If The Oilers Pick At #3, Strome Or Hanifin?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
what happens if they could get OEL/Hamilton/Jones for that pick
you wouldn't do it?

The pick won't getting us those players without a significant add just because they are further developed. OEL would require 3rd+Yak and that probably still won't get us OEL. And unfortunately Oilers are not an OEL away from being a good team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The pick won't getting us those players without a significant add just because they are further developed. OEL would require 3rd+Yak and that probably still won't get us OEL. And unfortunately Oilers are not an OEL away from being a good team.
we'd be a heck of a lot closer than if we drafted Hanifin...who may or may not turn out to be as good as him
an OEL-type defenseman would do wonders for our defense and accelerate the re-build

top-pairing guys like don't come around too often...especially 23-year old ones

I'd be willing to give up A TON to get him

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
You don't take Hanifin because the Oilers "need" him more. You take him because he's as the BPA. He's a rare package of defensive play, offensive ability, size and elite skating.

If the team wants to win NOW. And the pick is part of those plans, then it should only be in a trade. Perhaps in a package for that #1 D. Because whoever they pick at 3 or 4. Strome or Hanifin or Marner. These players are not going to help make the Oilers a competitive team in the short term.

Pick who is going to be the best player for the next 10 years. Not for the next 2 or 3.

^i think when players appear to be as closely matched as Strome and Hanifin are talent wise, but different positions, it indeed boils down to 'need'. and need isn't a bad word in drafting either, though there are some who absolutely believe you MUST take the BPA at all costs.

good point about the next 10 years because if i'm not mistaken and correct me if i'm wrong here, but doesn't Craig Button rank his players on his draft list exactly this way....who will have the better NHL career long term? he has Marner and Srome and Provorov ahead of Hanifin....interesting.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Hanifin's numbers aren't off the charts but let's not forget he was a 17-18 year old underager playing against 21 and 22 year olds

If we pick him at #3, I'd probably tell him to go back and refine his game and dominate college and play in the WJHC again
bring him up full-time next year

Curious why you do not think Hanifins numbers aren't off the charts? There is no reference point to what Werenski and him are doing as only dylan simpson played college as a 17 year old in the last 10 years.

Noah Hanifin is sitting tied for 22nd overall in Dman scoring in the NCAA div 1 as a 17/18 year old that is off the charts IMO as a couple guys in front of him played on much higher scoring teams and have more GP.

For example Werenski sits 14th also off the charts played on a team that averaged slightly more than a Goal per game more.

Completely agree on him going back to college or to the AHL for a year to get him ready.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Do you trust the Oilers management to actually make a good trade though? Thats the problem with trading picks or trading their good young players.

I dont really mind them trading late firsts or seconds for actual NHL players because I dont trust their drafting (beyond a top 5 pick) either ...

I wouldn't trust Oiler's management to take care of my pet rock, but at some point they need to stop throwing 18 year olds into the lineup. It's an addiction at this point. One more high pick and we'll take the next step. Then the next year comes and it's like groundhog day.

With such a deep draft does it not make sense to explore the possibility of trading down and picking up a solid roster player while dumping a useless player like Purcell or Nikitin. The Oilers don't need another point producing forward, which is what you'd get at the top of the draft, and defensemen are really a crapshoot. As much as people hate to hear it a player like Crouse or Zacha are what the Oilers need up front, and although we need a couple top pairing defensemen, Hanifin will take 4-6 years to become that player.

I would like to see the Oilers get a power forward in his prime right now and one for the future by trading down.

Something like 3rd overall and Schultz to Philly for 8th overall and Simmonds. Draft Zacha/Crouse. Trade the Pitts pick plus for a solid two way center like Hanzal/Dubinsky. Trade Yak or Eberle plus picks/prospects for a defenseman/goalie.

Hall Hanzal Simmonds
Pouliot RNH Eberle/Yak

That is a top 6 that could compete in the west.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly I'd take Hanifin at 3 and Werenski at 4.

Obviously Marner, Strome and others like Meier/Barzal are also excellent prospects but a solid top pairing dman is what should be on the Oilers radar and Hanifin/Werenski are the best bets to become that.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
At three the discussion should be between Hanifin and Provorov for the Oilers. Both guys look like they have unreal upside.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I'd go Strome at this point. Regarded as a #1 future centerman with size. I would rather use a good prospect to get a defensive prospect further along his development.
I'm in the minority here though.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I'd take Hanifin although I don't necessarily agree that the choice would be between him and Strome.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I understand we need the #1 D but at this point in the rebuild by the time Hanifin is ready to be the stud that we need in the blueline. Hall, Nuge and Eberle would be gone. I'll take Strome because he's faster to develop. Also Don't tell me the kids are going to wait for Hanifin.... because that's is a fantasy. They want to win NOW! Trade for that #1D just my 2 cents...

I think they've already written off the Hall, Ebs window, and the plan is to trade them, eventually, to supplement the younger core of Nuge, Klef, Yak, Nurse, Drai, and Hanifin.

They've made such a mess of the 2013-16 years, I have to say I somewhat agree with them. Like Eakins said: 'this team is what it is'. The damage is done. There is no quick fix. I just wish the OBC didn't get the opportunity to clean up their own mess.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Here are the #1 D, C, and W of all the cup winning teams since the lockout.

Doughty, Kopitar, Gaborik
Keith, Toews, Kane
Doughty, Kopitar, Brown
Chara, Krejci, Lucic
Keith, Toews, Kane
Gonchar, Crosby, Kunitz
Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Franzen
Pronger, Getzlaf, Selanne
Hedican, Staal, Williams

I see a pretty underwhelming group of wingers, with Kane being the only star. I see a good group of centers but Crosby/Datsyuk are probably the only guys who were top 5 at their position. Then you look at the D and see nothing but the best of the best. Gonchar and Hedican stick out but neither probably wins if Roloson/Datsyuk aren't injured in the finals.

I think a #1 dman is the most important piece in all of hockey. They can control the entire game, and they play the most minutes. Not sure if Hanifin will be that guy, but you have to take that chance IMO.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
For how stupid he is, his weird rankings sometimes turn out to be true. I remember there being a thread about it on the main boards a while ago.

I feel like that is the scouting community as a whole they all have there hits and misses.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Didnt we just ask this question a couple weeks ago? Hanifin won easily, it's no contest.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I'd go Strome at this point. Regarded as a #1 future centerman with size. I would rather use a good prospect to get a defensive prospect further along his development.
I'm in the minority here though.

One really intresting quote I heard last week,

Kyle Woodlief was asked by Stauffer if he would take Draisatl or Strome, he said without a doubt Draisatl.

Im a huge Strome fan and was frankly shocked, still am shocked.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Didnt we just ask this question a couple weeks ago? Hanifin won easily, it's no contest.

things change daily here.
a couple weeks ago Strome didnt have the 6pt game to win the OHL scoring title.
a couple weeks ago Hanifin wasnt ranked 12th by Button.
Marner didnt have 15pts in 6 playoffs games.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
One really intresting quote I heard last week,

Kyle Woodlief was asked by Stauffer if he would take Draisatl or Strome, he said without a doubt Draisatl.

Im a huge Strome fan and was frankly shocked, still am shocked.

Did he say why?
anyone can claim anything... makes no sense without a reasoning. Stauffer is just a commentator and isnt anything like MacKenzie. Not the Bob I have faith in.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
As much as I hate myself for not taking the blatantly obvious choice.

We have Klefbom, Nurse, Marty for lefties .....f we can develop them properly....they are almost NHLers anyway.

So, I actually don't mind the Strome pick even though it seems like taking another forward is full-****** at first glance.

Strome/Drai-Yak is a pretty dece line if it can work. Strome plays wing with McD on occasion so maybe he can play on that line and be like our own mini-Marleau/guy who plays wing and c as needed.

Then if we can grab a goalie and a couple D with the next few picks ....like grab two of Andersson, Zboril, Carlo, Roy, Lindgren, Larsson, Juulsen etc. (depending on how high Pittsburghs pick is)...I think that sets you up as good...if not better.

I guess I'm saying there are a lot of good D available but I'm not really sure about forwards. I'd take Meier....Chlapik....maybe....but Meier won't be there...and the difference between Strome and Chlapik or Merkley or Harkins > difference between Hanifin and some of the other D, IMO.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Did he say why?
anyone can claim anything... makes no sense without a reasoning. Stauffer is just a commentator and isnt anything like MacKenzie. Not the Bob I have faith in.

I cant remember why Woodlief said he would take Drai over Strome, Stauffer didnt make the statement, Woodlief did, Stauffer just asked the question.

Im sure you could listen to it on 630 site, if you care to look it up?

Edit I guess it was more than a week ago lol, i must of listened to a replay

OilersNow ‏@OilersNow Mar 10
On if Strome is a better prospect than Draisaitl. "I would have taken Draisaitl over him." Kyle Woodlief on Oilers Now.
6 retweets 4 favorites
Reply Retweet6 Favorite4
More

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad