Recalled/Assigned: Hunter Shinkaruk called up (11/18 Update: Sent back down, Grenier recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata (because Vrbata is completely ****ing useless anywhere else in the line-up)
Shinkaruk - McCann - Burrows (offensive role)
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen (checking role)
Dorknob - Cracknell - Virtanen (energy line)

edit - forgot Baerts... take Doorknob out

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
What we want to see:
Shinkaruk Horvat Virtanen (or something like this)

What we will see:
Shinkaruk Cracknell Dorsett

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I hope he actually plays instead of just acting as insurance as the 13th forward.

He was on a roll in Utica, I would have preferred him to be left alone for a while.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I hope he actually plays instead of just acting as insurance as the 13th forward.

He was on a roll in Utica, I would have preferred him to be left alone for a while.

Yep, this. Don't mind the callup on a short-term basis and I suppose he was the logical choice, but he has a long way to go to consistently dominate the A. Would like to see him sustain his success over a 30-40 goal season down there.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata (because Vrbata is completely ****ing useless anywhere else in the line-up)
Shinkaruk - McCann - Burrows (offensive role)
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen (checking role)
Dorknob - Cracknell - Virtanen (energy line)

edit - forgot Baerts... take Doorknob out

Lol do you know who the coach is!?

As much as I would love to see your lineup with Dorsett out, I don't think it'll happen. If Shinkaruk plays, I hope Baertschi doesn't come out. He's been effective and a scratch is not merited

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I really like this Gillis pick and hope to see him succeed. I wouldn't have a problem slotting him into the lineup for a few games in the NHL, just to give him a taste. But he's at a crucial point right now; things are going well for him, he's (hopefully) becoming a premier AHL scorer, which is a big step. He needs to play minutes in a scorer's role to continue to develop. But when he gets up to the NHL our dinosaur coach will immediately place him at the bottom of his insane "Who do I trust" hierarchy that he uses to allocate icetime, sentencing him to 7 minutes a game on the 4th line, with no PP look. A smart coach takes a young scorer and places him in a scorer's role. He doesn't first make the player "earn his trust" by succeeding in a role he's not suited for. When you create a line like that (and they've done the same thing this season with mccann) you're completely screwing those three players, because you have a unit of forwards with mismatched skillsets and no clear purpose. It's stupid and backwards and hurts the team's performance on the ice AND ****s with our prospect development.

Anyways I'm excited for Hunter, I hope he succeeds in spite of this.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I wonder if it's a showcase job, he has been playing lights out in Utica maybe Benning has been getting inquiries. Hope the first part of my post is just pure crap tho.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But he's at a crucial point right now; things are going well for him, he's (hopefully) becoming a premier AHL scorer, which is a big step. He needs to play minutes in a scorer's role to continue to develop. But when he gets up to the NHL our dinosaur coach will immediately place him at the bottom of his insane "Who do I trust" hierarchy that he uses to allocate icetime, sentencing him to 7 minutes a game on the 4th line, with no PP look. A smart coach takes a young scorer and places him in a scorer's role. He doesn't first make the player "earn his trust" by succeeding in a role he's not suited for. When you create a line like that (and they've done the same thing this season with mccann) you're completely screwing those three players, because you have a unit of forwards with mismatched skillsets and no clear purpose. It's stupid and backwards and hurts the team's performance on the ice AND ****s with our prospect development.

I am actually going to give Willie the benefit of the doubt. This isn't AV's or Torts' 4th line despite Willie wanting the same in his heart. Wille's 4th line doesn't expect everyone to crash and bang. McCann certainly isn't required to do so. And I'm not sure if you can say there are defined rolls when the team rolls 4 lines. Every line is expected to play well defensively and contribute offensively. And considering that the line of McCann, Dorsett, and Cracknell/Prust have been successfull offensively you can hardly declare that to be a stupid line of mismatched skillsets with no clear purpose.

I think this is good for Hunter no matter what. The way that Green and Willie have developed the young guys is that defense comes first. Hunter had to learn that aspect and we saw some development in his offensive game in the 2nd half of last season. Now with a good start, Hunter is rewarded with a callup. Even if he doesn't get a lot of minutes and he gets sent down, he knows what to do. If he performs well in the AHL he is going to get a callup. And in order to stay in the NHL he needs to be good defensively first and foremost and contribute offensively. So far, despite the young guys wanting more opportunities they've been convinced of the process. Horvat's development has helped. McCann, Virtanen, and Baertschi are going through the same thing.

Who do you think Hunter will play with? McCann? Horvat? Maybe one of Higgins and Burrows? Worse skill scenario Cracknell and Dorsett? No matter who Hunter plays with, he's not going to be told to just chip it in and play it safe. He's going to be told that as long as he plays well defensively he can do what you do best offensively. There's been little indication in Willie's 1+ years here that Willie has a set way for his players to play on a particular line. As long as you play a responsible defensive game, players are open to do whatever they can offensively.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
It's likely a short term call up (unless he goes off).

It's a nice 'reward' for his early play,

He's not going to lose his confidence being with the big club for a few days. Quite the opposite: he'll be happy to know his play in Utica is being closely followed.

He will go back down and work his butt off, chomping at the bit to stick with the big club.

I'd agree it's a mistake to keep him up for a prolonged time (if as expected he's only going to see limited time).

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder when they'd play him. I don't see a right fit to test the waters in the next week+ outside of tonight

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So they call up Shinkaruk and park him in the press box at the ACC, the same night as his Comets team is playing in Syracuse?.....why?

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Once again, terrible roster management from Willie. He finds new lows and continues to surprise me with how dumb he can manage things.

Why call him up today instead of tomorrow?

That way he plays against Syracuse and then makes his way to Montreal? Not like the game is tomorrow...

Does Willie really think his system is that hard to learn? What the hell...

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
We could have him play his first NHL game against one of the worst teams in the league to ease him in, OR we could throw him into the deep end against the best team in the NHL on Monday. I guess they chose the latter.

I also don't quite get why we called him up today if he's not playing when he could be playing in Syracuse tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad