If The Oilers Pick At #3, Strome Or Hanifin?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As much as I hate myself for not taking the blatantly obvious choice.

We have Klefbom, Nurse, Marty for lefties .....f we can develop them properly....they are almost NHLers anyway.

So, I actually don't mind the Strome pick even though it seems like taking another forward is full-****** at first glance.

Strome/Drai-Yak is a pretty dece line if it can work. Strome plays wing with McD on occasion so maybe he can play on that line and be like our own mini-Marleau/guy who plays wing and c as needed.

Then if we can grab a goalie and a couple D with the next few picks ....like grab two of Andersson, Zboril, Carlo, Roy, Lindgren, Larsson, Juulsen etc. (depending on how high Pittsburghs pick is)...I think that sets you up as good...if not better.

I guess I'm saying there are a lot of good D available but I'm not really sure about forwards. I'd take Meier....Chlapik....maybe....but Meier won't be there...and the difference between Strome and Chlapik or Merkley or Harkins > difference between Hanifin and some of the other D, IMO.

This is kind of where I stand right now as well. Do you just take the safe pick in Hanifin or do you go for Strome/Marner and use the other picks for D? Guys like Jeremy Roy, Thomas Chabot among others could turn out to be better d-men in the long run and, like you, I believe more in the D that are ranked late 1st / 2nd round than the forwards. Taking Strome/Marner or even trading down and taking Crouse/Zacha and then later on picking up two defensemen with PIT 1st and one of our 2nd's could be a better option than going Hanifin-Boeser-Chlapik for instance. Really tough call. Not that you necessarily can't pick more D if you select Hanifin or vice versa, but still. I think, taking a lottery ticket on two d-men with PIT 1st and one of our 2nd's gives us a pretty good shot at getting one really good d-man at least. Either way, I'm happy with both scenarios. There's so many good prospects in this draft it's hard to go wrong.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hanifin, no doubt will be a top 4 D for us in 2-3 years time. For now, sign 2 top 4 free agents please.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I get the risk of drafting high on d-men, but I think we need to pick the player that has the best shot of becoming a true #1 d-man in the NHL, as there is no way we'll ever be able to trade for a player like that.

I really like Nurse, Klefbom, and Marincin, and I think they were all great picks, but as of now, at least, they probably won't be "true #1" defencemen in the NHL.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I get the risk of drafting high on d-men, but I think we need to pick the player that has the best shot of becoming a true #1 d-man in the NHL, as there is no way we'll ever be able to trade for a player like that.

I really like Nurse, Klefbom, and Marincin, and I think they were all great picks, but as of now, at least, they probably won't be "true #1" defencemen in the NHL.

This is my thinking as well.

Every elite team has that one premier defenceman. Nurse and Klefbom have top 4 potential, but I feel that they'll need another guy ahead of them.

Hanifin, Nurse, and Klefbom certainly have the potential to be a pretty deadly top 3. Marincin seems to be tracking well too. J. Schultz drastically needs his minutes cut and is a lightning rod for criticism, but he has put up decent point totals.

Simpson, Laleggia, Davidson, Musil, Oesterle, etc. are OK prospects, but I'll be very impressed if any of those guys end up more than a 5 or 6 on a REAL NHL team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think it really matters that much.

The only player in this draft that can significantly turn this disaster around is McDavid.

Strome, Hanifin ... good players ... not going to save this gong show though, maybe they can help in 2-3 years time.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I don't think it really matters that much.

The only player in this draft that can significantly turn this disaster around is McDavid.

Strome, Hanifin ... good players ... not going to save this gong show though, maybe they can help in 2-3 years time.

May get ripped for saying this but I don't think the forward core is too far off being competitive or is that bad at all. I think how bad our D are at transitioning the puck to them in stride or at all really just kills every breakout before it starts. I would say the only D we have who can move the puck decently are Schultz, Klef, Marincin, Fayne(just alright), and Petry when we had him. 3/5 are still pretty inexperienced and make mistakes could be from overthinking defensive responsibilities or panicking at times.

The team is doomed if we keep throwing younger players out there who don't have the experience and more significantly shelter. We shouldn't rely on any player we draft this year even if it is McDavid as if we landed him and MacT said thats it we are done for the summer we wouldn't move up more than 2-3 spots.

Really the summer banks on getting a damn #1 goalie and pray to god that we can somehow trade for or sign a Braun/Seabrook/Sekera/Martin then get a lesser guy like Oduya who at least can take a little pressure off some players. Otherwise we are back here next season.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
May get ripped for saying this but I don't think the forward core is too far off being competitive or is that bad at all. I think how bad our D are at transitioning the puck to them in stride or at all really just kills every breakout before it starts. I would say the only D we have who can move the puck decently are Schultz, Klef, Marincin, Fayne(just alright), and Petry when we had him. 3/5 are still pretty inexperienced and make mistakes could be from overthinking defensive responsibilities or panicking at times.

The team is doomed if we keep throwing younger players out there who don't have the experience and more significantly shelter. We shouldn't rely on any player we draft this year even if it is McDavid as if we landed him and MacT said thats it we are done for the summer we wouldn't move up more than 2-3 spots.

Really the summer banks on getting a damn #1 goalie and pray to god that we can somehow trade for or sign a Braun/Seabrook/Sekera/Martin then get a lesser guy like Oduya who at least can take a little pressure off some players. Otherwise we are back here next season.

Not sure why anyone would rip you, you seem to be pretty spot on.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
You always build from the back out so Hanifin.

Saying that, I am not convinced taking an American kid would be the correct move. US born players don't seem to adjust well to living in a 3rd world country like Canada.

Building this team on local talent that wants to be in Alberta, would ideally, be the best choice. For instance if the Oilers could of drafted - signed Western Canadian kids that would be in the Oilers best interest long term: Brodziak, Glencross, Dubnyk. Perhaps more recently go out of the way to draft kids like Comrie etc.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The only way I take Hanifin with our pick is if Pittsburgh wins the lottery and we take McDavid first. Otherwise Im in the Strome camp even though Ive always been critical of top ranked players on Jr. teams loaded with talent. A 6'3" centre is what the Oilers need to compete in the WC

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
The only way I take Hanifin with our pick is if Pittsburgh wins the lottery and we take McDavid first. Otherwise Im in the Strome camp even though Ive always been critical of top ranked players on Jr. teams loaded with talent. A 6'3" centre is what the Oilers need to compete in the WC

But Draisaitl is basically a couple inches shorter and couple inches wider.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If Button's opinion still mattered, he'd still be a GM in Calgary. Its funny that his most controversial pick is the one Edmonton is picking at.

I wish I could have watched more of Hanifin's game, but from what I saw, he looks like a perfect match for Darnell Nurse. A complementary player with a wicked stretch pass on a pairing with a skating defenseman that loves to hit and grind. those two on the breakout would have phenominal neutral zone penetration. pretty big boys, and that's without saying who would be playing in front of them.

I have been all for Provorov since the prospect game, but... how many offensively minded defensemen do we need? Hanifin's game statistically transitioned seamlessly. Provorov's blossomed on a possibly under-rated team. Provorov has a flair for the game from the blueline that I haven't seen in years. Great hockey IQ. To me... it looks like Provorov will get more points, but Hanifin will win more games. Its a tough call on a team that has a hard time scoring. But its also the team with the most goals scored against. it looks to me that right now if we had players that had an easier time getting the puck out of their end that we'd already have players that would have an easier time scoring.

As for the Strome/Draisaitl debate, Draisaitl carried his whole team on his back. this year that team was 9 points out of last place in their conference. And Draisaitl put up his points in a far more defensive league.

By my count we have 5 offensive minded d-men in Schultz, Hunt, Oesterle, Gernat, and LaLeggia. The thing is I'm not even sure if Schultz is going to cut the mustard in a top 4 capacity and I'm thinking we'd be lucky to get one of those other 4 to turn into a solid offensive bottom pairing d-man. The amount of offense we generate from our defense in comparison to other teams is a big area of weakness. To me we have 3 two-way d-men worth talking about in Klefbom, Nurse, and Simpson; then 2 shut down guys in Fayne and Marincin everyone else is either garbage or likely won't amount to being more then a 3rd pairing d-man. I don't think we have a legit top end powerplay quarterback d-man on our team or forthcoming prospect wise and I don't see Hanifin having that element either.

I re-watched a college game of Hanifin's I had recorded, it's hard to knock anything he does defensively his gap control, threat recognition, stick positioning, and ability to retrieve loose pucks are all top shelf for someone his age. He plays like a pro in these respects, that combined with his solid stretch outlet pass and capacity to always make the safe play he could easily be fast-tracked to the NHL, which is why I'm sure so many scouts like him, his offensive game though looks to be significantly lagging behind, offensively speaking I'd put him roughly on par with where Jeff Petry is currently, he has some tools that looks like they could be applied offensively but definitely leaves something to be desired. In watching the game he was given the liberty to post up on the half wall at even strength quite frequently, which is something you just don't see in the NHL this has the capacity to over-inflate his point totals down there cause he is going to be more involved in the play and will get more assists just having the play relayed through him. Hanifin has not looked particularly dangerous in any of the times I've watched him in generating offense directly from the blueline and while he does jump in on occasion he doesn't seem to have the natural inclination or instincts to know when is the perfect time to do so. His shot like Petry is pretty good power wise but he has similar problems with accuracy and finding the proper shooting lanes, his passes in the offensive zone are of the smart safe variety, but seem to lack the crisp quickness you like on the powerplay to force defenders to scramble to get back in position. I see him developing into a top pairing shut-down d-man with good mobility and good outlet passes, but anything above the 2nd powerplay unit is too much for him and offensively I could see him hovering just a little north of the 30 point mark for most of his career. While I do have a lot of respect for defensively strong d-men and I feel tons more confidant about Hanifin being an impact player then I did Luke Schenn or Erik Gudbransson in their respective draft years, taking d-men who lack that special offensive spark that early in the draft just makes me uneasy.

I'd take Marner and Provorov over Hanifin, Marner is just electric out there he's got some Patrick Kane kind of flair to him despite the fit not being great he just seems like he could easily become a franchise forward. Provorov is great offensively and he feels far from being clueless in the defensive zone, he's going to need more marinating time then Hanifin, but he just seems like he could be the total package, possibly a more physical puck rushing Mark Giordano.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Can't go wrong with either imo. You will see a quicker dividends with Strome though since he's a forward with NHL size

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Figures. The more I learn about the top prospects the more I want the one guy we cant get.

Eichel is exactly the kind of player we need.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia

Boston is in cap trouble and Adam McQuaid is a guy I target. We could get him for a reasonable price, is a tough Maritimer, and has been in a good system

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Boston is in cap trouble and Adam McQuaid is a guy I target. We could get him for a reasonable price, is a tough Maritimer, and has been in a good system
He also has family out here. Although I'm not sure how reasonable the price would be.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^i dunno, we kind of need top end d-men, but if McQuaid was brought in to *replace* Ference, then i could see it. the Oilers have spent too much money overpaying for support players like Pouliot, Ference, Fayne and Nikitin and some have worked out pretty good but some have not. personally i think we have more than enough bottom end players in our system that we don't need to overpay for more of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad