Post-Game Talk: Hockey is back - Leafs Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
JT really looked like himself again. This past season wasn't that great for him. It was good but a bit of a drop-off from the season prior.

I have no worries about the Hyman - Matthews - Nylander line. It's tried and tested. They had some chances and plays. It'll click.

Hope Robertson gets to play in game 1. That line was excellent.

Reilly looks rejuvenated.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
One of those games where the winning team looked like a cat playing with their dinner. Rightfully so, no reason Leafs should have dropped this one and they delivered.

Reactions: Kazinski

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I can't believe it's been since mid-March since I got to see the Leafs last play. Even though it was only an exhibition game, it was fun to watch.

The one positive thing that did transpire during the, "pause" was that it gave many players a chance to rest up and those that were banged up and injured mostly got a chance to fully recover. The only one we probably won't see is Johnsson.

Kerfoot and Rielly were in full form offensively. Loved what I saw from the Tavares and Kerfoot line.

Matthews and Nylander looked rusty, but had some good moments, Nylander not as much.

The one thing that will always ring true is that no matter what game it is, if Marincin is on the ice, you know that will spell disaster more often than not. He didn't disappoint as he had his usual head scratching blunders, namely in the third period.

Montreal look uninterested and not very engaged for most of the game. They did look good in spurts, mainly in the third period, but definitely not on their powerplays.

Toronto's powerplay looked weak, but special teams can make or break a win for you and they proved that by netting two short-handed goals.

Good tune-up match, the only one they will have before their qualifying match-up against the Blue Jackets.

Leafs in 4.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I really wish the NHL chose to partially finish the regular season, like 6 regular season games tondetermine the playoff matchups. I feel like this first series is going to be whoever makes the keast amount of mistakes wins.
I think more than fewest mistakes, it's the team that can capitalize on them.

Leafs have the speed and talent to take advantage of mistakes, more than the Jackets.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I really wish the NHL chose to partially finish the regular season, like 6 regular season games tondetermine the playoff matchups.

How hard would that have been?

And had they done that, they could easily have had the feel good story of three 50 goal scorers.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm less concerned with the flubbed passes than I am with the penalties.

So who had Keefoot leading the team in goals? No fibbing!

Reilly was great, Kerfoot, Mikayev, Kapanen looked good. Robertson didn't look out of place.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If Kerfoot is able to be a viable PKer, I would seriously consider taking Marner off of the PK. He's passable and brings the counterattack element, but Engvall, Kapanen, Hyman, Mikheyev and Kerfoot bring the counterattack element as well... Plus they are much better PKers.

Keep Marner fresh. Those 5 are not getting nearly as much ES or PP time as Marner, so let them handle the PK duties and let Marner focus on ways to be more effective. He had a few chances, but it is not enough... Just like it was not enough in the regular season.

Reactions: Duffman955 and qqaz

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Matthew's was a monster defensively sheesh.

Fun little game. I wish we tighten up on taking penalties. Some were a bit soft but still if they're gonna call them we have to be smart.

Cant wait for Sunday. Goosebumps I tell ya.

Reactions: moon111

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
We know Morgan, and suspected Tavares, were injured prior to the outbreak. It looked like time heals all wounds. Rielly was Riellying (with a few D mistakes) but just looked so much better than earlier in the year. JT looked the professional he is: strong, very capable and dangerous. Both are needed and I'm glad they played well.

If Matthews and Tavares eat up 40+ minutes a night, I'm ok with the effort Kerfoot showed at 3C. An interesting add on the PK, the line of him, Robertson and Kappy looked dangerous. I'd guess 3rd LW will be seeing 13/14 min a night against Columbus, and with the way things worked out tonight, I think Robertson makes the line far more legit than Engvall...legit dangerous, not legit defensively. Go with your strengths and Robertson is in, play it safe and I would think Engvall will play.

Engvall vs Goat: not much in it, really. At 4C I might take Fred, a better nullifier. But, my goodness Engvall can cover ice with that unorthodox skating stride. Given his lack of experience at C, this may be what is holding him back and next year we may see a concerted effort using him there. But at 7/8 min/night, not the Leafs biggest concern.

Ceci and Marincin are going to give me peptic displeasure. I so wish to see Dermott moved up with Rielly, but the thought of either C or M with Barrie is...concerning.

A quietly efficient night from Andersen was a welcome sight.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
my god just watching that game felt so great. I will never take pro sports for granted again.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Anyone else around here nervous of freddys annual slow starts? Given that this is basically training camp / pre season for the guys and andersen waits till December to get into a rhythm, I’m concerned of how big of how he comes out of the gates. We know he has the game when he’s on. Just have to hope it’s there I guess.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Anyone else around here nervous of freddys annual slow starts? Given that this is basically training camp / pre season for the guys and andersen waits till December to get into a rhythm, I’m concerned of how big of how he comes out of the gates. We know he has the game when he’s on. Just have to hope it’s there I guess.

I doubt there's a single team that's not nervous about what their goaltender will be like after a huge layoff and the Leafs are no exception.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I doubt there's a single team that's not nervous about what their goaltender will be like after a huge layoff and the Leafs are no exception.
Oh I get that. But Freddy has been notorious for slow starts. More so than most I would guess. It’s the same conversation every year November and early December.

Reactions: ToMaLe

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I haven't been on this forum much since the pandemic started, but
watching Robertson who is still only 18, I can't believe he didn't go in the first round.........
Has he improved that much since the draft or was he just overlooked......and when was the last time the leafs had an 18 year old on their roster?
Matthews

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Oh I get that. But Freddy has been notorious for slow starts. More so than most I would guess. It’s the same conversation every year November and early December.

I think people worry about this more than they should. You're not the only though so go ahead and worry all you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad