If The Oilers Pick At #3, Strome Or Hanifin?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If I take Strome, I keep Leon because neither are guaranteed to be #1/2 C's and I'd like to see where the trend before moving either/or.

I take Hanifin. He's going to be good.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I want both so bad.

You can not pass on Hanafin at #3 though, hes exactly what this team needs.

Hanafin Nurse in the future, all we need is a dam goalie!

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm leaning Hanifin.

I think he's a little underrated offensively and plays what is already and extremely mature defensive game. Which is why he doesn't seem flashy.

Usually I'm adverse to the risk of taking a D this high.
But I also acknowledge that we're never going to get a #1 dman via trade. And I don't think we can draft one via scouting prowess.

The only way we have a chance at this is if we take one really high.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
I understand we need the #1 D but at this point in the rebuild by the time Hanifin is ready to be the stud that we need in the blueline. Hall, Nuge and Eberle would be gone. I'll take Strome because he's faster to develop. Also Don't tell me the kids are going to wait for Hanifin.... because that's is a fantasy. They want to win NOW! Trade for that #1D just my 2 cents...

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Hanifin is one of those rare guys who is going to be ready very quickly.. in terms of dmen anyway.

I'll take Hanifin if he is available.

I won't cry if we have to take Strome though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I love both but we need an anchor on defense...despite being a couple years away from being an impact defenseman, I take Hanifin

25-minute puck moving guys don't grow on trees

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
this poll is a no brainer..
real question would be who to draft at 4 if a non bottom 3 team wins the lotto.
Marner, Strome or Provorov

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Hanifin's numbers aren't off the charts but let's not forget he was a 17-18 year old underager playing against 21 and 22 year olds

If we pick him at #3, I'd probably tell him to go back and refine his game and dominate college and play in the WJHC again
bring him up full-time next year

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think I would rather have Hanifin, because I think the Oilers defense is terrible.

I'd like to see some interviews with the kids though.

Anyone whos seem them. Which has a higher compete level?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I understand we need the #1 D but at this point in the rebuild by the time Hanifin is ready to be the stud that we need in the blueline. Hall, Nuge and Eberle would be gone. I'll take Strome because he's faster to develop. Also Don't tell me the kids are going to wait for Hanifin.... because that's is a fantasy. They want to win NOW! Trade for that #1D just my 2 cents...

While Dmen maybe take longer, Hanifin and Strome are also not making the jump from the same level.

And the cost of a #1 Dman would see that 2/3rds of Hall, Nuge and Eberle are gone anyway.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
should we take Strome then use Leon as trade bait? should Leon even be trade bait? or just take Hanifin because we apparently 'need' him more? thoughts?

You don't take Hanifin because the Oilers "need" him more. You take him because he's as the BPA. He's a rare package of defensive play, offensive ability, size and elite skating.

If the team wants to win NOW. And the pick is part of those plans, then it should only be in a trade. Perhaps in a package for that #1 D. Because whoever they pick at 3 or 4. Strome or Hanifin or Marner. These players are not going to help make the Oilers a competitive team in the short term.

Pick who is going to be the best player for the next 10 years. Not for the next 2 or 3.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Could you add a "trade the god damn pick in an effort to get better now and not set the all time playoff drought record" option to the poll. That's what I would pick.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Could you add a "trade the god damn pick in an effort to get better now and not set the all time playoff drought record" option to the poll. That's what I would pick.

Do you trust the Oilers management to actually make a good trade though? Thats the problem with trading picks or trading their good young players.

I dont really mind them trading late firsts or seconds for actual NHL players because I dont trust their drafting (beyond a top 5 pick) either ...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

There's other prospects and picks for that. You don't pass up a D who's an Ekblad caliber player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Never draft for immediate impact, you draft for who is the best player and fit long term.

Whose to say that Strome has an earlier impact anyway? He has skating issues to overcome before he's ready to compete at an NHL pace.

For immediate improvement, the other picks in the first 3 rounds should all be up for grabs.

As has been touched on already, this is the Oilers opportunity to get a legit potential top pairing Dman and they won't be able to get one outside of the draft. Probable BPA and biggest need, Hanifin seems like a no brainer IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad