Recalled/Assigned: Hunter Shinkaruk called up (11/18 Update: Sent back down, Grenier recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Well, in Willie's own words, Shinkaruk is here "in case someone gets sick on the road".

:facepalm: Take a prospect who's doing extremely well and have him be the 13th forward, sitting out games. Perfect developmental plan. What could possibly go wrong... ?

What a bunch of incompetent idiots. Just mind-blowing how they still manage to surprise me.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure if you're watching the same Canucks as me. Sven had a bad night, but he's been nowhere near as bad as Vey. He's playing with Horvat on a line getting tough matchups with a revolving door of linemates. In spite of that he hasn't looked bad defensively and looks like he could have a few more points. He has put up a 40 point pace in the NHL before over 3 seasons, which he's on pace to do again this season, so I'm not too worried.

Vey, on the other hand, put up 24 points in 75 games last season while getting prime 1st unit PP minutes with the Sedins. Plus he was an absolute trainwreck defensively to boot.

So I'm not sure if you're thinking of a different Baertschi or a different Vey, but you're mistaken somewhere.

Exactly but both guys were obtained for 2nd round picks and they were wasted trades.

as to the OP I really hope that Hunter is given a legit shot or sent back down, either way it's going to come at the expense of Jake I'm thinking.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
:facepalm: Take a prospect who's doing extremely well and have him be the 13th forward, sitting out games. Perfect developmental plan. What could possibly go wrong... ?

What a bunch of incompetent idiots. Just mind-blowing how they still manage to surprise me.

Exactly, it's 101 how to ruin a prospect.

hilib

Jul 13, 2006
Turns out Burrows had 'good' family reasons that needed him back in Vancouver... Anyone know if he's expecting?

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Shink gets to rub shoulders out with the mentorpede. That's been the plan all along.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Exactly but both guys were obtained for 2nd round picks and they were wasted trades.

as to the OP I really hope that Hunter is given a legit shot or sent back down, either way it's going to come at the expense of Jake I'm thinking.

He may very well turn out to be a wasted trade but I think it's far too early to come to that conclusion based on his play. He's putting up a 40 point pace in bad matchups with low ice time and isn't costing us defensively.

Even if Baertschi busts, the trade was made for the right reasons IMO, it was a good gamble. That being said, I still think it's far too early to say Baertschi isn't NHL caliber. He's done well so far this season by any reasonable standards and should be allowed to continue to improve.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

A canuck prospect is doing well, quick shoot him in the foot!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
AHL scheduling is very different from the NHL. Comets don't play again until next Friday.

It'll continue to be a distraction having him sit out. He won't play at home because we'll have Burrows and healthy Sutter.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It'll continue to be a distraction having him sit out. He won't play at home because we'll have Burrows and healthy Sutter.

A distraction to who exactly? Shink is probably happy to be up making extra cash and practicing with the Canucks. The rest of the Canucks won't be bothered by another rookie hanging around the team. The Comets won't be playing games without him.

So please, tell me what is distracting about this?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
A distraction to who exactly? Shink is probably happy to be up making extra cash and practicing with the Canucks. The rest of the Canucks won't be bothered by another rookie hanging around the team. The Comets won't be playing games without him.

So please, tell me what is distracting about this?

They just played a game without him last night.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Sounds like the brought him up as Burrows may have to leave at a moments notice which he is now back in Vancouver. A one off game missing is nothing, it is only if it a prolonged thing were there should be any concern. Complaining about missing 1 Comets game seems unnecessary when he could of actually been needed for the Canucks.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
its not like the organization has a history of calling up prospects and letting them stagnate to the point where a promising young player is rendered waiver fodder to be claimed by, oh, i dunno just throwing a random name out there: the toronto maple leafs

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

While I don't fully disagree with you, let's have a look at the pros and cons here.

If it is true that he is just staying up for the road trip as injury insurance, he only stands to miss one AHL game. Surely that won't be a detriment to him. He's bound to get some benefit skating with the Canucks for a week or so, even if he doesn't get into a game. It also gives him a pretty significant monetary reward, which is a nice little way of showing him that "we recognize how good you've been playing."

I just don't see a major down side.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the downside is wrapped up in that it hasnt finished happening yet. there's yet another chasm that benning is speeding towards. some people are saying "he should avoid driving off that chasm" and other people are saying "he hasn't driven off the chasm yet, despite the fifteen other major wrecks he's caused, lets just see where it goes"

im sure shinkaruk loves it. i say this with no sarcasm - he's getting paid more, he gets to be with the big club and travel in style and hang with the good players

that said, its not like the team is playing well enough or has a ****ing future or whatever. play the kid, holy ****, stop pretending as if your team's going to get derailed because he got in a game, you're already sabotaging it with your ****** coaching you old dinosaur hack

The Jesus*

the downside is wrapped up in that it hasnt finished happening yet. there's yet another chasm that benning is speeding towards. some people are saying "he should avoid driving off that chasm" and other people are saying "he hasn't driven off the chasm yet, despite the fifteen other major wrecks he's caused, lets just see where it goes"

im sure shinkaruk loves it. i say this with no sarcasm - he's getting paid more, he gets to be with the big club and travel in style and hang with the good players

that said, its not like the team is playing well enough or has a ****ing future or whatever. play the kid, holy ****, stop pretending as if your team's going to get derailed because he got in a game, you're already sabotaging it with your ****** coaching you old dinosaur hack

The GM can't control how the coach will play his guys. If you give Willie that many rookies, he's already shown what he'll do. He'll load them all onto the same line, bench them, and roll 3.

Im at the point where Im ready to call Baertschi a failure. Hopefully management is too. If we send his useless ass through waivers, it'll open up a spot for Shink. Which is fine by me.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They just played a game without him last night.

So? It's one game, it's also an extra chance for Shink to get used to NHL gamedays, watch tape with the guys, and generally get settled in.

-----

So not playing a kid who's just been called up and hasn't practiced with the team yet makes you an 'old dinosaur hack'? I guess there must be a lot of those around the league then...

-----

Im at the point where Im ready to call Baertschi a failure. Hopefully management is too. If we send his useless ass through waivers, it'll open up a spot for Shink. Which is fine by me.

Baerschi has 7 points in 15 games which has him on pace to finish with 10g - 27 a - 37p on a line with a struggling Horvat and a Vrbata who's lucky to hit the net. On top of that he's also a +1 compared to Horvat's -5 and Vrbata's -9. What else do you want from him?

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, they're already on the East Coast. If they needed him because someone was sick, they could have just called him up at that point. I think they just honestly believe there's some leadership osmosis that's going to happen here. Does anyone remember when they called up Jensen for one game last year, parked him in the press box beside Linden, and had the two of them chat all game? They think that sort of stuff is going to make a tangible difference. It seems ridiculous to me.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Doesn't it seem likely that the Shinkaruk recall is directly tied to whatever's going on with Burrows?

Perhaps Burrows thought he might have had to head back to Vancouver prior to the Leafs game?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Doesn't it seem likely that the Shinkaruk recall is directly tied to whatever's going on with Burrows?

Perhaps Burrows thought he might have had to head back to Vancouver prior to the Leafs game?

Who knows. As stated, Willie's exact quote (I believe after the TO game) was that Shinkaruk had to come up "in case someone gets sick on the road". I don't really care that much -- it's just another headscratcher in a turbulent sea of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad