Recalled/Assigned: Hunter Shinkaruk called up (11/18 Update: Sent back down, Grenier recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
They're just building up his hunger. Kid has obviously wanted to play his first NHL game for his whole life or whatever, but he needed to practice with Derek Dorsett a couple times before *really* wanting it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's playing tonight.

The overreactions in this thread are as ridiculous as always.

Excited to see him play.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
He's playing tonight.

The overreactions in this thread are as ridiculous as always.

Excited to see him play.

Yes, how dare we be worried about the development of one of our top prospects. :sarcasm:

Oh well, I hope he plays well for the 5-7 minutes he'll get with Cracknell and Dorsett. I personally think it would make more sense to play him in Higgins' spot with McCann and Vrbata (according to practice lines), but what do I know.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
18 goals on his last 30 regular season games in AHL... Hope he play against Canadiens and get over 10 min icetime.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Give it a ease.
This is Shink's first NHL game. Cracknell and Dorsett are still better than any players he ever played with before.

While this may be true in the grander scheme of things it is not true in the flatt out offensive sense. I don't think Dorsett and his 18 points in 64 AHL games would agree either...

Adam Cracknell who I really like, didn't even crack ppg in the ECHL.

He has played with better passers and finishers. Not that Dorsett or Cracknell are terrible hockey players, but they are what they are, 4th line guys.

They are fine players in their role, but not scorers in any top league.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
While this may be true in the grander scheme of things it is not true in the flatt out offensive sense. I don't think Dorsett and his 18 points in 64 AHL games would agree either...

Adam Cracknell who I really like, didn't even crack ppg in the ECHL.

He has played with better passers and finishers. Not that Dorsett or Cracknell are terrible hockey players, but they are what they are, 4th line guys.

They are fine players in their role, but not scorers in any top league.

Yeah, Baertschi for example is a better hockey player than either of those guys, but if he can't crack the top 6 in the NHL he'll never be an NHLer. Vey also has much more talent than either of those guys, but he is weak on the puck, can't win puck battles and can't play defense. He's another top 6 or bust guy, even though he is more skilled than Dorsett and Cracknell, he just can't play their role.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Step 1. Insert complaint about benning and coach D

Insert insult about prospects development

Insert insult about Dorsett

Step 2.

Step 3. Maximize profits

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
god forbid we try to have our prospects succeed that would be insane
FFS if he's flying do you think he'll get stapled to the 4th line.

Just because he's Uticas best forward currently and a 1st rounder doesn't mean they should brush aside everyone else for his presence.

Pretty much every other forward has crushed the A. If Higgins continues to suck and Hunter lights a fire he'll be in the top 3 lines. He's 21 now and this team needs some goals.

Rosko Thorn

Jul 4, 2009
Sudbury, ON
the way WD likes to juggle lines, I've stopped paying attention to pregame lines.

Shinkaruk will start on a line with cracknell and dorsett....but who the hell knows where he finishes.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

Yes. Yes I do. Unfortunately, there's a mountain of evidence suggesting this would be the case. I suspect that's where the concern is based from posters in this thread. Each coach has their own approach to using rookies and Vets and Willie doesn't seem willing or able to move from his approach. Anyone think Panarin would be as successful under Willie as he has been under Quenneville?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

Just because he's Uticas best forward currently and a 1st rounder doesn't mean they should brush aside everyone else for his presence.

Pretty much every other forward has crushed the A. If Higgins continues to suck and Hunter lights a fire he'll be in the top 3 lines. He's 21 now and this team needs some goals.

:laugh:

if Hunter lights a fire it will be because Dorsett and Cracknell are doing a good job mentoring him, in Willies eyes.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
:laugh:

if Hunter lights a fire it will be because Dorsett and Cracknell are doing a good job mentoring him, in Willies eyes.

I don't agree with that but McCann has done okay with Prust, Cracknell and Dorsett. For one game to get his feet wet its not going to be the end of the world for Shink.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Shinkaruk with Cracknell and Dorsett could be as big a disaster as McCann with Prust!

The 2nd and 3rd lines have kids on them already. Desjardins, like most head coaches will try to avoid icing multiple rookies on a line - to help insulate them.

And Cracknell and Dorsett have each been generating 1.5 shots per game with 12 minutes ice time. Nothing wrong with that from a bottom 6 role. For a point of reference, that's more shots generated per game than Bonino, Richardson or Mattias this season, even though those 3 ex-Canucks play a lot more minutes.

Here's hoping Shinkaruk can magically look NHL ready and too good to be sent back down. Wouldn't bet on it, but it would be a nice surprise nonetheless.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, how dare we be worried about the development of one of our top prospects. :sarcasm:

Oh well, I hope he plays well for the 5-7 minutes he'll get with Cracknell and Dorsett. I personally think it would make more sense to play him in Higgins' spot with McCann and Vrbata (according to practice lines), but what do I know.

We might be worried about one of our top prospects, but I think we should all step back and admit we know nothing about properly developing prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad