If The Oilers Pick At #3, Strome Or Hanifin?

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
This is kind of where I stand right now as well. Do you just take the safe pick in Hanifin or do you go for Strome/Marner and use the other picks for D? Guys like Jeremy Roy, Thomas Chabot among others could turn out to be better d-men in the long run and, like you, I believe more in the D that are ranked late 1st / 2nd round than the forwards. Taking Strome/Marner or even trading down and taking Crouse/Zacha and then later on picking up two defensemen with PIT 1st and one of our 2nd's could be a better option than going Hanifin-Boeser-Chlapik for instance. Really tough call. Not that you necessarily can't pick more D if you select Hanifin or vice versa, but still. I think, taking a lottery ticket on two d-men with PIT 1st and one of our 2nd's gives us a pretty good shot at getting one really good d-man at least. Either way, I'm happy with both scenarios. There's so many good prospects in this draft it's hard to go wrong.

doesn't one of the ranking services actually have Strome at #3? if we took Strome, then i am on board as well with picking a d-man like Jeremy Roy with the Pens pick. this appears to be a deep draft for d-men and i'd like to see the Oilers take maybe 2 but no more, we still have Nurse, Musil, Oesterle, Simpson, Davidson and LaLeggia all wanting spots on the NHL roster.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd rather see them pick Hanifin and then a forward with the Pens pick rather than the other way around. I think Hanifin > Strome and the forwards in that range > defenseman. (at least for us, because most of the D ranked in the mid 1st are left handed anyways)

Guys like Svechnikov, Harkins, Meier, Connor, Merkley, Barzal will be available if it stays in the 15-17 range.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^true dis. i guess it boils down to do the Oilers want the top end d-man, then a good forward, or do they want one of the top forwards, then a good d-man? i doubt too that they will take 2 of d-men or forwards with both the 1st round picks, but hey, this is the Oilers so who bloody knows??? :shakehead

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I'd rather see them pick Hanifin and then a forward with the Pens pick rather than the other way around. I think Hanifin > Strome and the forwards in that range > defenseman. (at least for us, because most of the D ranked in the mid 1st are left handed anyways)

Guys like Svechnikov, Harkins, Meier, Connor, Merkley, Barzal will be available if it stays in the 15-17 range.

I agree. It also makes a lot of sense given our organizational depth. At forward, we have the high-end guys but not the depth guys, and on defense, we have the depth guys but not the high-end guys. Adding Hanifin and one of the guys you listed would go a long ways towards solving both problems.

Plus, it just legitimately seems like Hanifin is the best pick. He sounds like the type of player who will tilt the ice on every shift. Strong skating, transition game, and offensive instincts? Sign me up. The thought of a future where one of Hanifin, Nurse, and Klefbom is on the ice at all times makes this season easier to bear.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I have not seen Hanifin play but I have seen Strome and Marner. If Hanifin is in the same league as these two then he must be amazing.

He is, he's the best player on a top NCAA team as a 17 year old. Good at everything, and has gotten better with each game. Players like him don't come around often.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Hanafin > Strome talent-wise IMO. He's a 1st overall caliber talent.

Hanafin, Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, Schultz (if he sticks) would be awesome to build around.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

to me it boils down to this, the Oilers need to make sure they don't get into the same habits and draft the same players over and over. what don't they have? a potential #1 d-man, and this is as good a draft as any to get one! for this reason i'd be mildly surprised if they didn't take Hanifin.

they also don't have any right shooting d-men in the system (correct me if i'm wrong here). a guy like Jeremy Roy would fit the bill here in spades and the Oilers are likely eyeballing him a lot as the draft approaches with the Pens pick.

what else? big wingers with talent. Guys like Crouse, Meier, Bittner, Greenway, Zacha and Rantanen fit the bill here. as much as i like guys like guys like Brandon Carlo, we already have a similar, big, tough, but a little more offensively gifted d-man in Darnell Nurse, but the difference is Carlo shoots right.

and i have heard before that the Oilers like Jansen Harkins, who's said to be perhaps the best 2 way player in the draft? but we already have a similar couple of yet to be signed players in Marco Roy and Jackson Houck.

just my opinions guys. bash away! :facepalm: :lol:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I've decided if I'd prefer the safe pick in Strome over Hanafin.

Defencemen that aren't a consensus #1 are far from guarantees, we all know the examples. CHL centers picked top-5 virtually always pan out.
I refuse to believe that one of RNH, Draisaitl and Strome can't return a top-3 defenceman by the time people are expecting Hanafin to become one.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
I want them to draft Provorov. I think he'll be better than Hanafin.

Who would you rather have:

Jay Boumeester (Hanafin)
Drew Doughty (Provorov)

If they could trade down to get him that's fine but I like him at 3.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Jay Boumeester (Hanafin)
Drew Doughty (Provorov)

That's such a bogus comparison...

Edit:
Craig button drops the B word and that's all people seem to focus on... Hanifin himself said he models his game after Doughty (who's a much better comparable than Bouwmeester). Even then, you're putting far to much stock in comparables with that argument.

Here's some scouts thoughts on those comparisons.

“For an old school guy, he’s maybe like a Rob Blake kind of guy,†a Western Conference amateur scout said. “That big, that strong can skate, can do it both ways. Just one of those big horses every good team in the league has one or more of those guys. He’s going to be one of those guys who will be a fixture for a long time you can rely on a lot and using in all situations. “

Oh the horror, a Rob Blake-type player on your blueline for the next 10 seasons. Didn’t he just get elected into the Hall of Fame and have his number retired by Los Angeles?

There’s a lot of facets to Hanifin’s game, so many that for some it’s hard to figure out how he will look at the NHL level, because he can do so much as a blueliner.

“The thing with Noah is he’s hard to, what I would call … pinpoint a comparable to him. He’s a good mixture of a lot of hall of famers and a lot of future hall of famers,†NHL central scouting director Dan Marr said, going big and bold. “For me, he’s a real old school, old soul player who is excelling in today’s game, and when I say that, he just has that composure on the ice with and without the puck and is never rattled. He rarely makes mistakes, he’s rarely out of position. And when he does get into a position where he has to recover, he can do it quickly.
“

Last edited:

Macblender

May 5, 2014
That's such a bogus comparison...[/QUOTE

Yeah you're right. Only their skating is comparable. Hanafin hasn't shown the offensive flair that jay bo had at 17/18.

Hahaha ya doing something only 1 other D has done in the past 15 years NCAA wise in points is not showing offensive flair. Werenski is the only other guy to play at 17/18 in a league filled with guys much more physically mature and developed. Edit: and as 40Oz has said in the last decade there is 3 D who played at that age the other was dillon simpson. Hanifin was 5 points off of leading his whole team in points on a low scoring team which didn't inflate his totals.

He has put up better numbers at 17/18 than any D in the whole NHL did in there draft+1 season (18/19) has put up in the NCAA and there are names like Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, Trouba, etc on that list.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
and i have heard before that the Oilers like Jansen Harkins, who's said to be perhaps the best 2 way player in the draft? but we already have a similar couple of yet to be signed players in Marco Roy and Jackson Houck.

The problem is that this line of thinking leads to taking Musil rather than Jenner. We already had Lander. If Harkins turns out to be a player, there are a lot of ways to make that lineup work. I'm not convinced he'd be the best pick at that point, but having Roy and Houck shouldn't be the reason not to draft him.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Jay Boumeester (Hanafin)
Drew Doughty (Provorov)

Ya, but Hanifins downside is Boumesster. While Provornov is unlikly to ever get close to Doughty status.

ps, people are underrating Hanifin, If he was drafted last yer he might have went ahead or just behind Ekblad. He is that good, he played on a subpar team that didn't score much. The guy has unreal skating ability and hockey sense. HE will be a number 1 Dman in the NHL. I would be very exited to get him. AS metioned I would take Marner at 4. Strome and 5 and provorov at 6

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Keep in mind the average age for a NCAA hockey freshman is 20. Hanifin started at 17.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I choose...
1.0x0.jpg

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
id rather draft strome, move up with penguins pick try get top 10 pick for provorov or draft rasmus anderson with penguins pick.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I compiled a list of the top 3 defensemen and top 3 centres in the past 5 years out of curiosity:

D
Gudbranson
Mcllrath
Gormley

C
Seguin
Johansen
Skinner

D
Larsson
Hamilton
Brodin

C
Nuge
Huberdeau
Ryan Strome

D
Ryan Murray
G Reinhart
M Rielly

C
Galchenyuk
Grigorenko
Girgensons

D
Jones
Nurse
Ristolainen

C
Mackinnen
Barkov
Monahan

D
Ekblad
Fluery
Honka

C
Reinhart
Draisaitl
Bennet

Take from it whatever you like I just thought it was kind of interesting. Ekblad was really the only defensemen to come in and play top 4. A lot of defensemen still aren't playing regularly.

I'd take Strome with 3rd/4th overall. Followed by Chabot/Roy with the Pits 1st. Then I want to grab Blackwood with our 2nd.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Jay Boumeester (Hanafin)
Drew Doughty (Provorov)

This is why comparisons are a double edged sword. Just because a player shows the same style doesn't mean that they are a carbon copy of that player.

Besides, Haninfin is more Pietrangelo. If Provorov is still available at 8-9 I wonder if we can move up. I would do the 14th and the 33rd for the 8th.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
This is why comparisons are a double edged sword. Just because a player shows the same style doesn't mean that they are a carbon copy of that player.

Besides, Haninfin is more Pietrangelo. If Provorov is still available at 8-9 I wonder if we can move up. I would do the 14th and the 33rd for the 8th.

^ooooo....that's a bit steep! i think i'd just pick Chabot, Zboril or Roy with the Pens pick if we take Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad