Recalled/Assigned: Hunter Shinkaruk called up (11/18 Update: Sent back down, Grenier recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed. Worked his ass off, threw some hits even.
But he needs another step to make it at this level I think. If he can get his speed back, he'll be there.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Shink looked like he was in hyperdrive trying to do way to much, he needs to settle down a bit. Looked good in the d-zone tho.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Skated hard tonight but wasn't overly effective. Still not a terrible first showing.

Yeah. Had plenty of jump, and you could see even in his limited ice, there's a much improved confidence in handling the puck a bit, and finding ways to create a bit of space for himself to work - like his Jr days.

Still a big step up from the AHL to the NHL and it'll likely take him some time to really adjust to that extra step faster that the NHL game is played at, and continue to get stronger physically.

A few less than stellar puck management things, but worked hard to clean up some of his little mistakes. Nothing too unexpected really, from a young offensive-minded kid playing his first NHL game.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Were we watching the same game?

Shink looked completely overmatched out there. Struggled to stay on the puck and wasn't able to make any plays. Looked like he isn't ready for the NHL.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
lol.

Okay. So why didn't they just bring up Grenier in the first place? :laugh:

I mean, i guess they wanted to kind of "reward" Shinkaruk for his AHL play? Hardly seems like one and done is a terrific reward for the kid though.

Oh well. If Shinkaruk isn't going to get ice time up here or skilled linemates, it's far better for everyone to have Grenier up here anyway. At least they're not making the mistake of sitting Shinkaruk out of a bunch of games here, which many were in full panic mode over.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
What the hell is this? We give Shinkaruk 1 game with less than 10 minutes of ice-time, and send him down for a plug? :shakehead

What makes it even funnier is that Grenier is playing with McCann and Higgins in practice while Shinkaruk got Cracknell and Dorsett. :laugh: It's not even like we needed to send him down, Utica doesn't play again until Friday.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
This team is embarrassing. It's too bad a couple classy HOFers like the Sedins are here to prop these guys up, because if they weren't, this team would be a laughing stock.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I wonder if it's cap related. Grenier makes under the threshold for the Emergency Recall where it doesn't count against the cap whereas Shinkaruk doesn't. I don't think it's an issue right now with Prust on LTIR, but he's about to be activated so maybe if Sutter and/or Vrbata are out temporarily they'll need Grenier because they can get him up without having cap space.

If true, it really shows one of the downsides of poor cap management. You can't even afford to call up your legitimate prospects for short term injuries; you need to rely on guys who are already off ELCs and who have league minimum deals.

As a side note, the Canucks have been super sloppy with LTIR so far this year; it doesn't look like they've even bothered trying to maximize their exemptions. Only $1.4M of Prust's $2.5M cap hit is eligible for LTIR for instance, if the numbers I've read are correct.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
lol.

Okay. So why didn't they just bring up Grenier in the first place? :laugh:

I mean, i guess they wanted to kind of "reward" Shinkaruk for his AHL play? Hardly seems like one and done is a terrific reward for the kid though.

Oh well. If Shinkaruk isn't going to get ice time up here or skilled linemates, it's far better for everyone to have Grenier up here anyway. At least they're not making the mistake of sitting Shinkaruk out of a bunch of games here, which many were in full panic mode over.

I know money isn't everything and these guys just want to play at the nhl level.
That said 11,000 $ for a night's work isn't nothing, when you're going to make 70,000$ for an entire season in the AHL.
It's not like these minor league guys are set for life financially.

Olandsns

Jun 22, 2014
Halifax, NS
given that vrbata is actually out, it is about size. jets are a big, banging team.

aside from that it is good to give the guys a bit of a taste early. Makes sure they know what kind of a step up it is -- then take that back and work on it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What makes it even funnier is that Grenier is playing with McCann and Higgins in practice while Shinkaruk got Cracknell and Dorsett. :laugh: It's not even like we needed to send him down, Utica doesn't play again until Friday.

Roster spots available says they did need to send him down to bring Grenier up.

I know money isn't everything and these guys just want to play at the nhl level.
That said 11,000 $ for a night's work isn't nothing, when you're going to make 70,000$ for an entire season in the AHL.
It's not like these minor league guys are set for life financially.

Yeah, that's true. And Shinkaruk was up for a handful of days collecting those cheques, not just the one game he played. Nice little bit of extra cash in his pockets. And he did get to play his first NHL game in Montreal which has to be pretty exciting.

I don't really have a huge grievance with it on the whole. It's just funny.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
given that vrbata is actually out, it is about size. jets are a big, banging team.

aside from that it is good to give the guys a bit of a taste early. Makes sure they know what kind of a step up it is -- then take that back and work on it.

I was just gonna say this, grenier is a big boy who should hopefully hold his own a little better against the jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad