Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
We are absolutely a better team this year. Just look at the players we have now that we didn't then.

The best thing for our 3rd line would be Henrique getting healthy. Adding Henrique to the 3rd line with McLeod and Foegele would give that line a boost and some direction where they are lacking right now.
the coming out party for holloway makes henrique a 3rd line lock. happy for the kid one day ill go back to the draft thread and re-quote the plethora of people saying he was a 4th line player drafted in the first round

Reactions: Oilhawks

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
My father hates the Dallas Stars ever since I was a kid.
I was too young to really know anything about hockey, but I can still remember his face after seeing Derian Hatcher was shown on the TV. Don't think he's hated a hockey player from that team more than that guy.

Reactions: McDrai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think that time out last night probably saved the season. They were wilting and needed something. It was a simple move but very effective.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time McLeod gets against the Stars. I've been a fan of his in the past but it seems to me that he has taken a huge step back in terms of both offense and defense.

I get the feeling that the goalie controversy will rear its ugly head again within the next week.
Game 7 early McLeod makes a hit on Hughes, a good hit, Hughes coughs up puck, and McLeod feeds Ryan in front of net. Its the 5th time he's fed somebody in front in series and no cash. He's had a few chances himself not going but been doing enough to stay in lineup.

McLeod is one of our better pk players and he's generally good in zone outs and entries. It was an uncharacteristic play.

But people wanted more physicality and he's hitting and almost got into a fight. We know he can play he got 30pts, and thats the 2nd best production in our bottomsix. Plus he's swiss army knife.

Other than that one play what is the indication that McLeod has taken a step back defensively. He very rarely gets scored on.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
the coming out party for holloway makes henrique a 3rd line lock. happy for the kid one day ill go back to the draft thread and re-quote the plethora of people saying he was a 4th line player drafted in the first round
Absolutely. I love Holloway's game right now. He's looking like he could be a good, long term scoring winger for us.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I go to the Sportsnet app thinking it would have a bunch of Oilers articles this morning. Imagine my surprise that half the page is filled with Canucks interviews. Somebody want to let SN know it was the Oilers that won and are on the way to WCF please
Every broadcaster was like that. CBC (0f course hate anything Alberta) Global, CTV etc. All the talk was Canucks, how close they came and all that. You'd think there was only one team in the series or one Canadian team.

This is not a new phenomenon either. Its been a dynamic in Canada since the Eskimos defeated the beloved Montreal Allouettes in 3 straight grey cups in 54, 55, 56. My dad told me all the press was about the AL's and that the Eskimos didn't have a chance. Despite winning all 3 consecutive Grey Cups.

The worse thing is it goes way beyond sports. We're the dump on province that gets zero credit for anything and nothing good comes from here...Dirty Oil Oilers. Thats the actual attitude in some parts of the country.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
I think the Oilers are being vastly underrated here, and the Stars are being vastly overrated.

Everyone is saying Vancouver and LA were pushovers..? Based on what?
No teams are pushovers....I think the Oilers-Dallas series could be very close if the Oilers play the excellent forechecking and defensive game they had in LA and in games 6 and 7 with the Canucks. If the Oilers PP clicks again....

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I was too young to really know anything about hockey, but I can still remember his face after seeing Derian Hatcher was shown on the TV. Don't think he's hated a hockey player from that team more than that guy.
Please no....guys like me hear the name Hatcher and it gives us a lot of PTSD.....We don't speak of such people

Reactions: McAsuno

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I know. But we are a much worse team than we were that year in the playoffs too.
First you said we are losing to LA in 7. Then the Oilers don’t have it in them to win game 6 against the Nucks. Now it’s the Oilers are getting swept and have no chance against the Stars. We’re going to win and the first thing you say will be “But we have no chance against Florida / Rangers”.

Do you ever give it a rest?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Every broadcaster was like that. CBC (0f course hate anything Alberta) Global, CTV etc. All the talk was Canucks, how close they came and all that. You'd think there was only one team in the series or one Canadian team.

This is not a new phenomenon either. Its been a dynamic in Canada since the Eskimos defeated the beloved Montreal Allouettes in 3 straight grey cups in 54, 55, 56. My dad told me all the press was about the AL's and that the Eskimos didn't have a chance. Despite winning all 3 consecutive Grey Cups.

The worse thing is it goes way beyond sports. We're the dump on province that gets zero credit for anything and nothing good comes from here...Dirty Oil Oilers. Thats the actual attitude in some parts of the country.

Front page on sportsnet is typical leafs jerking contest. Berube this, Berube that. Apparently that's more important than two other Canadian teams battling it out with the Oilers succeeding in G7. So typical as always.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Is the SN Oiler hate really because the Leafs didn't get Mcdavid? It's absolutely gross

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Derian Hatcher is a jerk. He sprayed water on me from the penalty box one game as he was trying to get the drunk guys sitting behind him who were harassing him all game. Totally soaked me. What a jerk.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

It’s funny because TSN used to be this way but if you look on their app/site it’s all Oilers related. Goes to show SN sure switched loyalties after they got the contract because it used to be the opposite.

Reactions: Oilhawks

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
First you said we are losing to LA in 7. Then the Oilers don’t have it in them to win game 6 against the Nucks. Now it’s the Oilers are getting swept and have no chance against the Stars. We’re going to win and the first thing you say will be “But we have no chance against Florida / Rangers”.

Do you ever give it a rest?
This is good though, it's working!

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oh it certainly will. Skinner is living in an imaginary world where be played "good" in game 6 and 7.

The teams unofficial strategy is "for the love of God don't make him face shots". He did nothing in game 6 and nearly cost us the game in 7 once again.

How silovs can bail out his team like on the brown breakaway or kulak robbery - skinner just can't do that.

I hope they got to Pickard very quickly if he let's in 2 quickly in game 1.
Not much doubt in my mind that Silovs is better than Skinner. The next week shall offer more insight wrt Skinner.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012

This is weird given that the Oilers roster is predominantly Canadian born and trained players while the "Canucks" are predominantly American born and trained.

What rubbed me the wrong way is what JT Miller said in an interview post game 4: "...we deserved to win." Sure the Canucks won but that is one game and they blew the next two. No need for this arrogance and show less arrogance given your Canadian market....

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Dallas is the superior team on paper but I assure you the team isn’t just “happy to be here”, and the fans should be either. Year 9 of Mcdrai and you can tell they want to win. Expectation has to be to compete for a cup. Flaws and all, we’re one of the last 4 teams standing for a reason. Let’s get it.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Add to that, most of these media people grew up in the 80's when the Oilers were winning everything and their teams (mostly Leafs fans) were complete trash, that hatred (Jealousy) has carried over into adulthood and they can't hide their biases. They try, but every compliment is a backhanded one, and they can't help themselves but root for any team that happens to be playing the Oilers.

The perfect example of all of this is the number of trash articles that came out of TSN and Sportsnet when the Oilers won the McDavid lottery. The absolute vitriol that was spewed from the supposed national media was insane.

The Eastern hate of the Oilers runs deep and they will ALWAYS side with whatever team is playing the Oilers; it's sad that our only 2 networks in Canada have zero journalistic integrity and can't keep their biases out of their broadcasts.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Absolutely. I love Holloway's game right now. He's looking like he could be a good, long term scoring winger for us.
He's been a pleasant surprise for the Oilers but part of the reason is that he's getting more playing time and is occasionally on the ice with some very talented players.

Holloway and the Nuge played very well in the 2nd half of the series--just in time.

I'm picking the Oilers to win in 7 but as I said before, get ready for some more goalie controversy.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Every series and matchup is different. Oilers just have to find a hole in Dallas' game plan and exploit it. Stars are the favourite, but the Oil will have arguably the top three players in the series. All it takes for a great team to be knocked out is to run into the wrong opponent, and Edmonton can be that opponent for Dallas.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Game 7 early McLeod makes a hit on Hughes, a good hit, Hughes coughs up puck, and McLeod feeds Ryan in front of net. Its the 5th time he's fed somebody in front in series and no cash. He's had a few chances himself not going but been doing enough to stay in lineup.

McLeod is one of our better pk players and he's generally good in zone outs and entries. It was an uncharacteristic play.

But people wanted more physicality and he's hitting and almost got into a fight. We know he can play he got 30pts, and thats the 2nd best production in our bottomsix. Plus he's swiss army knife.

Other than that one play what is the indication that McLeod has taken a step back defensively. He very rarely gets scored on.
We are going to need him against Dallas and I think he will actually be at his most effective in a fast pace series where puck control and zone entries/exits are important

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Add to that, most of these media people grew up in the 80's when the Oilers were winning everything and their teams (mostly Leafs fans) were complete trash, that hatred (Jealousy) has carried over into adulthood and they can't hide their biases. They try, but every compliment is a backhanded one, and they can't help themselves but root for any team that happens to be playing the Oilers.

The perfect example of all of this is the number of trash articles that came out of TSN and Sportsnet when the Oilers won the McDavid lottery. The absolute vitriol that was spewed from the supposed national media was insane.

The Eastern hate of the Oilers runs deep and they will ALWAYS side with whatever team is playing the Oilers; it's sad that our only 2 networks in Canada have zero journalistic integrity and can't keep their biases out of their broadcasts.
The Eastern hate runs so deep that the most vocal opponents of the Oilers even entering the league came from the Leafs and Habs. Mostly the Leafs under Ballard who hated the Oilers even before they joined and was foremost in an NHL Managers view that the Oilers and the merger upstarts "should be made to pay!"

So that we were hated before we won one game in the NHL. They'd also stripped our roster down to one forward and one goalie. The NHL teams got to draft all the playres they wanted from the WHA clubs who were afforded a protection list of only 2 skaters and one goalie. The Oilers even lost Bengt Ake Gustaffson who they had on protection list as Washington had at one point drafted him.

The anger was that the Oilers even existed.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Every series and matchup is different. Oilers just have to find a hole in Dallas' game plan and exploit it. Stars are the favourite, but the Oil will have arguably the top three players in the series. All it takes for a great team to be knocked out is to run into the wrong opponent, and Edmonton can be that opponent for Dallas.
the hole is their PK, its a massive gaping hole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad