If The Oilers Pick At #3, Strome Or Hanifin?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hahaha ya doing something only 1 other D has done in the past 15 years NCAA wise in points is not showing offensive flair. Werenski is the only other guy to play at 17/18 in a league filled with guys much more physically mature and developed. Edit: and as 40Oz has said in the last decade there is 3 D who played at that age the other was dillon simpson. Hanifin was 5 points off of leading his whole team in points on a low scoring team which didn't inflate his totals.

He has put up better numbers at 17/18 than any D in the whole NHL did in there draft+1 season (18/19) has put up in the NCAA and there are names like Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, Trouba, etc on that list.
First thing is he plays the half wall on even strength which is highly unusual, he basically lines up on the opposite side of where Nuge lines up on the powerplay, I don't know if this is how he gets a lot of his points, but it certainly doesn't hurt his point totals. I also can't really recall any 17/18 yr old rookie in college seeing the kind of ice-time he does, he certainly deserves it with how well he looks after his own end, but few players are put in such a great position to succeed so early in their college careers.

If we draft Noah Hanifin, I don't think anyone but the most jaded fan will regret it, he's a special player and he's really got a great handle on the game and how it should be played, he is really strong for his age and is highly mobile. I have no doubt he will be a very good d-man and we will grow to love him, my contention is whether or not he will be the best defenseman taken in this draft in 5/6 years time. Are we going to be the team that drafts a Bogosian right before a Pietrangelo or an Adam Larsson over a Dougie Hamilton, the two picked earlier were closer to NHL ready, but the later two were rough around the edges and needed extra development time, but they both arrived as the more impactful players despite not being quite as highly touted.

Here's a great article on Hanifin and they praise him to high heaven, but in it they discuss the scouts concerns with him which are as follows:

1. Does he have high end offense and can he be a high end powerplay quarterback?

2. Does he have a nasty element to his game a-la Pronger, Stevens, Chelios?

The nastiness isn't a big issue to me, the game is changing and that kind of player is a dying breed, playing solid defense and being able to rub out or pin your man to regain possession of the puck are the important things and he routinely demonstrates he is capable of doing this, there are always those 3rd pairing d-men types who will prioritize physicality over defensive play if that's what you really want. Nastiness is a nice bonus, but really shouldn't be a driving factor at the draft table this early in the draft. I know his point totals look good, but from watching him I really do question his high end offensive upside, he is out there a ton and gets a lot of touches on the puck and doesn't turn it over much, but I don't see elite offensive vision out of him and he's not as scary when he sneaks down low in comparison to a Seth Jones or a pre-Oilers Justin Schultz; his shot is good, but he's not picking corners like Josh Morrissey or Ryan Murphy did. He doesn't walk the blue line and make those subtle adjustment to sneak shots through like Karlsson or Weber routinely do. Maybe those elements can be coached into him, I know I seen Weber probably 7-8 times before he made the NHL and while I fully believed he could become roughly what Boychuk is now, I never would of guessed in a million years he'd become one of the 3 best d-men in the NHL.

It seems to me in watching players come up it is really rare aside from that Weber example, that you see a player who doesn't basically scream out I have elite offense end up becoming that top shelf powerplay quarterback. It seems to be one of those things you either have it or you don't and while you can improve, it's very unlikely you will become that high end powerplay quarterback if you aren't demonstrating that capacity really early on in your career.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm expecting a decent d-man out of Hanifin. Not a star d-man per se, but a solid guy.

Maybe realistically along the lines of what Eric Brewer was during his Edmonton days. If he reaches his full l potential than yeah maybe a Viktor Hedman type, but I think it's unlikely to happen in this gong show of a situation, so a young Brewer-ish type is probably more of a realistic hope.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
my draft

Hanifin
Svechnikov, Harkins, Zacha
Juulsen
R.Anderson
Fischer
For the first 3 rds

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I essentially want the Oilers to come out of this draft with:

A no. 1-2 D (or at least a top pairing guy)
A no. 1 C, which RNH has yet to become.
And, a bigger forward with skill with the Pens pick: Rantanen, Meier, Greenway or Bittner.

So, Hanifin, Strome, Werenski and Provorov are all acceptable picks from my perspective in terms of guys to target with the no. 3 pick or a trade down scenario.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Where's the neither option? Trade the pick to end the forever rebuild. Personally, I see Marner becoming better than Strome so would rather go with him. I'm not sold on Strome's skill.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
First thing is he plays the half wall on even strength which is highly unusual, he basically lines up on the opposite side of where Nuge lines up on the powerplay, I don't know if this is how he gets a lot of his points, but it certainly doesn't hurt his point totals. I also can't really recall any 17/18 yr old rookie in college seeing the kind of ice-time he does, he certainly deserves it with how well he looks after his own end, but few players are put in such a great position to succeed so early in their college careers.

If we draft Noah Hanifin, I don't think anyone but the most jaded fan will regret it, he's a special player and he's really got a great handle on the game and how it should be played, he is really strong for his age and is highly mobile. I have no doubt he will be a very good d-man and we will grow to love him, my contention is whether or not he will be the best defenseman taken in this draft in 5/6 years time. Are we going to be the team that drafts a Bogosian right before a Pietrangelo or an Adam Larsson over a Dougie Hamilton, the two picked earlier were closer to NHL ready, but the later two were rough around the edges and needed extra development time, but they both arrived as the more impactful players despite not being quite as highly touted.

Here's a great article on Hanifin and they praise him to high heaven, but in it they discuss the scouts concerns with him which are as follows:

1. Does he have high end offense and can he be a high end powerplay quarterback?

2. Does he have a nasty element to his game a-la Pronger, Stevens, Chelios?

The nastiness isn't a big issue to me, the game is changing and that kind of player is a dying breed, playing solid defense and being able to rub out or pin your man to regain possession of the puck are the important things and he routinely demonstrates he is capable of doing this, there are always those 3rd pairing d-men types who will prioritize physicality over defensive play if that's what you really want. Nastiness is a nice bonus, but really shouldn't be a driving factor at the draft table this early in the draft. I know his point totals look good, but from watching him I really do question his high end offensive upside, he is out there a ton and gets a lot of touches on the puck and doesn't turn it over much, but I don't see elite offensive vision out of him and he's not as scary when he sneaks down low in comparison to a Seth Jones or a pre-Oilers Justin Schultz; his shot is good, but he's not picking corners like Josh Morrissey or Ryan Murphy did. He doesn't walk the blue line and make those subtle adjustment to sneak shots through like Karlsson or Weber routinely do. Maybe those elements can be coached into him, I know I seen Weber probably 7-8 times before he made the NHL and while I fully believed he could become roughly what Boychuk is now, I never would of guessed in a million years he'd become one of the 3 best d-men in the NHL.

It seems to me in watching players come up it is really rare aside from that Weber example, that you see a player who doesn't basically scream out I have elite offense end up becoming that top shelf powerplay quarterback. It seems to be one of those things you either have it or you don't and while you can improve, it's very unlikely you will become that high end powerplay quarterback if you aren't demonstrating that capacity really early on in your career.

Halfwall on even strength? If you mean power play the games I have seen he was at the point maybe you saw him on the left side but that seems unusual as a left handed player to be on the left half boards you have worse angles for shooting and passing. When you talk about not being able to walk the line well I did not notice that and from scouting reports its one of the things he excels at getting his shot through and walking the line due to his mobility.

He was able to get such opportunity in prime minutes on his team because he was quite literally the best player on his team as a 17 year old so it wasn't that he was put in that position he earned it and forced his coach to play him that much on a D-line that contains some very high draft picks and good players. His point totals if anything are less than they should be due to a team that does not have a lot of firepower up front and was pretty low scoring.

He has demonstrated the capacity I would say and I question whether if he didn't stray from the usual route and go to college early because he fast tracked and teared up the USDP again do people even question his offence. While I agree on the fact that he may not be the best PP quarterback what is wrong with a Pietrangelo type defensemen who still puts up between 40-50 points a year and can run your second unit or first if you have 2 D on it. If he improves his one timer and shot a little he could run a 1PP. Nastiness isn't a big deal to me either.

Lastly I understand the worry about others being better then him in the long run I am concerned about it too as I really like Provorov and wouldn't be unhappy if they take him 3rd. People may think I defend Hanifin excessively but I really just don't get people discount his offence and just because there will probably be better guys at running your power play he is still elite.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Where's the neither option? Trade the pick to end the forever rebuild. Personally, I see Marner becoming better than Strome so would rather go with him. I'm not sold on Strome's skill.

Trading the #3/#4 is a matter of who is available. Everybody likes throwing out these random proposals for guys like Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Brent Seabrook but there's zero indication these guys are on the board at all. In fact, it's a very quiet year in terms of "names" that might be moved.

Which says to me the #3 (or #4 or #1 depending what happens next week) has no shot at being traded, and neither does Eberle, Hall or RNH. Thank god.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm expecting a decent d-man out of Hanifin. Not a star d-man per se, but a solid guy.

Maybe realistically along the lines of what Eric Brewer was during his Edmonton days. If he reaches his full l potential than yeah maybe a Viktor Hedman type, but I think it's unlikely to happen in this gong show of a situation, so a young Brewer-ish type is probably more of a realistic hope.

We should be expecting more than that IMO. Not right away mind you, but in 2-3 years.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

That's pretty bad, if young Brewer is his upside. Brewer was not even a legitimate No.2 d-man.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I like Hanifin, but I'm worried about his physical game. There was a scout on 630 ched (I think it was ched) and he said that Hanifin is essentially a more passive Jay Bouwmeester. If that's true, then yikes: they don't come much more passive the Ol' JBo.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I like Hanifin, but I'm worried about his physical game. There was a scout on 630 ched (I think it was ched) and he said that Hanifin is essentially a more passive Jay Bouwmeester. If that's true, then yikes: they don't come much more passive the Ol' JBo.

And they compare Strome to Spezza. So you have a college Dman who may go back to college and wont likely help the team and is suggested to play a softer game, yet one takes him cause hes on Bob
McKenzies list? Unless he is projecting to be a Doughty type, which i dont think he has that offensive game, then why not take the big skilled centre???? Big skilled centres are a premium...

If they could move back 3-5 slots and get a Provorov and another asset that would work.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
And they compare Strome to Spezza. So you have a college Dman who may go back to college and wont likely help the team and is suggested to play a softer game, yet one takes him cause hes on Bob
McKenzies list? Unless he is projecting to be a Doughty type, which i dont think he has that offensive game, then why not take the big skilled centre???? Big skilled centres are a premium...

If they could move back 3-5 slots and get a Provorov and another asset that would work.

I'm struggling to think of one time in history that actually worked for anyone.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Duncan Keith isn't physical.. Pietrangelo isn't physical.. Ekman-Larsson isn't physical.. Physicality isn't a factor in picking Hanifin. He has all the tools a defenseman needs to play 25+ minutes a night. It's a no-brainer that Hanifin is our pick unless we win the lottery, or someone behind us wins and ARZ takes Hanifin before us (which I doubt).

You take Hanifin and send him back to college.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Duncan Keith isn't physical.. Pietrangelo isn't physical.. Ekman-Larsson isn't physical.. Physicality isn't a factor in picking Hanifin. He has all the tools a defenseman needs to play 25+ minutes a night. It's a no-brainer that Hanifin is our pick unless we win the lottery, or someone behind us wins and ARZ takes Hanifin before us (which I doubt).

Physicality isn't a factor if you think he's gonna put up points like those 3 guys.

But if he doesn't, then its kind of a bigger deal.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

All the players you've mentioned are physical players, especially Keith, who can be really nasty. None of them are passive, in that they play a game that avoids physical contact. Bouwmeester does--there is a reason why he had such a long iron man streak. No one compares the players you've mentioned with Bouwmeester, who is the archetypal soft defenseman. Hanifin was said to be even more passive than him.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Anyone have a list of highly touted college d-men? I'd be curious how many there have been and theyre liklihood of panning out.

EDIT: Just checked it out and there hasn't been a single college d-man drafted in the top 10 since Ryan Whitney in 2002.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What about seeing if there is a trade out there for Draisaitl that will return a potential top pairing defenceman. Then use the pick to draft Strome if they think that he'll be better then Draisaitl.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
All the players you've mentioned are physical players, especially Keith, who can be really nasty. None of them are passive, in that they play a game that avoids physical contact. Bouwmeester does--there is a reason why he had such a long iron man streak. No one compares the players you've mentioned with Bouwmeester, who is the archetypal soft defenseman. Hanifin was said to be even more passive than him.

The only one comparing Hanifin to Jbo is Button. If you think Hanifin avoids physical contact you have never watched him play. Hanifin never loses battles extremely strong on puck. Avoids physical contact? Embarrassing!

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The only one comparing Hanifin to Jbo is Button. If you think Hanifin avoids physical contact you have never watched him play. Hanifin never loses battles extremely strong on puck. Avoids physical contact? Embarrassing!

If Button said that, then there are at least two people making that claim. The person I heard make the claim that Hanifin is passive was not Button. I can't remember his name, but he is a pro scout and was on the radio a few days ago.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I'm struggling to think of one time in history that actually worked for anyone.

Maybe, maybe not. All i know is this team is doing everything wrong, so maybe trying to gain an asset from a team like say Toronto or someone who may want to move up to get Strome. The Oilers need more NHL players.

On the other hand, you take him and in 2-3 years maybe he pans out. Patience is only a virtue for so long. Time to start winning.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
If Button said that, then there are at least two people making that claim. The person I heard make the claim that Hanifin is passive was not Button. I can't remember his name, but he is a pro scout and was on the radio a few days ago.

Well maybe you should watch him play! I'm Tired of people coming on this board just regurgitating crap they hear from someone on the radio. Don't know if you watched the NCAA championship game but believe me ,Hanifin would not have had the success he had this year as a17 year old if he avoided contact. Kids a stud

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Well maybe you should watch him play! I'm Tired of people coming on this board just regurgitating crap they hear from someone on the radio. Don't know if you watched the NCAA championship game but believe me ,Hanifin would not have had the success he had this year as a17 year old if he avoided contact. Kids a stud

Get lost with this elitist crap. The entire idea of this board is predicated on people engaging with others in order to further their knowledge about the game. People around this year's draft prospects have been making criticisms about the top players, I'm presenting the information in order to generate a discussion about the player. If you know everything there is to know, then what the hell are you doing here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad