Post-Game Talk: Hockey is back - Leafs Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I tend to agree with you but point is valid Willy and Matty floated around doing nothing that game. This was a get ready game. JT and Kerfoot did not float around. We need to get their give a sh*t meter up. So much skill and so little effort that game.
This wasn't a normal exhibition game before an 82 game season. I expected a little more urgency and effort from some, follow the Captains lead.
Lets hope they can flip the switch.

They were both good/great in the first 1.5 periods, and they barely played at all in the 3rd because we were on the PK the whole time. I guarantee nobody would have had a problem if they finished a couple of the great chances in the 1st, but that's just hockey. :dunno: Sure they didn't have an overall good game, but a) nobody always has a good game, and b) it was an exhibition, I'm glad it was yesterday and not Sunday.

I fully expect them to be our best two players, like they were all season and last playoffs when the games become real.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That Robertson Kerfoot Kapanen line looked really good, I am not sure if Robertson plays game 1but he will play
I would keep it together. OMG Kerfoot is so much better at centre. And he looks back to full health too. Night and day improvement over his play in season. Switching him to wing and big head shot he took must have really taken a toll on him. To me he was top 5 guy after Rielly. But still need to see him in a tough banging type of game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They were both good/great in the first 1.5 periods, and they barely played at all in the 3rd because we were on the PK the whole time. I guarantee nobody would have had a problem if they finished a couple of the great chances in the 1st, but that's just hockey. :dunno: Sure they didn't have an overall good game, but a) nobody always has a good game, and b) it was an exhibition, I'm glad it was yesterday and not Sunday.

I fully expect them to be our best two players, like they were all season and last playoffs when the games become real.
Amen to that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I hope so ... da stats by Sportsnet showed them with most ice after Rielly on team ... Keefe was encouraging them both verbally and with ice all game long but it was not to be ... those boys need to hit da switch ... Matty needs to take a big hit to start game to wake him up

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
A few points:

- Tavares and Kerfoot line look great.

- Robertson looks calm on the puck and intense in puck pursuit. Really liked his first game.

- Rielly and Tavares look fully healed

- Steady performance by Andy

- PK looks great

- Ceci looks pretty good

- Barrie looks as bad as ever. No defense, and cant handle the puck either.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Oh I get that. But Freddy has been notorious for slow starts. More so than most I would guess. It’s the same conversation every year November and early December.

Thats not really true though. His 2nd and 3rd season in Anaheim he was like 97% and 95% saves after ten games and was the only one showing up on the team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would keep it together. OMG Kerfoot is so much better at centre. And he looks back to full health too. Night and day improvement over his play in season. Switching him to wing and big head shot he took must have really taken a toll on him. To me he was top 5 guy after Rielly. But still need to see him in a tough banging type of game.

Yeah that line was impressive

Reactions: qqaz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Curious on what the thoughts were on the opening montage to COVID?

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Too bad that the win did not officially count for the 2019-2020 season, but the win and two short handed goals should give the Habs and their fans something to think about. They were lucky that the previous three games during the season came on the second half of a back to back.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I mean sure they were okay but Montreal doesn’t exactly have the high end talent we do. AM should have dominated. Our PP was a mess. This is an area we should have added a goal or two. Look I get it that this was an exhibition game but we are going to be facing a very well coached team who stuck it to TB last year. Anything but our best is not going to cut it!

PP will hopefully come with time.

That well coached team that stuck it TB is very different looking. Duchene and Panarin led CBJ in points and with them both gone I just don't think they will have the scoring threats to keep up with us.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
if robertson plays game one he would be the first 18 year old to play for the leafs in the playoffs since teeder kennedy in 1944. thats crazy to think about.

and yes, its a play in not playoffs but still..thats impressive.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm angry right now! WTF were the stinking Habs doing using OUR LEAFS DRESSING ROOM for last night's exhibition game.!!!.

That dressing room should be for the exclusive use of our Leafs.!!!. If this was an NHL mandated occurrance, I just lost some more respect for the League.

They could be the 'home' team without subplanting our Leafs from their sanctuary.

I'm OUTRAGED.!!!.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
if robertson plays game one he would be the first 18 year old to play for the leafs in the playoffs since teeder kennedy in 1944. thats crazy to think about.

and yes, its a play in not playoffs but still..thats impressive.

from what I saw last night, he should be on the team ahead of Engvall at the very least.

Reactions: Merrrlin and qqaz

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It was an exhibition game against an uninspired inferior opponent. Wait for a few games against the Bluejackets.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Completely agree. Couldn't be happier with what I saw from Kerfoot.

Make no mistake, the guy is a 3rd line "tweener". But lots of teams have players like that plugging a spot or 2 in the top 6. Being on the 3rd line is perfect for him. I'm going to start calling him 'the fisherman', because he belongs at C.

Scoring numbers will probably always be a bit less than you want from him, over the course of a season. But being streaky doesn't mean being bad. I'd rather him than some stone handed giant who can't keep up and holds back talented wingers like Robertson.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I'm angry right now! WTF were the stinking Habs doing using OUR LEAFS DRESSING ROOM for last night's exhibition game.!!!.

That dressing room should be for the exclusive use of our Leafs.!!!. If this was an NHL mandated occurrance, I just lost some more respect for the League.

They could be the 'home' team without subplanting our Leafs from their sanctuary.

I'm OUTRAGED.!!!.
That's not all! I hear Price peed on the Leafs logo before the game!

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Completely agree. Couldn't be happier with what I saw from Kerfoot.

Make no mistake, the guy is a 3rd line "tweener". But lots of teams have players like that plugging a spot or 2 in the top 6. Being on the 3rd line is perfect for him. I'm going to start calling him 'the fisherman', because he belongs at C.

Scoring numbers will probably always be a bit less than you want from him, over the course of a season. But being streaky doesn't mean being bad. I'd rather him than some stone handed giant who can't keep up and holds back talented wingers like Robertson.

Was going to make a post on this:

Kerfoot played like a 3C..... and I mean that as a complement. On a contending team, he did everything we needed. His offence will go up and down, but he is smart, crafty and will work

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Andersen playing well last night was the biggest takeaway.

If he got lit up, the conversation around him and being a slow starter would been insane the next 3+ days.

We need him to be excellent if we've got any chance to go on a deep run.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Kerfoot played like a 3C..... and I mean that as a complement. On a contending team, he did everything we needed. His offence will go up and down, but he is smart, crafty and will work
And he didn't give up too much on the other end. If he can continue to be solid in our own end and chip in offensively every now and again, I'm happy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Andersen playing well last night was the biggest takeaway.

If he got lit up, the conversation around him and being a slow starter would been insane the next 3+ days.

We need him to be excellent if we've got any chance to go on a deep run.
I hope he can be steady Freddy on Sunday night ... we don't need a hero burger but playing a game like last night would be great with me ... he should relax if we can get through play in

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Not promising to hear Kerfoot talking about the poor quality of the ice (“the ice was sloppy and it was hard to make plays,”). And when this gets rolling there will be up to 3 games/day on that ice. Probably better for the grinding teams and bad for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad