HF Wrestling Draft 2018 - Discussion Thread #2

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
By next year, I’ll be submitting obnoxious 30-minute PowerPoint presentations titled “Previously on...”

Has anyone else kept rough continuity in their cards over the years? I’m like Mike Keenan, incorporating my same core of 3rd-5th rounders.
I debated it this year but ultimately found it too restrictive. Wanted to be able to go a different direction.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I submitted my card this morning.

Now last year was my first year in the draft and I came I last place. I was fine by that as I had pretty limited knowledge. Just from what I remembered growing up (born in 1983).

This past year I have gotten into wrestling a bit more and my card is significantly better. I am proud of this years card. I still lack a lot of knowledge of the Japanese guys and the indies guys but my card is actually something I legit would like to watch.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I submitted my card this morning.

Now last year was my first year in the draft and I came I last place. I was fine by that as I had pretty limited knowledge. Just from what I remembered growing up (born in 1983).

This past year I have gotten into wrestling a bit more and my card is significantly better. I am proud of this years card. I still lack a lot of knowledge of the Japanese guys and the indies guys but my card is actually something I legit would like to watch.

Your roster is one that I’ve kept my eye on the most. There’s, like, three matches I suspect that you will do that will be jaw-dropping.

Reactions: Habsrule

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Okay cool I have everything saved in a word doc if it ends up being a mess when I send it. Also,removing pictures are no big deal at all so I can just remove them too they're not important, no need to cause a headache and work for you if it doesn't work right.

I am pretty excited to see everyone's card because I purposely have followed no ones picks, so I am ready to be surprised. It also means I have zero idea how my card stacks up in the slightest!

I've paid little attention to anyone's whole roster, but I do take note of who drafts only modern guys, who is heavily into Japanese wrestlers, who watched WCW, what is quipourquoi doing, who likes old school etc. Mostly so that I can get a sense of when wrestlers I want might go. I will probably like the cards that most present what I like, but there is room for creativity to sink or elevate a card.

By next year, I’ll be submitting obnoxious 30-minute PowerPoint presentations titled “Previously on...”

Has anyone else kept rough continuity in their cards over the years? I’m like Mike Keenan, incorporating my same core of 3rd-5th rounders.

I do somewhat, but ultimately it is too difficult. I view mine like a territory with random acts coming and going over time. I will be bringing back a tag team that I created two years ago though, and their history will be noted.

I also have a list of JackSlater guys somewhere that I can pull out when I need something. For instance I decided to expand a match and take WALTER, but he was picked shortly before I planned to take him. I subbed in Gary Albright, confident that I enjoy him and that no one else was planning to take him.

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
I have typed my card up , I'm mostly old school as well . Trying to add some new stuff , but it's hard , my ideas are mostly for old guys. I love my card , but think I need to shorten it ……
There is lot's of creativity in mine , just see if that elevates it or sinks it .... could go either way lol Hopefully there are some voters with a warped sense of humor :thumbu: like myself

Reactions: CHGoalie27

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have a feeling a lot of peoples cards are going to be pretty even this year, not sure though. There's actually a lot of guys in free agency I still like, mostly old schoolers, but didn't want a massive card.

Reactions: les Habs

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Motorhead is the best part of my card, hahahah.

I've seen Motorhead probably 6 times. They're insane.
Best part of anyone's card. Theyband Pantera are the 2 bands that I grew up on and will kill me for never having been lucky to have seen. The chances I did have always had sone bull shit come up.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I have a feeling a lot of peoples cards are going to be pretty even this year, not sure though. There's actually a lot of guys in free agency I still like, mostly old schoolers, but didn't want a massive card.

Yeah, I was thinking of drafting more guys and really making an expansive card, but I think my card as it stands is really strong and really clean.

I'll have to see what is out there before reserving judgement, but I think there will be gulfs. Some don't seem happy with their own cards as is.

how are we planning to book first round matchups ? 1 vs 16 , and so on ? random ?

I would think random would make the most sense.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Anyone else come up with new/original gimmicks for any of their guys? I have for two of mine, well technically a three of them. Also I've come up with an original faction.

This being my first card, no. Still if I had the same group of guys next year I could come up with about as many new matches, so a full card,, without drafting anyone new. Of course of late I've been struck with a bit of an @quoipourquoi bug and have a crazy card in my head which could mean no "previously on..." for you. :D

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Anyone else come up with new/original gimmicks for any of their guys? I have for two of mine, well technically a three of them. Also I've come up with an original faction.

I combined two wrestlers to make a tag team. ‘The Perfect Storm’ Tye Dillinger and Hurricane Helms.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sorry Sheppy but I am guessing a KISS and Limp Bizkit concert at your card makes me voting for you as an automatic no, that sounds like a terrible time. :laugh:

I usually vote by looking at two cards and if they were the same night which one I would pick going to.

Reactions: theedge9

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Sorry Sheppy but I am guessing a KISS and Limp Bizkit concert at your card makes me voting for you as an automatic no, that sounds like a terrible time. :laugh:

I usually vote by looking at two cards and if they were the same night which one I would pick going to.
KEEP ON ROLLINNNN BABY

But yeah, I'm not a fan of either of those bands, honestly. I just wanted a mix in there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like doing original gimmicks or factions. I definitely have a new faction or two, one of which is somewhat inspired by Smoky Mountain Wrestling of all places. Nothing too far out there in terms of gimmicks though, which disappointed me really as I thought that I would be more active on that front. For fun I am attempting to put Reigns right though by putting him in what I view as basically the ideal situation for him.

I am also planning to have my card in by Sunday night. I knew what I wanted for each of the wrestlers by the time I picked them so it shouldn't be too difficult. Additionally, I too like my own card. In fact I am certain that I like my own card better than anyone else's. That is as it should be.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad