If The Oilers Pick At #3, Strome Or Hanifin?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think they've already written off the Hall, Ebs window, and the plan is to trade them, eventually, to supplement the younger core of Nuge, Klef, Yak, Nurse, Drai, and Hanifin.

They've made such a mess of the 2013-16 years, I have to say I somewhat agree with them. Like Eakins said: 'this team is what it is'. The damage is done. There is no quick fix. I just wish the OBC didn't get the opportunity to clean up their own mess.

Taylor Hall just turned 23. In September of 2019 he would be 27 years old. He could easily have 10 more very good years left in him from that point in.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Have to take the D man. Hanifin has size, skill, extremely high end skating ability, high end hockey IQ and what I like most of all is he is a positional defence first player.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
You need depth in the center position and on D to be successful in this league. Would prefer Hanifin, but would be ok with Strome as well.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I understand we need the #1 D but at this point in the rebuild by the time Hanifin is ready to be the stud that we need in the blueline. Hall, Nuge and Eberle would be gone. I'll take Strome because he's faster to develop. Also Don't tell me the kids are going to wait for Hanifin.... because that's is a fantasy. They want to win NOW! Trade for that #1D just my 2 cents...

Still don't understand this thought process at all. Why?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I am shocked he fell that far. The Oilers have selected draft 'fallers' before, and it never turns out well. There is always good reason. (ie. Schremp).

His reason all season for Hanifin falling has been lack of offence which historically if you look at the NCAA would be just plain wrong to say he is lacking offence especially if Werenski is being hailed as the best offensive D in the draft.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Button is just not a fan of that type of dman... imo.
I think he likes high event hard hitting types.

He didn't like Ryan Murray either.
He had Olli Maataa as a 2nd rounder for most of the season too.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Taylor Hall just turned 23. In September of 2019 he would be 27 years old. He could easily have 10 more very good years left in him from that point in.

The question is where he plays those 10 years. He's a ufa at the end of the 19/20 season and there are plenty of reasons why he might not want to sign here if he's already gone through a decade of futility, heck Eberle is probably gone at that point.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Surprised more are for Hanifin. I picked Strome just cause I think he is the safer pick.

But I will be happy with either.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I certainly don't mind Button's opinions, as they're usually very interesting to see.

But they're just opinions. In 2011 right before the draft he had Dougie Hamilton at 12 behind Baertschi, Beaulieu and Murphy (who was at 4). Then again, he had Kucherov at 17.

In 2012 he had Matt Finn at 9 ahead of Hampus Lindholm (10), Jacob Trouba (12), Ryan Murray (13) and Olli Maatta (28).

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I certainly don't mind Button's opinions, as they're usually very interesting to see.

But they're just opinions. In 2011 right before the draft he had Dougie Hamilton at 12 behind Baertschi, Beaulieu and Murphy (who was at 4). Then again, he had Kucherov at 17.

In 2012 he had Matt Finn at 9 ahead of Hampus Lindholm (10), Jacob Trouba (12), Ryan Murray (13) and Olli Maatta (28).

I think Dem is very right about the type of player Button likes in the more dynamic variety. Which would explain the ranking of some of these players. Also have to know that he is one guy compiling a huge list and doesn't rate guys he doesn't see much so with the amount of players he sees he won't see them all a ton maybe leading to some seen them good or bad assessments.

Found something interesting on the main board written by Kevin Shattenkirk about Elite defensemen and what makes them special where he breaks down multiple guys in a 2 part article. Of the guys in the article I have seen Hanifin compared to Suter, Pietrangelo, Doughty, and once Kieth but mostly due to stick work so that one who knows as it was a prospects thread comparison.

Here is the article: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/elite-defensemen-101-kevin-shattenkirk-nhl/

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
The Hanifin-Button thing worries me because I've never seen him play outside of that televised NCAA game where his team was playing Eichel's (and he was nondescript) and obviously WJC (again, nondescript). I have to go quite heavily off other people's opinions but it'll be very interesting to see final rankings of guys outside of Button. I know he gets a bad rap, but he does watch a lot of junior-level hockey.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Strome. I'm not sold on Hanfiin despite my good friend Cuppy trying to convince me otherwise. :)

Having said that, I think both are good but I'd rather have a big strong centre and pick D with our later picks. Hanifin seems like a can't lose pick though so I really am basing this off of personal preference in needing a big strong centre.

I also like Provorov a lot but I've seen a lot of him and not a lot of Hanifin so I'm pretty biased because I like that Provorov has some toughness and ability to clear the net.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
The Hanifin-Button thing worries me because I've never seen him play outside of that televised NCAA game where his team was playing Eichel's (and he was nondescript) and obviously WJC (again, nondescript). I have to go quite heavily off other people's opinions but it'll be very interesting to see final rankings of guys outside of Button. I know he gets a bad rap, but he does watch a lot of junior-level hockey.

I have the same concerns. I think they are valid but it'll be interesting to see the final rankings. ISS already has Hanifin at 4.....

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Hanifin.

The only way to acquire solid defenseman is by drafting them. Teams don't trade great d-men.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Hanifin.

The only way to acquire solid defenseman is by drafting them. Teams don't trade great d-men.

Except that time that we traded Chris Pronger. Or when he was traded to us ;)

Great D-men are hard to come by but solid ones you can and do trade for. I'm not saying that it'd be easy, but we've got potential in Schultz, Nurse and Klefbom (and to a lesser degree, some of our AHL or NCAA guys like Marincin or Laleggia). Throw Hanifin into the mix and we've got some really impressive potential back there but nobody proven to be ready for a real NHL role. Schultz has looked good from time to time and Klefbom seems solid considering his age but what we really need are solid vets to support them. Mark Fayne is one of those guys. Nikitin and Ference should be but aren't. We need better players to replace what Nikitin and Ference are supposed to be doing... providing leadership, mentorship and a calming, skilled presence. I don't think Hanifin is ready to do that.

I'm still saying draft him because I'm hoping he's the BPA and it's not like Strome will be any more ready to help us, but Hanifin won't fix anything for awhile here. We need to make a trade/signing to upgrade Ference and Nikitin.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
if Button's list was the same as Bob McKenzie's list, then he'd be out of a job

he's paid to have a different look at the draft

If Button's opinion still mattered, he'd still be a GM in Calgary. Its funny that his most controversial pick is the one Edmonton is picking at.

I wish I could have watched more of Hanifin's game, but from what I saw, he looks like a perfect match for Darnell Nurse. A complementary player with a wicked stretch pass on a pairing with a skating defenseman that loves to hit and grind. those two on the breakout would have phenominal neutral zone penetration. pretty big boys, and that's without saying who would be playing in front of them.

I have been all for Provorov since the prospect game, but... how many offensively minded defensemen do we need? Hanifin's game statistically transitioned seamlessly. Provorov's blossomed on a possibly under-rated team. Provorov has a flair for the game from the blueline that I haven't seen in years. Great hockey IQ. To me... it looks like Provorov will get more points, but Hanifin will win more games. Its a tough call on a team that has a hard time scoring. But its also the team with the most goals scored against. it looks to me that right now if we had players that had an easier time getting the puck out of their end that we'd already have players that would have an easier time scoring.

As for the Strome/Draisaitl debate, Draisaitl carried his whole team on his back. this year that team was 9 points out of last place in their conference. And Draisaitl put up his points in a far more defensive league.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hanifin

The player I really want is Eichel. The only way that happens is if we fall under Arizona and Buffalo wins the lottery though. I suppose we could trade up for the pick, but I don't think that trade could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad