are so equal.

That's why Top3 protection in Dubois-trade is totally NOT necessary. Just give the 2021 1st and get Dubois, who is a Top3 talent from former stronger draft. And I think you have to add extra to complete the deal. Dubois is already developed, entering on his prime and more sure bet that any guy from 2021 class. Scored point per game at playoffs, and is huge physical machine.

It's a no-brainer trade if CBJ will want to pull the trigger. But Jarmo is not dumb, he usually will win his trades.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Hickey would meet the requirements to be exposed in the expansion draft im assuming. I think Yzerman is carefully acquiring a list of low risk, medium rewards players that can either stick around as depth if they work out or be exposed and not effect our current "core". As a last place team, its the smart way to go about a rebuild with expansion looming... We cant afford to lose assets of any value.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Rasmussen + Cholowski + 2021 1st (Very likely top 8) for PLD + a prospect and/or 2nd round pick?

The CBJ system is pretty thin at the moment. Maybe one of the goalie prospects?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hickey would meet the requirements to be exposed in the expansion draft im assuming. I think Yzerman is carefully acquiring a list of low risk, medium rewards players that can either stick around as depth if they work out or be exposed and not effect our current "core". As a last place team, its the smart way to go about a rebuild with expansion looming... We cant afford to lose assets of any value.

Healthy Thomas Hickey (seasons 2015-16 to 2017-18) was that same series as all Yzerman defensive signings this off-seasons. Manages a low GAA too, like Stecher, Nemeth, Merril and Djoos have done in former teams. And did before the Trotz-era Islanders, when he was healthy and no one else didn't care about defence. When Trotz came, everybody started to care.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Rasmussen + Cholowski + 2021 1st (Very likely top 8) for PLD + a prospect and/or 2nd round pick?

The CBJ system is pretty thin at the moment. Maybe one of the goalie prospects?
I'd do that in a heartbeat & proposed a few similar trades in a few threads. Doubt CBJ does it, but I also can't imagine they think they're actual cup contenders now.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I bet if Hickey does come to Detroit that Stevie will send some salary the other way. I'm hoping Erne and Biega, the Isles can bury both of them and get cap space. Possibly Merrill too... would seem redundant with Hickey and it's another contract that could be buried (or maybe they keep him as the 7th D).

I'd expect any additional compensation to be relatively small...

Hickey + 3rd for Biega, Erne, and Merrill?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I bet if Hickey does come to Detroit that Stevie will send some salary the other way. I'm hoping Erne and Biega, the Isles can bury both of them and get cap space. Possibly Merrill too... would seem redundant with Hickey and it's another contract that could be buried (or maybe they keep him as the 7th D).

That's possible, because Lamoriello still needs Hickey to maximize the Boychuk LTIR space on Starting date of the season. After that day, Hickey can go and be replaced with cheaper defenceman. Islanders have enough forwards for sure, but some defenceman with lesser caphit than Hickey's 2.5M will definitely help the Islanders.

It could be Biega who goes. After that kind of move Islanders can start growing the cap space towards the deadline again. And fit all Andy Greene bonuses to this years cap, so they won't slide to next year, causing problems.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd do that in a heartbeat & proposed a few similar trades in a few threads. Doubt CBJ does it, but I also can't imagine they think they're actual cup contenders now.

I have to wonder about upper management in CBJ as they just can't seem to hold onto their star players. Panarin, Duchene, Bobrovsky to name a few in recent years. They are good at getting a lot out of a player in the short term, but it doesn't seem like it's a happy place for players.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I have to wonder about upper management in CBJ as they just can't seem to hold onto their star players. Panarin, Duchene, Bobrovsky to name a few in recent years. They are good at getting a lot out of a player in the short term, but it doesn't seem like it's a happy place for players.
+Tortz is like Babcock on steroids, having a bad day & raging.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’d love to add Dubois but it’s hard to see a trade that makes sense for a rebuilding red wings. I feel like any package/trade that CBJ would agree to is a robbing peter to pay Paul scenario for Detroit.

As Yzerman said, this thing will take patience.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Please stop with these ridiculous trade offers where we give away a 2021 1st round pick or a 2022 1st round pick.

We are rebuilding, you DO NOT trade away potential top 5 overall picks. PERIOD.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Heck, I'd even throw in Cholo.

Cholo + Svech for Bean. Seems fair....
kind of a poor proposal. wavier pick up + a guy who cant crack the worst team in the NHL's top 6/7 for a kid who's probably a legitimate top 4 right now if there was room on his current squad.

come on. you can do better then that.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I’d love to add Dubois but it’s hard to see a trade that makes sense for a rebuilding red wings. I feel like any package/trade that CBJ would agree to is a robbing peter to pay Paul scenario for Detroit.

As Yzerman said, this thing will take patience.

id love that as well but one would have to think any discussion for PLD would have to start with Raymond or Zadina and a first. Dont think i could see us handling that one at this point in time. but lets step away from that for a minute.

Just imagine PLD here centering Raymond and Zadina if we didnt have to wheel one of them out.
*drools*

Reactions: SirloinUB

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'm kind of okay with trading Raymond for PLD. We have a LOT of talent at wing, and are lacking centers. This is exactly the type of trade you make.

The problem is that it would make is too good in the short term, i really want to be a lottery team next season.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Please stop with these ridiculous trade offers where we give away a 2021 1st round pick or a 2022 1st round pick.

We are rebuilding, you DO NOT trade away potential top 5 overall picks. PERIOD.

I'm kind of okay with trading Raymond for PLD. We have a LOT of talent at wing, and are lacking centers. This is exactly the type of trade you make.

The problem is that it would make is too good in the short term, i really want to be a lottery team next season.

We have people complaining about giving up first round picks, and we have people comfortable with giving away the player we just picked with our highest pick in years mere months after the draft.

Talk about two different sides of the extreme. In terms of future assets, Raymond and Seider are the two pieces we can least afford to move right now, but in the same breath, not having the gut to give up a first round pick to get a high end talent, 22 year old center that we can plug and play in our top 6 for the long term future is not the way to build a team either.

Just so everyone is clear, this is the appropriate valuation of assets. Young high end NHL player > young high end prospect > first round pick.

Raymond was a lottery level talent, the odds of you picking in the top 3 is not the betting favorite, the players available at #4 or later in the upcoming draft is probably not as good of a prospect as Raymond, even if they play a higher value position.

So, we shouldn't discard Raymond in order to keep a first round pick and HOPE we get a better player. And we shouldn't pass on a player like PLD just because the Jackets might want a first round pick in return. There's a balance that we can strike that falls in the middle.

Reactions: mantha39

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
We have people complaining about giving up first round picks, and we have people comfortable with giving away the player we just picked with our highest pick in years mere months after the draft.

Talk about two different sides of the extreme. In terms of future assets, Raymond and Seider are the two pieces we can least afford to move right now, but in the same breath, not having the gut to give up a first round pick to get a high end talent, 22 year old center that we can plug and play in our top 6 for the long term future is not the way to build a team either.

Just so everyone is clear, this is the appropriate valuation of assets. Young high end NHL player > young high end prospect > first round pick.

Raymond was a lottery level talent, the odds of you picking in the top 3 is not the betting favorite, the players available at #4 or later in the upcoming draft is probably not as good of a prospect as Raymond, even if they play a higher value position.

So, we shouldn't discard Raymond in order to keep a first round pick and HOPE we get a better player. And we shouldn't pass on a player like PLD just because the Jackets might want a first round pick in return. There's a balance that we can strike that falls in the middle.

I agree with your sentiment but I think you're off the mark. I mean, based off the valuations your presented, CBJ would/should be looking for more than just "a young high end prospect" like raymond or just a "first round pick," Even top 5 projected. So this is where it breaks down for me. In reality they are going to want both of those piece from us in a dubois trade and possibly an NHL roster player on top of that. Reasonably speaking they arent crazy either. However, were in a rebuild. We need to be accumulating as many quality young assets as possible not consolidating.

If raymond or our pick alone returned Dubois, Id probably pull the trigger but thats just not the case. Theyre going to want both those assets + plus a roster player and that's why I saw its a robbing peter to pay paul situtation

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I appreciate the info.

I expect the isles to have to attach a sweetener to any Hickey trade. His $1.25m salary for this season isn't bad, but next season's $2.5m salary will turn off other teams.

Is Hickey effectively done as an NHL player?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree with your sentiment but I think you're off the mark. I mean, based off the valuations your presented, CBJ would/should be looking for more than just "a young high end prospect" like raymond or just a "first round pick," Even top 5 projected. So this is where it breaks down for me. In reality they are going to want both of those piece from us in a dubois trade and possibly an NHL roster player on top of that. Reasonably speaking they arent crazy either. However, were in a rebuild. We need to be accumulating as many quality young assets as possible not consolidating.

If raymond or our pick alone returned Dubois, Id probably pull the trigger but thats just not the case. Theyre going to want both those assets + plus a roster player and that's why I saw its a robbing peter to pay paul situtation

Sure. Those valuations are still spot on, and I don't think I'm wrong in what I am saying. I'm not saying we can get him for one first or just Raymond. CBJ should be holding a very high asking price, and possibly one we shouldn't pay. But that's the cost of doing business. It would be a huge deal.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->