Post-Game Talk: Hockey is back - Leafs Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
3 things about last night to feel good about:
  • High Danger Chances: TOR 11, MON 4
  • Nick Robertson: 1A, 75%CF, 86% xGF, 100% HDCF
  • Tavares looked like prime Tavares.
Something to improve on:
  • Matthews line + Rielly pairing had the worst GF% by far. Almost every other line won the stats war, but this line got buried.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Well I only saw the third period but the 3 worst things I noticed were:

1. Marincin
2. Friedman's beard
3. This new flyover camera

Happy Andy had a solid game and nice to hear that Tavares and Rielly had good games, hopefully they're healthy.
It's pretty unprofessional. Doing podcasts and zoom interviews while at home is one thing, but you're back on national television now. You look like a homeless man.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Something to improve on:
  • Matthews line + Rielly pairing had the worst GF% by far. Almost every other line won the stats war, but this line got buried.
This one is key for me. If we can have 2 truely elite lines and a third that's fast and skilled, we will be dangerous. We were missing this all season with the injuries--most importantly Tavares' finger hampering his play.

Reactions: qqaz and Merrrlin

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone else around here nervous of freddys annual slow starts? Given that this is basically training camp / pre season for the guys and andersen waits till December to get into a rhythm, I’m concerned of how big of how he comes out of the gates. We know he has the game when he’s on. Just have to hope it’s there I guess.

No. In fact that's the first time its been mentioned here...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The level of play sure looked like an exhibition game level after months away.

Going to take some more time till the players get back up to speed and then playoff level of play and performance.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The presentation and intensity of the Edmonton game was miles ahead of this game.
I’m guessing that horrible presentation was down to NBC?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Something to improve on:
Matthews and Nylander are the kinds of players who won't put in much effort in an exhibition game, so I'm not really concerned.
Rielly looked like the Rielly of old which would be huge. He wasn't the same this season.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Not much new to say. But I'll give some thoughts:

Barrie doesn't have a place on this team. It's silly, but I think I'd rather have Ceci back than this guy for next season. I'm quite happy to have neither of them, but at least Ceci fills a role. Barrie was invisible, and I was surprised to see he played 16 minutes. I would have guessed closer to 10. My only negative take away.

Kerfoot is a good C. He had an impact. I don't like him on the wing before, but with a healthy lineup, he should be back where he belongs for the coming playoffs, and I like it. He blocked shots on the PK, got a shorty, was over %60 on the dot, and made a skilled tip on the Rielly shot for another goal. He's not a selke-type shutdown guy. But when he's on and his line is clicking, Keefe will have the option to use them in case Matthews or Tavares doesn't have it.

Keefe was smart not to over-do it for anyone. Only Muzzin barely hit 20 minutes. Meanwhile Webber played 45 for Montreal.* Good to share the time during a meaningless game and not tire anyone out.
*ok, it was 24

Freddy did good. He even got his glove on one of the MTL goals, he almost had it. Looked dialed in to me. Playing him against our stars in the scrimmages was great. That's more firepower than he'll face against c-bus.

Is it possible that Tavares is underrated? I just love having him on the team. At %100 now, he's going to overpower any line the Jackets can throw at him.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Great game! Good to be back watching hockey. Shake off some of that rust in the next week and we're set.

Lines look good just need a bit more game time i think.

Edit: JT just needed that family time with his new baby.. healing his hand appears to have done wonders.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The presentation and intensity of the Edmonton game was miles ahead of this game.
I’m guessing that horrible presentation was down to NBC?
Some of the camera angles in our game last night were awful. Like, zooming in on a player in transition and then he drops the puck or passes it off and the camera misses the next part of the play as a result. Some of the overhead views were frustrating. I hope they iron out the kinks.

Reactions: RadekBong

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Some of the camera angles in our game last night were awful. Like, zooming in on a player in transition and then he drops the puck or passes it off and the camera misses the next part of the play as a result. Some of the overhead views were frustrating. I hope they iron out the kinks.
I think we're stuck with this for the duration unless the Leafs somehow make it to Edmonton.

Reactions: Rob Brown

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly is back baby!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best guy on ice by 10 country miles.

Mik and JT played some hockey.

Did not notice Matty at all but he does this at times all season.

Hyman played his game and created.

Ceci and Marty are MAJOR issues. Barrie is a MINOR issue. Boys if you don't want to play then don't lace em up. Barrie scored a ZERO on da give a sh*t meter. Keefe lets play to win and move Rielly back on #1 PP. You don't play your ACE on PP#2.

Overall slow paced game with some nice skill plays. CBJ's won't play this type of game.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Only disappointment for me, other than the presentation, was Nylanders piss poor effort on the Habs 2nd goal, looked like old times.
He hasn't built up enough of a resume to be floating through a game.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Matthews and Nylander are the kinds of players who won't put in much effort in an exhibition game, so I'm not really concerned.
Rielly looked like the Rielly of old which would be huge. He wasn't the same this season.

It was literally an exhibition game and they were our two best and most consistent players all season. I get nobody's lost their mind yet, but of course the pitch forks came out at them (as usual) and we heard "lazy, floating, invisible, soft", etc. If they struggle in game 1, then lets talk.

In reality the only players that I was actually somewhat evaluating (as much as you can get from an exhibition after 4+ months off from real games) were Rielly, Fred, and Robby. Rielly because I wanted to see if he was finally healthy-he was flying, Fred to see if he's ready to get lit up by a much worse team-that was the exact performance we need, and Robby to see if he was out of place-he wasn't. All three passed with flying colours and we won against a far inferior team. Just take the W.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It was literally an exhibition game and they were our two best and most consistent players all season. I get nobody's lost their mind yet, but of course the pitch forks came out at them (as usual) and we heard "lazy, floating, invisible, soft", etc. If they struggle in game 1, then lets talk.

In reality the only players that I was actually somewhat evaluating (as much as you can get from an exhibition after 4+ months off from real games) were Rielly, Fred, and Robby. Rielly because I wanted to see if he was finally healthy-he was flying, Fred to see if he's ready to get lit up by a much worse team-that was the exact performance we need, and Robby to see if he was out of place-he wasn't. All three passed with flying colours and we won against a far inferior team. Just take the W.
I tend to agree with you but point is valid Willy and Matty floated around doing nothing that game. This was a get ready game. JT and Kerfoot did not float around. We need to get their give a sh*t meter up. So much skill and so little effort that game.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

This wasn't a normal exhibition game before an 82 game season. I expected a little more urgency and effort from some, follow the Captains lead.
Lets hope they can flip the switch.

Reactions: Cobra777 and rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad