Recalled/Assigned: Hunter Shinkaruk called up (11/18 Update: Sent back down, Grenier recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
How about maybe the Jets have been gooning it up literally every game they go down a couple on this losing streak? They have been abandoning playing hockey and been undisciplined as hell taking runs. Why would you want Shink in for that? We already have a soft group full of young players, Grenier is the logical choice. My god you guys just complain about literally EVERYTHING without even thinking twice. Get a grip

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
How about maybe the Jets have been gooning it up literally every game they go down a couple on this losing streak? They have been abandoning playing hockey and been undisciplined as hell taking runs. Why would you want Shink in for that? We already have a soft group full of young players, Grenier is the logical choice. My god you guys just complain about literally EVERYTHING without even thinking twice. Get a grip

Came in to say this. The Nucks looked like a small team against the Habs of all teams. Winnipeg is a heavy team.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Grenier, if he plays, will likely see less than 10 minutes. But he will see better linemates

I think he actually gets some minutes as Willie already has his 3rd period scratches in Baertschi, McCann and Virtanen. Who knows, maybe he just benches a whole third our forward lineup for the third period :laugh:

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014

Shinkaruk isn't going to magically gain 20 pounds and become physical he's in his second pro season he should be able to take a hit. If he's getting sent down for being "soft" should we scratch McCann and Baertschi also.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Grenier, if he plays, will likely see less than 10 minutes. But he will see better linemates

He's also a natural RW, which Shinkaruk is not. Which makes a difference, especially for a coach like WillieD, and with a team full of other young players who they'd probably prefer not to force into flip-flopping sides right now, on top of everything else.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He's also a natural RW, which Shinkaruk is not. Which makes a difference, especially for a coach like WillieD, and with a team full of other young players who they'd probably prefer not to force into flip-flopping sides right now, on top of everything else.

Burrows could easily be shifted over, he can play both wings just fine. If they wanted to keep up Shinkaruk they could have, for whatever reason they didn't though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Burrows has played RW for the past several years. Having him revert back to RW in this instance wouldn't have been a bad idea.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I wonder if it's cap related. Grenier makes under the threshold for the Emergency Recall where it doesn't count against the cap whereas Shinkaruk doesn't. I don't think it's an issue right now with Prust on LTIR, but he's about to be activated so maybe if Sutter and/or Vrbata are out temporarily they'll need Grenier because they can get him up without having cap space.

If true, it really shows one of the downsides of poor cap management. You can't even afford to call up your legitimate prospects for short term injuries; you need to rely on guys who are already off ELCs and who have league minimum deals.

As a side note, the Canucks have been super sloppy with LTIR so far this year; it doesn't look like they've even bothered trying to maximize their exemptions. Only $1.4M of Prust's $2.5M cap hit is eligible for LTIR for instance, if the numbers I've read are correct.

Sounds like a plausible explanation.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Could also be that with them being close to Utica, they're using this as an opportunity to get Shinkaruk/Grenier their first NHL games without it being overly taxing on them.

I mean, overall its probably more valuable to get them each 1 game, than have Shinkaruk play 2 games.

I can kind of see the rationale.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Grenier hasn't even slightly earned that opportunity this year though. From the reports from BG and the Uticans it sounds like Grenier has taken a step back since being separated from Cal O'Reilly.

The LTIR and cap relief explanation by opendoor could very well be the reason. This team has no idea how to manage their cap and LTIR.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Were we watching the same game?

Shink looked completely overmatched out there. Struggled to stay on the puck and wasn't able to make any plays. Looked like he isn't ready for the NHL.

Clearly the Canucks agreed with me. I think this is the right move, Shink was out of his league last game.

Hopefully this ignites a fire in him to keep working hard in Utica.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
given that vrbata is actually out, it is about size. jets are a big, banging team.

aside from that it is good to give the guys a bit of a taste early. Makes sure they know what kind of a step up it is -- then take that back and work on it.

Big and banging huh? Grenier is definitely not a banger even if he is big.

After tonight's game, if Grenier plays, I'll be looking for the Grenier is soft and will never play in the NHL comments.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

2 words power play.

Hunter isn't getting a shot right now, heck even if he goes on to score 20 goals in the next 20 games down in Utica he won't get a fair shot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought Grenier looked fairly impressive tonight.....big guy which good wheels....directs lots of pucks at the net and unlucky not to score his first goal....and a quick question for 'Nuck posters...at this point in the team's evolution would Grenier or Shink make more sense than someone like Chris Higgins?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I thought Grenier looked fairly impressive tonight.....big guy which good wheels....directs lots of pucks at the net and unlucky not to score his first goal....and a quick question for 'Nuck posters...at this point in the team's evolution would Grenier or Shink make more sense than someone like Chris Higgins?

I think it would be hard to make this call with only having watched one game played each.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
More should IMO be made of Grenier's play last night. In less than 9 minutes of ice-time he managed to produce 4 shots including some serious scoring chances. On top of that, he didn't look out of place defensively or in transition.

And more should be made of the fact that after that performance, he ended up sitting most of the 3rd period.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Would prefer to replace Dorsett with Grenier to be honest. I have no idea what Dorsett brings anymore other than being a punching bag for the other team.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah I was impressed with Grenier. Looks like he's going back to Utica though with Prust being activated for Saturday's game.

Kind of a sketchy cap situation when that happens though. They'll only have 12 healthy forwards and 6 healthy defensemen and no cap space to call anyone up unless one of Sutter, Sbisa, or Vrbata is LTIR eligible. They could be one more injury away from dressing a shortened lineup.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yeah I was impressed with Grenier. Looks like he's going back to Utica though with Prust being activated for Saturday's game.

Kind of a sketchy cap situation when that happens though. They'll only have 12 healthy forwards and 6 healthy defensemen and no cap space to call anyone up unless one of Sutter, Sbisa, or Vrbata is LTIR eligible. They could be one more injury away from dressing a shortened lineup.

Should just send Virtanen back to junior and keep Grenier up. I see absolutely no value in continuing that experiment. He can't even touch the puck right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad