Recalled/Assigned: Hunter Shinkaruk called up (11/18 Update: Sent back down, Grenier recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Serious disrespect to the Comets imo....they recall their captain Biega, then park him the pressbox with the popcorn....now they recall their leading scorer and sit him as well...is it Willie or Benning, or both?....why in the world wouldn't you give Shinkaruk another game in Syracuse and then fly him into Montreal?....just dumb.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I really like this Gillis pick and hope to see him succeed. I wouldn't have a problem slotting him into the lineup for a few games in the NHL, just to give him a taste. But he's at a crucial point right now; things are going well for him, he's (hopefully) becoming a premier AHL scorer, which is a big step. He needs to play minutes in a scorer's role to continue to develop. But when he gets up to the NHL our dinosaur coach will immediately place him at the bottom of his insane "Who do I trust" hierarchy that he uses to allocate icetime, sentencing him to 7 minutes a game on the 4th line, with no PP look. A smart coach takes a young scorer and places him in a scorer's role. He doesn't first make the player "earn his trust" by succeeding in a role he's not suited for. When you create a line like that (and they've done the same thing this season with mccann) you're completely screwing those three players, because you have a unit of forwards with mismatched skillsets and no clear purpose. It's stupid and backwards and hurts the team's performance on the ice AND ****s with our prospect development.

Anyways I'm excited for Hunter, I hope he succeeds in spite of this.

"A smart coach..."

You've said all you needed to say.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
We could have him play his first NHL game against one of the worst teams in the league to ease him in, OR we could throw him into the deep end against the best team in the NHL on Monday. I guess they chose the latter.

I also don't quite get why we called him up today if he's not playing when he could be playing in Syracuse tonight.

Hunter played last night.

If he played again tonight for Utica, and then on Monday with the 'Nucks, that's 3 games in 4 nights.

Maybe they are simply trying to protect the kid, and put him in a better position to succeed.

Maybe they think, practicing with, and watching the NHL'ers play before he sees game action is a better way for him to prepare for his first NHL game.

Maybe they think playing back to back games in Utica, and then having a hectic Sunday gives him no time to relax and get ready for his first NHL game on Monday, and they would prefer he didn't have to go through that.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.

If he played again tonight for Utica, and then on Monday with the 'Nucks, that's 3 games in 4 nights.

Maybe they are simply trying to protect the kid, and put him in a better position to succeed.

Maybe they think, practicing with, and watching the NHL'ers play before he sees game action is a better way for him to prepare for his first NHL game.

Maybe they think playing back to back games in Utica, and then having a hectic Sunday gives him no time to relax and get ready for his first NHL game on Monday, and they would prefer he didn't have to go through that.

Was about to post exactly this. Everyone just loves to complain without thinking for even a moment.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

I don't think it would be that big of a deal considering he'll likely get no more than 8 minutes of ice time. Also, while it's nice to let him "relax" for a day, I doubt he's going to be very relaxed. He's probably a bit nervous and anxious to play his first NHL game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Why throw him into the fire against montreal?

Shinkaruk could easily play todays game.

If they throw him in against Montreal, just how much do you think WD will trust him? Maybe 3 shifts in the first period, 1 in the second and none in the third?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't think it would be that big of a deal considering he'll likely get no more than 8 minutes of ice time. Also, while it's nice to let him "relax" for a day, I doubt he's going to be very relaxed. He's probably a bit nervous and anxious to play his first NHL game.

Also any AHL player is used to playing 3 in 3 or 3 in 4 all the time. That's the way their season is laid out. It wouldn't have an effect on him and with his limited ice time from WD it would be no problem at all.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Why throw him into the fire against montreal?

Shinkaruk could easily play todays game.

Read above. It's a silly notion when you factor playing yesterday, travel, and not having even practiced or warmed up with the Canucks.

It's not like we have a dire need of a forward at the moment either.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Read above. It's a silly notion when you factor playing yesterday, travel, and not having even practiced or warmed up with the Canucks.

It's not like we have a dire need of a forward at the moment either.[/QUOT

In that case why bring him up anyways? You don't actually have any need for him to begin with.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
Serious disrespect to the Comets imo....they recall their captain Biega, then park him the pressbox with the popcorn....now they recall their leading scorer and sit him as well...is it Willie or Benning, or both?....why in the world wouldn't you give Shinkaruk another game in Syracuse and then fly him into Montreal?....just dumb.

Because he's probably playing tonight.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

It's not like we have a dire need of a forward at the moment either.[/QUOT

In that case why bring him up anyways? You don't actually have any need for him to begin with.

It's a reward and encouragement, if nothing else. At his age I'm sure any time is appreciated.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
He's being called up for injury reasons, just like Biega. And also just like Biega, I don't imagine they actually have plans to play him without further injuries, because Willie has some ironclad depth chart.

I think "saving him for Montreal" is naïve -- who is coming out of the lineup? No one.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He's being called up for injury reasons, just like Biega. And also just like Biega, I don't imagine they actually have plans to play him without further injuries, because Willie has some ironclad depth chart.

I think "saving him for Montreal" is naïve -- who is coming out of the lineup? No one.

To me that is the wrong call to make. I think it's great to call him up, but you should want to keep him playing first and foremost. If they have no plans to play him, keep him in the AHL, and call up someone else.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
To me that is the wrong call to make. I think it's great to call him up, but you should want to keep him playing first and foremost. If they have no plans to play him, keep him in the AHL, and call up someone else.
Indeed, it's terrible "whiteboard" thinking. They're just calling up the guy who's "next" on the depth chart irrespective of how that shakes down for him or either team – they've done this several times with the defense now. They just want a body, so they should call up Utica's 13th forward, frankly.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Made no sense to call him and miss a game in utica and not play him wd and benning are completly destroying this team

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Don't understand the decision of not playing him especially against the leafs and with the comets playing, should've played over higgins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad